My baby beardie's hind leg got hurt and need advice ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my UV lamp was set up improperly and I knocked it into my beardie's tank and it clipped her. She was able to climb onto her basking spot, but it looks like she's barely using her hurt leg, if at all. Do i need to take her to the vet? I'm in full panic mode :(
107413-3603272461.jpg
107413-2713996759.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Poor thing!

The main concern right now would be whether or not the leg broke. And then the next concern would be keeping that open wound clean so that infection doesn't set it.

You can tackle that second concern right now by applying some raw unpasteurized honey to the wound. It has great healing properties and is a natural antimicrobial so it will help keep the infection away.

Just because she isn't wanting to use the leg doesn't mean it's broken necessarily. It can just be badly hurt, just like when we hurt a muscle and don't want to use it.
If you have a vet nearby, it definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to get an xray done of the leg to verify whether or not the leg is broken. If it is, you want to find out sooner rather than later.

I imagine all your vets are closed at this time, so try to apply the honey (be gentle, it's probably painful) and see about getting an x ray in the morning.

Keep us updated please.

-Brandon

BedheadBrandon

Original Poster
claudiusx":1uqmv7qi said:
Hi there,

Poor thing!

The main concern right now would be whether or not the leg broke. And then the next concern would be keeping that open wound clean so that infection doesn't set it.

You can tackle that second concern right now by applying some raw unpasteurized honey to the wound. It has great healing properties and is a natural antimicrobial so it will help keep the infection away.

Just because she isn't wanting to use the leg doesn't mean it's broken necessarily. It can just be badly hurt, just like when we hurt a muscle and don't want to use it.
If you have a vet nearby, it definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to get an xray done of the leg to verify whether or not the leg is broken. If it is, you want to find out sooner rather than later.

I imagine all your vets are closed at this time, so try to apply the honey (be gentle, it's probably painful) and see about getting an x ray in the morning.

Keep us updated please.

-Brandon

Ok, so I just saw her jump to her hammock (again, barely using her leg), and then lift her hind and try licking her wound. She's still seeming really active and I don't know if that's a good sign or not, but I'm going to get honey right now!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No crickets in the tank!!!!! They will go straight for the leg w/ the honey!
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Never leave crickets in the tank--- they come out at nite and will bite your dragon----- make sure you check every nook in cranny- I would check your tank in about 1/2 he after lights out to see if any have popped out--- also I would switch him over to dubia roaches- they are better nutritional wise and easier to keep- they don't chirp they don't stink -- if you want more info please ask
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, I hope she didn't break it. Is there anything that she could have scraped it on?
Definitely try the raw honey, that will help to clear up the wound pretty quickly.
If you have any loose substrate in your tank, be sure to remove it so that the wound stays
clean right now.
If she is in a lot of pain, you could consider lowering his basking spot & adjusting the lights
to accommodate the distance changes so she doesn't have to climb & hurt her leg more.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

BedheadBrandon

Original Poster
Drache613":2tr7xf9t said:
Hello,

Poor thing, I hope she didn't break it. Is there anything that she could have scraped it on?
Definitely try the raw honey, that will help to clear up the wound pretty quickly.
If you have any loose substrate in your tank, be sure to remove it so that the wound stays
clean right now.
If she is in a lot of pain, you could consider lowering his basking spot & adjusting the lights
to accommodate the distance changes so she doesn't have to climb & hurt her leg more.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
Ok, so it's been a little bit and she's still very active. She's been climbing and running, BUT she still doesn't use her hurt leg... kinda. She's moves the whole leg itself, but wont bend her knee or ankle. The area around the wound has gotten darker and her whole foot seems to be darker than the rest. This brings a new worry to mind. Is her foot going to fall off?? Please help!
107413-4066352113.jpg
107413-4542036797.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you putting unpasteurized honey/ mix w/ warm water on it? I can't tell if that is shed or infected- Tracie or ahbd needs to look at this
Karrie

BedheadBrandon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":22tt1wx6 said:
Are you putting unpasteurized honey/ mix w/ warm water on it? I can't tell if that is shed or infected- Tracie or ahbd needs to look at this
Karrie
I don't know if it makes a difference, but she has just begun started to look like she's shedding on her face/nose! Fingers crossed it's not infected :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you been using the honey? I sure hope so. If not, the wound has a high chance of getting infected. Then it would need to be amputated before the infection spreads or becomes systemic. it looks questionable right now. Hopefully its preshed but if you are not willing to go to the vet you MUST be applying the raw honey.

-Brandon

BedheadBrandon

Original Poster
claudiusx":1yh9fzlk said:
Have you been using the honey? I sure hope so. If not, the wound has a high chance of getting infected. Then it would need to be amputated before the infection spreads or becomes systemic. it looks questionable right now. Hopefully its preshed but if you are not willing to go to the vet you MUST be applying the raw honey.

-Brandon
So it's been a while and i dont see much progress on the physical look of the leg. She seems to be putting a little pressure on it to move around, but it still looks swollen. Should we see a vet for this? :(

107413-9517723512.jpg
107413-9690361088.jpg
107413-4390688301.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We've asked multiple times now if you've been using the honey, or anything at all. You're not really updating us with what you're actually doing. We cant help you if you dont tell us what is or isnt being done.

At this point, Yes you should see a vet.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom