Deciding On Next Lizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
I seem to have misplaced the stuff for her tank aside from those logs. Time to go shopping...what to get what to get :/

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
They really don't need much. A lot of decor is more for our benefit than theirs.
You've seen how spartan Z's home is. The plants are more for us to look at, and him to climb/jump on/eat/destroy.

BTW, I just noticed the ½ log hides in yours.
Wood for Vivariums
Same goes for any logs or climbing decor. In general, softwoods--BAD; hardwoods--GOOD. :wink:

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
They're the zoomed huts, those and the log were each given when I got her from the breeder. I can toss them if they're not safe, albeit she'll hate me for it :oops:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Before I got my dragon, I could have sworn the Habba Huts were finished with some kind of sealer.
After I got him and went looking for one, all I found were the unfinished ones.
I don't really know if they changed, or my memory was/is faulty. I wound up returning the one I bought.

I know some people have them and claim no problems, yet they could be off-gassing VOCs into the enclosure, depending on species, age, and other factors. Sealing them yourself is one option other than replacement. I tend to be a "better safe than sorry" guy, so you should probably dig into it on your own and come to your own conclusions/decisions.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Im normally an "it is what it is" type of person but my beardy is the exception. Ill replace the huts, but I still dont know what with.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Well, you've seen I have bricks now, but prior to that, I built a hide from some single tiles (Home Despot) with a slab of shale (landscaping/garden store) across the top. I've also tried scraps of oak for the sides and a scrap of birch plywood for the top. There are all kinds of ideas.
DIY bearded dragon hide

Funny thing is, he's never used any of them--but he's weird. :lol:

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Im leaning towards leopard gecko, but it'll either be that or another beardy.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Anyone else have a hard time not getting a new lizard every time they pick something up from the pet store? (Yes I know the perils of pet store lizards, mine was directly from a breeder)

If anyone knows of breeders or shows in the Cleveland Ohio area, please let me know.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Not sure what "area" means--Ohio? Include Detroit? Include Buffalo? I made the limit at a certain # of miles. If there were a particular breeder I wanted to meet in-person, or larg(er) show I wanted to see, I might extend that distance.

The best I can suggest is:
reptile shows cleveland 2020
Holy Toledo (sorry, couldn't resist :laughhard: ), you've got one that's monthly! :blob8: (I'm envious! :mrgreen: )

reptile shows ohio 2020
reptile breeders ohio 2020
...and modify parameters from there

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Probably looking at anything within 50 miles of Cleveland. Searching for shows is fine & all, but user accounts of breeders is more helpful than listing every breeder within X miles...

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
One thing I did after finding which shows I wanted to attend, was going to each show's website, and getting a list of vendors. Still had to weed out the ones I was looking for vs. didn't care about, but it helped.

I'm guessing that by "user accounts" you're referring to social media? :dontknow:
I (personally) didn't have much luck there, but I don't subscribe to those sites/services.

I did get some clues/hits on a site called Voofla.com (breeders that weren't listed elsewhere, and more info about them) and on morphmarket.com

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
By user accounts, I mean first hand experience.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Well I know you were saying that you were looking for something that can fit in a 20 gallon but a species I always recommend even though they're a little expensive to acquire is ackie monitors they are pure insectivores and are a blast interact with plus you can house them together the most that you can have and have it still be relatively reasonable when it comes to an enclosure would be for three females and one male and you can keep them in an 8-foot enclosure with that many and they will be perfectly fine I personally recommend a 10-foot enclosure for four of them 10 ft long 2 foot wide 3 ft tall. but for one of them it's just a little bigger than your average bearded dragon enclosure instead of a 40-gallon you want to go to a 50 gallon tank are 4 ft long by 2 foot by 3 foot would be fine for just one they're a blast to interact with when they get older they will beg for your attention. they are highly intelligent animals and they will react to your voice and easily recognized it they will also perk up when they hear somebody they don't recognize red ackie monitors tend to get larger than the yellows at least from my experience I always prefer the color of the reds and their patterns. But I won't paint it as nothing but good I will say some of the challenges of having ackie monitors in general monitors they do eat a lot when you first get them ass babies and hatchlings they won't be as ravenous but as I get older their appetite only increasekind of think of them as a two-year-old child if they can get into trouble they will get into trouble but they are a beginner monitor and very good for getting into monitor lizards in general if you're interested in going into other species of monitors. Plus they are. Insectivores so if you have your own colonies for your bearded dragon to feed them insects from then you're already set I feed my dubia roaches mealworms occasional waxworms and crickets. PM me if they interests you then I can direct you to a couple of useful care guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom