Please help....VERY bloody beardie poop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Cburger2":27sa3h7e said:
Wickedpogana":27sa3h7e said:
she possibly can not be digesting her food right becuase no uvb light and the pellets are causing her red stool (MAYBE)you should've seen if the consistency was that of blood d get some bee pollen it's a natural antioxidant and anti inflammatory and helps the digestive track and digestion and if you have a all in one basking bulb with uva and uvb that still is not enough uvb to you need the repit sun t5 10.0 bulb

Hi ! I actually have a mercury bulb which is both a heating source and UVB source. I know this is not the typical set up, but my doctor has seen it various times and has okayed it as well, as she has great bone health! I can promise you it is not due a bone disease or a lack of calcium digestion!

I will take you up on the honey. Hopefully that will help some. I will also be calling her vet as soon as they open this morning. Thanks a lot!
Yea it isnt enough uvb you need it across the whole tank need the florescent uvb light tube hence the undigested poops like I said all in one mercury bulb isnt enough uvb alarming your vet didnt already Inform you of this its not honey either I said bee pollen

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Yea it isnt enough uvb you need it across the whole tank need the florescent uvb light tube

I'd agree to get rid of the coil, but would make sure there's at least some place the dragon can go to get out of the UV like a hide or a section not covered by the tube. A Reptisun 10.0 T5 with reflector or one of the Arcadia "Desert" tubes (10%+) is what I have seen recommended by senior posters here, and I am using one of each type right now (1 per viv) for my 2 dragons' cages. Also, they're expensive, but a UV meter is probably a good investment so you can orient your UV for proper exposure and determine when the bulb needs changing. Without that, you're dependent on mfgr. distance charts and remembering to change them out within their recommended tube lifetime specs. The problem with both is that you can get bad batches of tubes from time to time and would have no way to tell.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Aaradimian":2m8bczwb said:
Yea it isnt enough uvb you need it across the whole tank need the florescent uvb light tube

I'd agree to get rid of the coil, but would make sure there's at least some place the dragon can go to get out of the UV like a hide or a section not covered by the tube. A Reptisun 10.0 T5 with reflector or one of the Arcadia "Desert" tubes (10%+) is what I have seen recommended by senior posters here, and I am using one of each type right now (1 per viv) for my 2 dragons' cages. Also, they're expensive, but a UV meter is probably a good investment so you can orient your UV for proper exposure and determine when the bulb needs changing. Without that, you're dependent on mfgr. distance charts and remembering to change them out within their recommended tube lifetime specs. The problem with both is that you can get bad batches of tubes from time to time and would have no way to tell.
His basking bulb is a al in one uva and uvb and something other I think but it nowhere enough to only have that as your uvb source this is what he needs no no question https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-reptisun-100-ho-t5-uvb-lamp-39-w-34-l-2214184?cm_mmc=PSH-_-GGL-_-CAL-_-PME-_-PET-_-AQU-_-0-_-PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY19_SBU05_Reptile_SMRT-_-Product_Listing_Ads-_-Smart_Shopping&kpid=go_2048431194_72464714356_358518304314_pla-775458204683_m&utm_config=tad0iunwp&utm_campaign=PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY19_SBU05_Reptile_SMRT&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKCAiA1rPyBRAREiwA1UIy8GqhU5UmWnHDtuZLRropYffrvh67RwaWlO2DwkEx1AO1EuZd3ne8tRoCo58QAvD_BwE they gave different sizes aswell

Cburger2

Original Poster
Wickedpogana":2anr77z8 said:
Aaradimian":2anr77z8 said:

His basking bulb is a al in one uva and uvb and something other I think but it nowhere enough to only have that as your uvb source this is what he needs no no question https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-reptisun-100-ho-t5-uvb-lamp-39-w-34-l-2214184?cm_mmc=PSH-_-GGL-_-CAL-_-PME-_-PET-_-AQU-_-0-_-PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY19_SBU05_Reptile_SMRT-_-Product_Listing_Ads-_-Smart_Shopping&kpid=go_2048431194_72464714356_358518304314_pla-775458204683_m&utm_config=tad0iunwp&utm_campaign=PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY19_SBU05_Reptile_SMRT&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKCAiA1rPyBRAREiwA1UIy8GqhU5UmWnHDtuZLRropYffrvh67RwaWlO2DwkEx1AO1EuZd3ne8tRoCo58QAvD_BwE they gave different sizes aswell

Listen guys, I know that most people set up with a UVB tube and heat lamp, but my MVB emits plenty of UVB emissions. Don’t believe me? Look at the chart and the brand that I use. I have the distance set up properly as well, and it keeps her basking area at 106 degrees which is perfect for her. My vet has okayed it and I’ve kept her alive for over 3 years. She’s in perfect health other than her bout of bloody diarrhea which was found to be egg binding , and already getting treated. Thanks so much for your advice, but I assure you she will be fine. In the mean time I’ve already been planning a new set up for her much larger tank .
107196-5315978816.jpg
107196-6532516046.jpg

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Cburger2":1dkri1aq said:
Wickedpogana":1dkri1aq said:
Aaradimian":1dkri1aq said:

Listen guys, I know that most people set up with a UVB tube and heat lamp, but my MVB emits plenty of UVB emissions. Don’t believe me? Look at the chart and the brand that I use. I have the distance set up properly as well, and it keeps her basking area at 106 degrees which is perfect for her. My vet has okayed it and I’ve kept her alive for over 3 years. She’s in perfect health other than her bout of bloody diarrhea which was found to be egg binding , and already getting treated. Thanks so much for your advice, but I assure you she will be fine. In the mean time I’ve already been planning a new set up for her much larger tank .
107196-5315978816.jpg
107196-6532516046.jpg
Its only in one spot and that means she gets it only she bask and she cant get much at all since you dont even have a dome lamp for reflection, bulbs output less and less over time that isnt sufficient I'm sorry to inform you but I know the basking bulb your using the 160 watt you need reptisun uvb no question good luck otherwise since you dont sound like you want to give your dragon UVB take him out in the sunlight since . Even if it was outputting sufficient uvb which it isnt it's only in one small area and since your upgrading your tank it definently wont do and your dragon is bigger then he once was you need more UVB find a new vet

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Wickedpogana":3hc07bmu said:
Cburger2":3hc07bmu said:
Wickedpogana":3hc07bmu said:
Aaradimian":3hc07bmu said:

107196-5315978816.jpg
107196-6532516046.jpg
Its only in one spot and that means she gets it only she bask and she cant get much at all since you dont even have a dome lamp for reflection, bulbs output less and less over time that isnt sufficient I'm sorry to inform you but I know the basking bulb your using the 160 watt you need reptisun uvb no question good luck otherwise since you dont sound like you want to give your dragon UVB take him out in the sunlight since . Even if it was outputting sufficient uvb which it isnt it's only in one small area and since your upgrading your tank it definently wont do and your dragon is bigger then he once was you need more UVB glad my opinion was correct on the egg binding and vets dont know everything especially with silkbacks if I was you I'd get a new veterinarian alarming they didnt tell you you need reptisun 10.0
Edit: I seen you have the mega ray not the all in one 160watt which would be better imo you still need uvb reptisun 10.0

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, the megaray is a powerful bulb. And it wouldn't be related to this issue anyways.

So how did the vet come to the conclusion of egg issues? That's unfortunate :(
What is the treatment plan the vet is suggesting?

-Brandon

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
You got away with it because of your 30 gallon enclosure which is too small but let's tackle the uvb light he will get close to none in the 60 gallon your upgrading him too I hope you decide to upgrade and buy a extra uvb tube light

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Goodluck otherwise hope everything turns out a okay some of us may come off strong with opinions but that's just cause we care

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The megaray actually puts out quite a strong beam of UVB. It's a powerful bulb. But you are right, it doesnt provide UV to a larger area of the tank like a long tube would. However, that's not always a bad thing as the dragon needs to be able to escape the rays when it wants to.

At this point, the OP has made it quite clear that he is comfortable with his UV setup and since this is his thread, it's best we leave it at that. And like I said, UV really doesnt have anything to do with the specific issue at hand. So let's just focus on helping with what is being asked :)

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup, I have a few super and mealworms beetles in my dubia colony. Although I'm not sure how good a job they're doing. If I was their boss, I'd fire them lol.

-Brandon

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
claudiusx":3w0p667k said:
The megaray actually puts out quite a strong beam of UVB. It's a powerful bulb. But you are right, it doesnt provide UV to a larger area of the tank like a long tube would. However, that's not always a bad thing as the dragon needs to be able to escape the rays when it wants to.

At this point, the OP has made it quite clear that he is comfortable with his UV setup and since this is his thread, it's best we leave it at that. And like I said, UV really doesnt have anything to do with the specific issue at hand. So let's just focus on helping with what is being asked :)

-Brandon
Yes it's all subjective thanks for your different view on it and opinion I learn also from reading other threads even if it isnt mine but I respect his uvb choice if so be it , just was laying out the cons and pros

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

How is your girl doing tonight?
Still interested in how your vet came to the conclusion of egg issues and what the treatment plan is. Hopefully you can come back and give us all an update. Hope your girl is doing well :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom