Switching from Reptisun T8 to T5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, so currently I have been using a Reptisun 10.0 T8 bulb. Its the 18" and its mounted inside the tank about 10 inches from the basking spot. My beardie has been pretty lethargic and not eating very much. He has been to the vet who did x-rays and didn't see signs of MBD but I am wondering if the UVB hasn't been enough. After doing some more research I found that the T5 is actually suppose to be the superior bulb. So the question is, is the difference between the T5 and T8 enough to warrant the cost of the new lighting setup? And if I do, can I mount it in the same place with only 10 inches to the basking spot or is that too close for the larger 22" T5? The tank itself is a 40 gallon breeder.

Thank you

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The only difference between the two is that the t5 is effective at a greater distance.

Ideally you want the t8 reptisun to be 8 inches or so away, not 10. And it's good practice to replace them every 6 months.

You can achieve the same proper UV level with both, they just need to be at different distances to achieve that.

If you get the t5, you need to have it mounted 12-15 inches away from the basking site to achieve the proper uv level. At 10 inches it will be a bit too intense.

Hopefully that answers your question. They both provide the same thing.

What are the temperatures in your tank?
How old is your dragon? Could he just be brumating?

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T 5 is a stronger bulb but it will not fit into a 18" fixture-- you would need to get a bigger fixture like a 22" or 24"-- I find it odd that the dragon is developing mbd w/ a T 8- is there a reflector on the fixture and how old is the T 8 and is the a cover over the bulb?They need to be changed out in 6 months-- T 5's can sit on top of the screen at certain distances depending on the type of screen-- fine screen 6-8 inches from basking decor wide hole screen 8-10- from basking decor--I recommend you put it inside tank approx 12-15 inches from basking decor
Karrie

Dogstar5988

Original Poster
Ok thank you, I only was worried about MBD it wasn't confirmed by the vet. His basking spot is about 105 degrees, cool side usually in the 70s. The T8 is less than 6 months old, no cover. The dragon is only 7 months old himself so I can't imagine he is going into brumation. He's young enough that I don't really know what is normal for him yet. I'm really just comparing him to other dragons I see on Youtube. He is never interested in running for his food like I see others doing. I either have to bring the bugs to him or grab him and put him down by the insect or salad bowl to get him to eat. And I never really see him standing on all four feet, if he's not moving he is mostly resting on his belly.

81415-510016242.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well your fixture doesnt have a reflector so you'll definitely either want to make one out of tinfoil, or go ahead and switch.

Without a reflector, the t8 really actually needs to be nearly only 4 inches away. Reflectors effectively double the uv exposure.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom