Food Portions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How do you keep them? Do they get their own tank? A bin? Do they need heaters and stuff too?

I'm wondering if it's worth it to start a dubias colony or not.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
DragonQueen3":sv3ijq9e said:
How do you keep them? Do they get their own tank? A bin? Do they need heaters and stuff too?

I'm wondering if it's worth it to start a dubias colony or not.
A bin would be fine and I heard some use heatmatts under them but I dont think is needed if your room is around 70 to 80 degrees maybe put some egg crate things in there for to crawl on but if u wanna go for something more pretty to look it I think it would be cool to have a colony in a little 10 to 20 gallon tank lol but I've even heard I've people just using giant tubs for their dragons even since cheaper and able to get a bigger size couldn't be me though but perfectly fine if u use a container for the colony just make sure it was ventilation and you could put small pvp pipe or something similar in there as they would like to hide in it and then u just pick that up instead of grabbing them one by one I think dubia are one of the easier to colonate and another con is they have one life stage and just get bigger so you have all sizes at all times theres a couple other debatable easier like black soldier fly larvae but I like dubia becuase like I said one life stage no molting, also heard they will die if they escape off in your house cause its dry and cold .
Edit: I do not keep them myself I know keepers who do and have second hand experience I had a colony of mealworms and had to toss the whole thing because it grew fungus becuase I didnt take out the vegetables enough

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have to go get salad supplies today. Can you guys suggest any vegetables that my guy might eat if he likes mustard greens?

I thought about trying cilantro but that doesn't have much calcium in it. Also maybe a bell pepper or something?

I currently buy country time greens which is collards, mustard and turnip greens all mixed together. I think I'm going to also grab Kale this time around since its curly like mustard.

Mainly looking for veggies or herbs I can use for some variety. I do have some Zilla fruit and veggie mix but they aren't that interested. Although, maybe I'll use that tonight and see if they end up liking it

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Country time greens sounds ideal. I don't think cilantro is used for all the time but adding a little to other greens for variety and change in taste.
Keep in mind that high water veggies like bell peppers can often lead to loose stools. Petey only gets a couple pieces because of that. Shredded butternut squash is good. Shredded carrot occasionally. Diced summer squashes like yellow and zucchini work well. I don't peel the yellow but do peel the zucchini which is what I read. I usually add a few tiny slices of red grape or melon. He's not big on fruit. Doesn't care for Apple or Cantaloupe or banana or strawberry or watermelon, none of which should be fed often anyway. It's all trial and error. If your store has a salad bar maybe pick up a bite of several different things to see what he likes. Saw that suggested and agree it's a good way to try new things. (Thanks to Mr Spectrum ?)
-Dee

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think I might try some squash since the reptile store recommended that today as well.

Is butternut squash the only option?

Also my dragons don't care much for fruit either. Some veggies yes but fruit is ignored

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
DragonQueen3":3snkia94 said:
I think I might try some squash since the reptile store recommended that today as well.

Also my dragons don't care much for fruit either. Some veggies yes but fruit is ignored
any type of squash butter nut, summer etc

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
DragonPete":2zgtv3bo said:
Country time greens sounds ideal. I don't think cilantro is used for all the time but adding a little to other greens for variety and change in taste.
Keep in mind that high water veggies like bell peppers can often lead to loose stools. Petey only gets a couple pieces because of that. Shredded butternut squash is good. Shredded carrot occasionally. Diced summer squashes like yellow and zucchini work well. I don't peel the yellow but do peel the zucchini which is what I read. I usually add a few tiny slices of red grape or melon. He's not big on fruit. Doesn't care for Apple or Cantaloupe or banana or strawberry or watermelon, none of which should be fed often anyway. It's all trial and error. If your store has a salad bar maybe pick up a bite of several different things to see what he likes. Saw that suggested and agree it's a good way to try new things. (Thanks to Mr Spectrum ?)
-Dee
Turnip greens, collard , bok choy it's kinda like mustard greens , dandelion greens , endive , eacarole, chicory , basil occasionally parsley also occasionally here this is the page I use for getting an idea of what to feed him it has alot not everything but almost http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
DragonQueen3":9ijrzv24 said:

I believe squashes come in 2 categories, summer and winter. Summer squashes are the soft yellow, crookneck and green zucchini, and variations of them. Winter squashes are your butternut, acorn, Hubbard and other hard squashes. I shred hard squashes just like carrots or sweet potato. Dice the softer summer squashes. Hope this helps.
As for fruit, trial and error. Have yet to find any that Petey really likes. But with the variety of veggies he eats, it doesn't concern me.
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom