Please help....VERY bloody beardie poop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cburger2

Hi! I’m absolutely scared to death. I have a 3 year old female bearded dragon, who just started pooping blood tonight, and a lot of it. She had a runny bowel movement yesterday but I didn’t think anything of it due to her being a little bit constipated the last few weeks. She’s not a frequent pooper but her vet has said that’s okay as long as it’s coming out regular, which up until today was the case. Today while giving her a bath she pooped out a MAJOR bloody mess. It freaked me out as she’s been her normal perky self , super cuddly and alert, eating just fine, and going about her normal routine. Someone please help me , is this normal? I’m planning on calling her vet in the morning but as it is 11PM my time I’m trying to ease my mind for tonight.
107411-6712892973.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am sorry to hear about your girl- others on here would need to help you-- here is a website to find a reptile vet
www.arav.org
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
What substrate were you using ? Crushed walnut shells ? Small pebbles??? Your first instinct should of been to drive to the vet not post on here maybe he isnt having frequent bowl movements because he is impacted they are great at hiding illness so no matter how active they are you have to be ready for the worst that's why you always prepare to be safe then sorry please keep us posted I hope the best for you and your reptile friend

Cburger2

Original Poster
Wickedpogana":1cemym2r said:
What substrate were you using ? Crushed walnut shells ? Small pebbles??? Your first instinct should of been to drive to the vet not post on here

I use a reptile fabric for substrate. Nothing that would cause impaction. Her vet is closed until 9AM and unfortunately it happened around 10 PM . I would have rushed her to the vet if I could but there are no exotic ER’s near where I live. I posted here once I had no where else to go to.

She’s also been eating her regular diet of turnip, mustard, and occasionally collard greens. Supplements with calcium, and sometimes flukers pellets (because she doesn’t like eating her veggies with powder over top) . And gets crickets 2x weekly. Though I’m a very paranoid beardie mom and always get her small ones in order to prevent impaction , knowing we’ll she could handle medium or even large ones!

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Cburger2":1kmkgqpa said:
Wickedpogana":1kmkgqpa said:
What substrate were you using ? Crushed walnut shells ? Small pebbles??? Your first instinct should of been to drive to the vet not post on here

I use a reptile fabric for substrate. Nothing that would cause impaction. Her vet is closed until 9AM and unfortunately it happened around 10 PM . I would have rushed her to the vet if I could but there are no exotic ER’s near where I live. I posted here once I had no where else to go to.
can you post a picture of her enclosure what do you feed her usually and what did you feed her lately

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Dont be freaking out too much it could be a period or eggs that was infertile and bind in her , mind over matter positive thoughts make positive outcomes

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I know that must be very scary.

Just to rule it out, she hasn't had anything red like berries or anything?

It does appear to be blood though.

Has she ever had a fecal test done to check for parasites?

It's possible that it's just from straining the other day. Is she black bearding at all? How is she acting? Active?

How does her vent look? No prolapse or anything like that correct?

-Brandon

Cburger2

Original Poster
claudiusx":3n3zok6y said:
Hi there,

I know that must be very scary.

Just to rule it out, she hasn't had anything red like berries or anything?

It does appear to be blood though.

Has she ever had a fecal test done to check for parasites?

It's possible that it's just from straining the other day. Is she black bearding at all? How is she acting? Active?

How does her vent look? No prolapse or anything like that correct?

-Brandon

Hi Brandon! She has eaten some red Flunkers pellets, but that’s her normal supplement as she hates to eat her veggies with calcium. She’s a stubborn girl lol. But over the last 2 years she has never pooped red before. She had a fecal test about a year ago, and had pinworms but was treated accordingly. She’s had no black beard, and has been super active! Basking as normal, running around her cage, cuddling up on my lap/shoulder/chest, and super alert. Her vent is fine, no prolapse or anything visible!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wonder if the pellets could have caused this if they were passed through the system too quickly. If they stay in awhile to digest, I'm sure it's fine. But if they pass before fully being processed, i suppose its possible that the red in them would pass.

Either way, it's good that she isnt black bearding and is acting fine. I would be inclined to stop with the pellets for a few weeks and just see what happens. I'm not a big fan of the pellets anyways, too much artificial junk in them but that's just my opinion.

I dont think it's too serious based off how shes acting. But definitely if she poos like that again it would be concerning. Getting her into the vet might be a good idea though, to get a fecal test done. I'm not sure what else could be done besides imaging. So hopefully this was just a one off incident. But I am suspicious of the pellets, especially since this stool looked really loose which is indicative of it passing through quickly.

-Brandon

Cburger2

Original Poster
107411-6670119203.jpg

Here’s her enclosure, I’m actually in the process of upgrading her space. She’s in a 30 gal, but as I just moved I’ve already ordered a 60 gal reptile condo. But she’s been content in her space for over a year and a half now, and had no problems with anything enclosed wise- other than she’s began to outgrow it. She has an 80W Solar Glo Mercury bulb. Over the last week she’s been eating collard greens and the Flunkers Buffett blend pellets. No live insects yet this week. Her basking area is kept at 106 degrees.

Cburger2

Original Poster
claudiusx":1fhrec82 said:
I wonder if the pellets could have caused this if they were passed through the system too quickly. If they stay in awhile to digest, I'm sure it's fine. But if they pass before fully being processed, i suppose its possible that the red in them would pass.

Either way, it's good that she isnt black bearding and is acting fine. I would be inclined to stop with the pellets for a few weeks and just see what happens. I'm not a big fan of the pellets anyways, too much artificial junk in them but that's just my opinion.

I dont think it's too serious based off how shes acting. But definitely if she poos like that again it would be concerning. Getting her into the vet might be a good idea though, to get a fecal test done. I'm not sure what else could be done besides imaging. So hopefully this was just a one off incident. But I am suspicious of the pellets, especially since this stool looked really loose which is indicative of it passing through quickly.

-Brandon

Thank you! I’ll try to stop the pellets , and I’m still going to take her to the vet as soon as possible . Though, I will say the pellets -brand and all- were recommended by her vet since she’s a picky veggie eater. I just wanted to say that as I often see people saying to not feed pellets to their beardies:)

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Cburger2":15olym1y said:
107411-6670119203.jpg

Here’s her enclosure, I’m actually in the process of upgrading her space. She’s in a 30 gal, but as I just moved I’ve already ordered a 60 gal reptile condo. But she’s been content in her space for over a year and a half now, and had no problems with anything enclosed wise- other than she’s began to outgrow it. She has an 80W Solar Glo Mercury bulb. Over the last week she’s been eating collard greens and the Flunkers Buffett blend pellets. No live insects yet this week. Her basking area is kept at 106 degrees.
You dont seem to have the uvb bulb which is essential for them to break down calcium and without it they will get metabolic bone diesease you need to get a uvb tube light asap in the meantime bring him outside as much as u can like after a bowl movement he needs sunlight asap since you have no uvb and make sure it's not too cold they can get respiratory infections by breathing cold air, you also want to get a dome light for your basking bulb using the metal screen fixture cause it to be filtered and get less heat to your dragon and it also doesn't have a direct beam as u would get with a dome light those are really used for ceramic heat bulbs as the metal bars will prevent it from getting too hot and I cant say it enough you need a uvb light get your buddy outside asap until you get the bulb

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
she possibly can not be digesting her food right becuase no uvb light and the pellets are causing her red stool (MAYBE)you should've seen if the consistency was that of blood d get some bee pollen it's a natural antioxidant and anti inflammatory and helps the digestive track and digestion and if you have a all in one basking bulb with uva and uvb that still is not enough uvb to you need the repit sun t5 10.0 bulb

Cburger2

Original Poster
Wickedpogana":2rzaa5qh said:
she possibly can not be digesting her food right becuase no uvb light and the pellets are causing her red stool (MAYBE)you should've seen if the consistency was that of blood d get some bee pollen it's a natural antioxidant and anti inflammatory and helps the digestive track and digestion and if you have a all in one basking bulb with uva and uvb that still is not enough uvb to you need the repit sun t5 10.0 bulb

Hi ! I actually have a mercury bulb which is both a heating source and UVB source. I know this is not the typical set up, but my doctor has seen it various times and has okayed it as well, as she has great bone health! I can promise you it is not due a bone disease or a lack of calcium digestion!

I will take you up on the honey. Hopefully that will help some. I will also be calling her vet as soon as they open this morning. Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom