Horribly smelling poos - and pooing just the white stuff!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been on this site in ages - but here I am again to ask a couple of questions maybe I'm doing something wrong.

So recently I changed my 2 year old's diet from Dubias (and some greens that she refuses to eat but I place in there anyways) to dubias, plus some superworms (or morio worms) and the occasional Repashy (buffet kind). And noticed since the change she has done smaller poos (like sometimes its just the white stuff only ..unless she mashed the brown into the carpet) and the smell it leaves is horrendous.
Like I just spot cleaned and cleaned the wood with vinegar water this morning and my whole room still reeks! Its not that its a bad smell - its more that it's stronger than ever.
Could this be diet related?

Obligatory background info:

Tank is 45cm by 45 cm by 90.
Substrate: repticarpet
Lighting: Heatlamp is 100w mounted inside the tank (its winter here tho so its quite cold and I switch it off for an hr or two in the afternoons)
UVB is a tube light not sure the brand but I've always had them and my vet recommended them to me (was changed last Nov/December)

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Could be possible parasites if the stink is real bad --------------- please look at the UVB and see what brand and bulb it is -- T 5 or T 8 --- it will tell you- proper basking temps and UVB will keep the parasites at bay - the dragon can fight them off it is common for them to have some but if lighting and temps are not proper he wont be able to control them - white stuff only is urate or pee - the UVB also has control over the digestion as well more so w/ absorption of calcium - but we need to narrow the issue down first w/ lighting etc --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Could we get pictures of her and the tank?

Your basking bulb wattage really doesnt matter. What we need to know is what the temperatures are and what you use to measure them. Mainly what your basking surface temp is.

Is there a reason you turn off the heat bulb in the middle of the day?

The first step with poo and digestion issues is verifying proper temps as they single handedly play the largest role in all this. Once temps are verified we can look down other paths.

-Brandon

MorganaTheSatyr

Original Poster
thanks for replying so quickly!
Her uvb is T8 (18w)

I switch off the heat lamp for maybe 30 mins because its a 100w and i usually buy her the 75w since its mounted inside her tank. It gets hot shes hardly ever directly under it but she still stays on the warm side.
I don't have heat measuring equipment so i cant tell the exact temps.
Ill try take a picture of the enclosure soon (i just got home)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so that was the next thing I was going to ask --- basking temps and how are you taking them ? You need to get a digital probe from petco or pet smart for like $5 -- and I would invest in a infrared heat gun as well -- you can get those at your local home improvement store for around $10 - $12 -- you will use it --- take the probe put it on the place where she sits to bask for 10 minutes get temp - these things are very important
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Definitely go pick up a digital with probe end thermometer so you can measure. Luckily they are pretty cheap now a days.

There is nothing more important to the health of a dragon than temperatures. So having a device to measure and maintaining proper temperatures is just as important as remembering to feed your dragon. I really cant stress that enough.

And since proper temps are required for proper digestion, that has to be the first step you take to figure out what's causing this issue with your girl.

-Brandon

Mack92011

Just a heads up as well, I didn't see it mentioned earlier (If it was mentioned, my bad!), but UVB bulbs need to be changed about every 6 months. They light will stay the same overall, but the amount of UVB radiation can degrade. Just thought I'd mention that since it sounds like 6 months is coming up soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom