Has anyone ever seen this before?

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Postby Flamethedragon » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:40 am

My son got a bearded dragon for his birthday after a year of research and proving he can be responsible. We have never had a beardie before but are really enjoying him and learning a lot. Has anyone ever seen a beardie pick up stray cricket legs and drop them in the water dish? I dont mean the incidental cricket leg in the mouth falling into the water when drinking, I mean he went around his enclosure picking them up and bringing the to the water dish. He has done this at least 3 times now and it is like he is "cleaning his room". Anyone else ever seen this behavior? Obviously, it's not a problem, just not something we expected!
Flamethedragon
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Has anyone ever seen this before?

Postby MrSpectrum » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:12 pm

Flamethedragon wrote:Has anyone ever seen a beardie pick up stray cricket legs and drop them in the water dish? I dont mean the incidental cricket leg in the mouth falling into the water when drinking, I mean he went around his enclosure picking them up and bringing the to the water dish. He has done this at least 3 times now and it is like he is "cleaning his room".

Either that, or he's trying to brew some "cricket tea". :laughhard:

They're individuals, and sometimes they do weird stuff. I think most everyone here has stories, and we hope you'll keep regaling us as he develops.

My guy paper-trained himself--imagine our surprise and delight! :laughing6:
He doesn't pick stuff up, but like a lot of them, he's real good at flinging it around the enclosure! :lol:
I posted some of his weerdness [sic] here. :wink:

Welcome to the Lizard Coop! :P
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:06 am

What a cool behavior!!!! Mine doesn't pick up after himself, but I'm happy to note that he avoids walking through or stepping in his poop when I'm not there to clean it up right away. 😄
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Juvie Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:18 am

JumpinJellyfish wrote:What a cool behavior!!!! Mine doesn't pick up after himself, but I'm happy to note that he avoids walking through or stepping in his poop when I'm not there to clean it up right away. 😄

I'm not sure which I'd rather have--paper trained, or filth avoidance. Coupla days ago he did his once out of ten times missing the paper (on top of his basking tower no less), and then dragged himself through it. :angry5:

The little asshat.
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby AHBD » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:19 pm

If he starts throwing greens in there he's making cricket soup. :lol:
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Flamethedragon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:39 pm

No greens in the water yet! It goes between cricket legs in the water and pooping in it. Quite hilarious to think about though😂
Flamethedragon
Newbie Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Maybe he's trying to tell you what he thinks the crickets smell/taste like? :lol:
Have you tried any other feeders yet?
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Flamethedragon » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:39 am

I just placed an order for black soldier fly larva. He loves mealworms and superworms, so we are going to try those and see how he likes them.
Flamethedragon
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:53 am

Flamethedragon wrote:No greens in the water yet! It goes between cricket legs in the water and pooping in it. Quite hilarious to think about though😂

There you are , you have your reason , he hates a stinky home , and has discovered submerged poo and submerged cricket legs aren't as smelly.

Crickets get pretty stinky when they die and go off ( expecially ---- think rotten prawns - pew !!! ) the legs still have meat inside them and when it goes off , it'll stink..

I've have water skinks and bearded dragons do the habitual pooing in their water dish thing , I no longer keep a water dish in my dragons' tanks because of this behavior.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby MrSpectrum » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:54 am

kingofnobbys wrote:There you are , you have your reason , he hates a stinky home , and has discovered submerged poo and submerged cricket legs aren't as smelly.

Hmmm... I wonder if that could be why ZaRDoZ chooses to hit the paper towel (most of the time)? :dontknow: It's definitely faster, easier, and less disruptive (to him) to clean up.
I noticed that from the git-go (as others have observed) after he goes, he gets as far away from it as he can.

Whew... Himz a stinky dragon! :laughing6:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Behavior