Possible Contagious Hepatitis? HELP ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdishon95

Hello, I would really appreciate the help here, as I own many bearded dragons and have been struggling as of late.

In June of last year, we purchased a couple bearded dragons at the San Diego Reptile Supershow. One of them grew for about a month of two and then stopped at 12" long. His appetite was very minor, pooped fine, fecal came back with Flagellates a couple of months later, so we treated it. Still no appetite, got bloodwork done and they found elevated white blood cells indicating he was fighting some kind of infection. We got injectable medication, which instantly made him start declining and ultimately led to us putting him down. The necropsy showed that he had a discolored liver, and i believe they said there was a mass attached to it of some kind. Fast forward 3 months, I have 2 females now that are showing similar symptoms. Both stunted growth around 12-13", each are about 8 months of age. One of them refusing food alltogether and hiding under her substrate as much as possible, and other hides, but periodically comes out, takes a few bites and then goes back to hiding.

I am worried that whatever is going on, might be contagious. I have over 30 dragons, and over the years have never had any issues until recent. ANY assistance would be awesome. Just for background information on the set ups because i know i'll be asked.

Reptisun 10.0 T5, paper towel substrate, hot side has a piece of tile for stomach heat, light provides 105 temp, cool side 85.
Greens provided daily, staple foods are Supers, Dubia, BSFL, and the occasional Hornworm.
I dust with Repashy Calcium+ daily, occasionally using Minerall.

Please let me know thoughts!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The tanks your using were they sanitized after use of the dragon that passed? Also the T 5 is it in the tank or on top of the screen? The tile for the stomach heat is not good - dragons heat from their backs not their stomachs - how are you taking the basking temps? Digital probe? Infrared heat gun? Stick ons? I have a 8 month old and hes 15 inches - dragons do grow at their own rate - but they should be eating more than they are - it is possible for them to brumate at this age but they are usually much bigger than the 12-13 inches your describing -- do you currently have over 30 dragons or have had over 30 dragons? I dont think Hepatitis is contagious -- I think that sounds like something your dragon that passed was something genetic -- please take pics of the dragons and their tanks and we can better help-- have you been keeping a weight on them and are they losing weight? What about hydration have you been giving them water or baths to keep them hydrated?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic - it should post
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Dpending on the breeder and the morphs you bought, it could just be unhealthy genetics. Especially of you have been buying the newer fancier morphs that haven been around lately. And even more so if not from a trusted reputable breeder of those morphs.

12 to 13 inches at 8 months is very small. My 3 month olds are typically Bigger than that. Usually I'd attribute it to poor husbandry, but your setups sound fine.

What are the quantities of food they are eating?

And curiously, who are their breeders?

Can you post pictures of them and their setup?
But really, they are quite small for 8 month olds.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, I don't think the hepatitis would be contagious, but there could definitely be some
genetic issues. Have you tested them for adenovirus? That seems to be a really big problem
which causes a myriad of health problems. The adenovirus is notorious for attacking the liver
& will show inclusion cell bodies on tests when it is tested for.
Please post some pictures of your dragons & their setups when you can, so we can take a
look over them.
I am sorry you are having some trouble. You do have a lot of dragons!

Let us know how they are doing.
Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
F10-sc is needed to sterilize the tanks.

If some of your dragons have ADV, chances are they are all infected now, you should stop breeding them as selling the offspring and surplus adults is spreading the ADV virus to other collections.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are your dragons doing, any updates for us? Let us know how they are doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom