We WON’T eat our veggies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 very picky dragons! Neither one will eat veggies. They are both over a year old; one is almost 2. I have tried almost every veggie out there; they won’t eat them. I’ve tried dusting them with B-pollen, nope! Right now, the younger of the two, is next to her bowl with veggies AND superworms. She’s not interested. The older one, Lizzie, has been on again off again brumating. Lulu’s done that, too but she’s been awake lately. Neither one has lost any weight. They are willing to eat waxworms, superworms, dubia, hornworms and butter worms. I don’t feed crickets, and they won’t eat fly larva.
I’m going crazy! This has gone on the whole time I’ve owned them. Everyone says, “Just keep trying!” I’m going broke throwing away vegetables and buying large amounts of insects! It has gotten to the point I’m thinking of rehoming them. Maybe someone new and a new environment will get them to eat. I’m not doing such a good job at this.
Before you ask, they are both in separate 36”x18”x12” ExoTerra glass enclosures. Both have Super Glo UVB/UVA self ballasted heat bulbs. Basking temp 95. There’s an extra Reptiglo 10.0 compact UVB bulb at the cool end. Tile substrate. Rocks and wood to climb on and faux fabric plants to explore. Temps taken by laser temp gun. Cleaning once a week, spot cleaning when necessary. They rarely poop in their houses, normally while in their bathtub. They don’t poop very often, but I’ve figured it’s winter, they’ve been sleeping off and on and, no veggies.
Can anyone help? I love them dearly, but I can’t get their food regulated! If someone else can, let me know, I’ll think about it. Thanks for any and all help anyone can give!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The first thing I would do is get rid of this There’s an extra Reptiglo 10.0 compact UVB bulb at the cool end-- here is some info on UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- At this point I am not familiar w/ the Super Glo your using but it has everything to do w/ lighting - I would get the basking temps up to 95-110- - others are gonna haft to weigh in on that Super Glo your using -- some of the All on Ones are good and then some arent -- but that Repti Glo I would ditch that
Karrie

Kayleebirdy

Original Poster
Just checked on Amazon for, hopefully, the bulbs you were talking about. Is the brand name Zoo Med Repti Sun? I believe it was a 10.0 UVB bulb. They were $24? Or a hood and bulb for $54, same brand. And this is going to get my dragons to eat their veggies how? Please understand, I have no problem changing their enclosures for what’s good for them, but before I spend over $100, I need to be darn sure this will work. I’m 66, and on a pretty fixed income. I’m also somewhat disabled, so keeping a close watch on my money is a priority. I also have a red belly parrot, a ball python, (who’s cage upgrade is coming), a Western hognose, a Rosy Boa and a dog. So, it’s not just me, I have other babies to think about. If the Repti Glo’s are as hazardous as you’ve said, I’ll remove them. I just installed them a month ago for extra UVB protection. When she’s awake, Lizzie has been enjoying hers. She has basked under her heat bulb, then her UVB a little later. Lulu doesn’t seem to care either way.
As for raising the basking temp,neither one will stay under their lights very long if it’s too hot. Since I’ve had Lizzie the longest, she was okay with a higher temp when she was little, but now she’s older, and especially since her surgery to remove unpassed eggs, she doesn’t like it as hot. When I brought Lulu home, I had her spot at 100. She kept moving away from it, so I lowered it to 95 and she’ll lay there again.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I understand about the income- and yes you need the Reptisun 10.0 bulb - here is a website that has a fixture 24" for $32 and you can get the Reptisun bulb there as well or the Arcadia 12% bulbs--- both are good bulbs- you would need to order 22" bulbs--- check it out
www.pangeareptiles.com- as far as the superglo bulbs I am not familiar w/ them and the reptisun bulbs are a T 5 so they are a stronger bulb than the T 8's- it's good to offer a gradient heat for basking usually a decor piece from PetSmart or Petco has them beings you have a picky dragon and the heat thing- look on line at PetSmart at their habitat decor they have different log pieces they are easy to clean -- let's see who ways in on this superglo bulb--- some others on here might know more about them and ideas of what's going on w/ the dragons
Karrie

Kayleebirdy

Original Poster
Thanks, Karrie! I appreciate the heads up on the lighting. I actually found a light fixture on Amazon for $27 while I was looking at bulbs. When scouting for deals, I go everywhere! The python enclosure I have coming is from Animal Plastics. It was on sale for $165! I’ve looked at ones that were twice that price, not as big (4’x24”x12”tall) +sh&hand. All together with a few upgrades installed mine, with shipping was $235! That is a steal!
I’ll check pangea and several other places like eBay and maybe Craig’s list. My Dad used to be an aquarists, and some old friends may have a 22” fixture for free. I’ll check. Thanks again.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Kayleebirdy":35dr4p0b said:
I have 2 very picky dragons! Neither one will eat veggies. They are both over a year old; one is almost 2. I have tried almost every veggie out there; they won’t eat them. I’ve tried dusting them with B-pollen, nope! Right now, the younger of the two, is next to her bowl with veggies AND superworms. She’s not interested. The older one, Lizzie, has been on again off again brumating. Lulu’s done that, too but she’s been awake lately. Neither one has lost any weight. They are willing to eat waxworms, superworms, dubia, hornworms and butter worms. I don’t feed crickets, and they won’t eat fly larva.
I’m going crazy! This has gone on the whole time I’ve owned them. Everyone says, “Just keep trying!” I’m going broke throwing away vegetables and buying large amounts of insects! It has gotten to the point I’m thinking of rehoming them. Maybe someone new and a new environment will get them to eat. I’m not doing such a good job at this.
Before you ask, they are both in separate 36”x18”x12” ExoTerra glass enclosures. Both have Super Glo UVB/UVA self ballasted heat bulbs. Basking temp 95. There’s an extra Reptiglo 10.0 compact UVB bulb at the cool end. Tile substrate. Rocks and wood to climb on and faux fabric plants to explore. Temps taken by laser temp gun. Cleaning once a week, spot cleaning when necessary. They rarely poop in their houses, normally while in their bathtub. They don’t poop very often, but I’ve figured it’s winter, they’ve been sleeping off and on and, no veggies.
Can anyone help? I love them dearly, but I can’t get their food regulated! If someone else can, let me know, I’ll think about it. Thanks for any and all help anyone can give!
doesn't sound like you have the tube uvb light that's what you need reptisun 10.0 t5 bulb 36 inches so it's ober your whole enclosure all in one basking bulbs aren't enough and 12 inches in width isn't enough floor room unless the 18 in wifth is the floor width then is good try introducing them to live plants they're cheap , wrap a mealworm or superworm in some greens like a burrito and feed it to him try some dandelion greens they're usually dragons favorite but if your down to your last resort use baby food and use a syringe drippy thing obviously nothing with a needle and use it to smear the baby food on his lips and he will lick away haha

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
If money is an issue go to ace hardware or a hardware store like home depot. lowes or menards you can get a flourescent light fixture for 10 bucks or so maybe even less and then go online and get Reptisun t5 10.0 should be 20$

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Kayleebirdy":unomjdws said:
Thanks, Karrie! I appreciate the heads up on the lighting. I actually found a light fixture on Amazon for $27 while I was looking at bulbs. When scouting for deals, I go everywhere! The python enclosure I have coming is from Animal Plastics. It was on sale for $165! I’ve looked at ones that were twice that price, not as big (4’x24”x12”tall) +sh&hand. All together with a few upgrades installed mine, with shipping was $235! That is a steal!
I’ll check pangea and several other places like eBay and maybe Craig’s list. My Dad used to be an aquarists, and some old friends may have a 22” fixture for free. I’ll check. Thanks again.
you need a 24 inch fixture or 34 inch since those are the sizes of the uvb bulbs 48' too or for you it would br better a 48 inch since that's the length of your upgrade and 48inches is the length of my light fixture you can find them cheap at hardware store or look for 55 gallon aquarium light fixtures pn facebook market or Lego those can be used and are 48 inches but the 48inch repti sun is 40$unlike the 24inch which is 20

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the fixtures at Lowe's or home Depot do not have reflectors in them - they are cheap because of that---- second UVB's do not need to be the length of tank because if the dragon wants to not be under those rays he has no choice but to hide from them if the fixture runs the tank - we have had too many dragons on here hiding from the UVB because it was running the length of tank - recommended is 2/3 of tank
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":25kvktpt said:
Ok the fixtures at Lowe's or home Depot do not have reflectors in them - they are cheap because of that---- second UVB's do not need to be the length of tank because if the dragon wants to not be under those rays he has no choice but to hide from them if the fixture runs the tank - we have had too many dragons on here hiding from the UVB because it was running the length of tank - recommended is 2/3 of tank
Karrie
Okay I got you mine runs through the whole tank but the floor space is very wide and he has hides on both sides and a mushroom ledge for shade near his basking area and even can under his hammock for shade do you think I should shorten my fixture to 36inches ? My tank is 48inches in length
Mine is also ontop of a screen and is only t8 10.0 I learned after the fact I need t5 for screens but it's not even used for two months my fixture is aluminum polished so very reflective and I was suggestion the cheap ones without reflectors for a mount setup

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
@wickedpigona-- the T 8 is not strong enough to go thru the screen - basically your dragon is getting no UVB- I would shorten the fixture to a 36" if you want - I have a 4x2x2 and use a 24" and it works just fine-- it's a T 5 inside the tank--- I just recently switched the Arcadia 14% to the 12% bulb so it's at aT 5 distance- if you have a fixture w/ no reflector and it's not set up properly the Ray's are going everywhere but to that dragon----- I always recommend fixtures w/ the reflectors so your sure he's getting those rays--
Karrie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Not a suggestion for the squeamish, but you could also try smashing up their favorite bug(s) and coating the greens with that. My little buggers will dig through a mile of kale to get a single hornworm, but this can be used to one's advantage...

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":2w8xk6eu said:
@wickedpigona-- the T 8 is not strong enough to go thru the screen - basically your dragon is getting no UVB- I would shorten the fixture to a 36" if you want - I have a 4x2x2 and use a 24" and it works just fine-- it's a T 5 inside the tank--- I just recently switched the Arcadia 14% to the 12% bulb so it's at aT 5 distance- if you have a fixture w/ no reflector and it's not set up properly the Ray's are going everywhere but to that dragon----- I always recommend fixtures w/ the reflectors so your sure he's getting those rays--
Karrie
What if I temporarily took the screen lid off it can sit on the ledges of the tank perfectly please lmk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom