Is it ok to run the shower spout over them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 18 month old BD who enjoys soaks but the only way I can get her to poop regularly is by putting her in my bathtub and taking the shower rod then spraying her back and tail with the stream. It doesn't seem to hurt her but holy smoke she will poop in about 20 seconds the second I start spraying her. I don't know if it is the pressure, or vibration, or if it is uncomfortable and makes her need to poop. She never blackbeards at all during all of this. Just instantly poops. Do you think it is o.k. to still do this? I only do this if she hasn't pooped in weeks. She eats her greens daily, and her dubias, plus a horn worm every 3rd day. Her temps are spot on. She had a bad case of cauccidia when she was about 9 months old and didn't poop for months. Then she was on so much medication she stopped pooping again. I think sometimes that her shoot might be as little weak?

Soooooo..... Shower o.k. or not o.k.? Oh! And this is water only no soap or anything.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would think it's ok as long as the stream isnt too powerful and it doesnt seem to bother her.

-Brandon

renoholdway

Original Poster
Enclosure is 36x20x24. T5 10.0. Temps on basking side 94-98. Temps on cool side 84 Temps on cave 78. CHE Hester keeps tank at night 68-70. She doesn’t like the hot a lot. If it goes over 100 she wants out. Tile flooring.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
renoholdway":117i6oio said:
Enclosure is 36x20x24. T5 10.0. Temps on basking side 94-98. Temps on cool side 84 Temps on cave 78. CHE Hester keeps tank at night 68-70. She doesn’t like the hot a lot. If it goes over 100 she wants out. Tile flooring.
Bee pollen is good for digestion maybe invest in getting that maybe offer a water bowl for her to lay in or waterfall since she likes the water so much

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I would try to avoid getting that strong a stream into her nose or ears (infection).

Some folk espouse de-chlorinated/conditioned water (e.g. products like Reptisafe®); others say tap water is fine (though I would think it would depend on the quality of one's tap water) or filtered tap water.

I don't know, and I think water conditioners are a gimmick. I just use distilled water; it's inexpensive and I have a system. A half gallon of distilled water fills the dishpan I bought for beardie-baths to just the right level. I've got a large (qt.) measuring cup, pour the water into a saucepan, and heat to 95°F± (measured with a temp gun). Pouring that amount of water into the dishpan at room temperature cools it to exactly 90°F±, which falls within the "ideal" beardie-bathing temp. :)

I also use distilled water in a spray bottle for spritzing in the enclosure (for whatever reasons). :)

renoholdway

Original Poster
Yes I totally avoid her head and ears with the shower. The weird thing is she likes the spray head in the sink too but never poops in the sink. When and if she poops in her enclosure she make sure not to get her tail or feet in it and climbs to the highest furthest place away from the poop until I get home and clean it out. I’m thinking the only reason she doesn’t poop in the sink is because it’s to confined and she doesn’t want it floating into her LOL. Can we say DIVA!!!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
renoholdway":vu10gj3q said:
When and if she poops in her enclosure she make sure not to get her tail or feet in it and climbs to the highest furthest place away from the poop until I .... clean it out.
Mine was the same way... ...until today. He's paper-trained (90% of the time, anyway). When he misses the paper, it's on the tile floor near the paper. Today, after stuffing himself with dubias & super worms for supper, he let go on top of his basking tower/mountain about 5 min. before "lights-out"--first time ever. :x He produces very wet feces (not diarrhea--just a lot of water), and it ran down between the tiles and down between & inside the bricks the tower is built from. It's going to take me a couple of hours to tear the structure down, clean everything up, and rebuild...

He can be a real asshat at times. :roll:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
renoholdway":2iers33i said:
They are so high maintenance at times LOL. But we love them!
Love is a pretty strong word. I find them fascinating, entertaining, and at times a real PITA.
I LOVE chocolate, and no doubt it will be/lead to my downfall. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom