Half bioactive half tile

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
I love how you did his home!❤ Plus it's nice and roomy.
I question the full length uvb tube. I've seen a lot of discussion about having bulbs only up to 2/3 or 3/4 of the length of the viv so they can get away from the uvb rays without having to go in a hide. Like everything, I'm sure it depends on opinion. Obviously you think it best, why? Don't be offended! I do the WHY about everything! LOL! ?
I do like the half and half though. I'd like to figure out a way to do the other half with a compact, rocky, Dragon sorta natural habitat. Any ideas?
-Dee

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
DragonPete":328vt9pc said:
I question the full length uvb tube. I've seen a lot of discussion about having bulbs only up to 2/3 or 3/4 of the length of the viv so they can get away from the uvb rays without having to go in a hide. Like everything, I'm sure it depends on opinion. Obviously you think it best, why? Don't be offended! I do the WHY about everything! LOL! ?
I do like the half and half though. I'd like to figure out a way to do the other half with a compact, rocky, Dragon sorta natural habitat. Any ideas?
-Dee
I thought it was best he does have tons of shade I do plan on switch to a 24 inch tube bulb soon he has grown super fast I'll switch out when the time comes he'll be older it's good for the plant side too but I also wanted him to get uvb while he basks where most of his time is spent but he has the ledge to relax under or how my hammock has shade under where the stairs lead up too and it is wide floorspace and the uvb light fixture to the back too idk if that would make a difference of where its hitting and you dont have to worry about offending me

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
DragonPete":1u4fc7hy said:
-Dee

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
DragonPete":283bbfna said:
-Dee
For that I'd make some type of packed down substrate for borrowing I'd mix clay with topsoil and some sand and some coconut fiber and sphagnum moss I'm not sure if that excavator clay brand for reptiles would do but play sand from lowes and some oragnic topsoil and sift the topsoil so it's finer and before i filled the substrate down i layer the bottom both a thin layer of coconut fiber and same with the top so he can destroy it as he may and it keeps the middle nice and moist doesn't effect humidity top and bottom will stay dry the sand acts as a drainage layer I use oak leaves for leaf litter some people but cork bark In there too for the clean up crew to hide etc i didnt I seen alot of bio substrates with charcoal in the mix or as the drainage layer but I want to add orchid bark into my mix alot of people have it in their substrate

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
DragonPete":jlwdvf19 said:
Thanks for the ideas. ?
Will give it some thought and research before I settle on his new viv.
-Dee
Yea as I said before two substrates IMO is best and I totally like it across it all just fits my set up better with the plants on the left side and the basking with the tile on the right I give him a ton of options inside the enclosure aswell though and it never has seemed to bother him and didnt het the thought that it would until you guys mentioned it but again hes growing and I do tank him outside the tank often but i probably will make it 24 inches of uvb instead of 48 because like you said he can decide to be in the uvb rays or not is there anyway I could block off half the fixture or something is that a good idea

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
You are with your Dragon every day, you know if he's healthy and happy. If things are good for him, you're golden. I wouldn't concern myself too much. Your viv may be a little different than average. Who says you have to be 'average' when it has served to be beneficial for you and your buddy. ?
Personally I like the half/half viv. As far as your uvb, he has plenty of places to go, he's not in a wide open space with nothing but a tube light. IMO you're fine.
-Dee

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Wickedpogana":1efbogem said:
DragonPete":1efbogem said:
Thanks for the ideas. ?
Will give it some thought and research before I settle on his new viv.
-Dee
Yea as I said before two substrates IMO is best and I totally like it across it all just fits my set up better with the plants on the left side and the basking with the tile on the right I give him a ton of options inside the enclosure aswell though and it never has seemed to bother him and didnt het the thought that it would until you guys mentioned it but again hes growing and I do tank him outside the tank often but i probably will make it 24 inches of uvb instead of 48 because like you said he can decide to be in the uvb rays or not is there anyway I could block off half the fixture or something is that a good idea
It can be partially blocked with a piece of fiberglass window screen, it will allow light through and cut UVB by almost 50%, just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom