Follicular stasis

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today Doris went for an X-ray and the vet thinks she has follicular stasis. Id never heard of this, but now I’ve done some research, it does look a lot like it with lots of round objects and a slightly swollen liver. He’s treated her for an obstruction, hopefully, and suggested I go back at the end of the week for another check up. Does anyone have any advice, or been through anything similar? I’m feeling very scared.

(I think Doris had a nice time at the vets, she came home perky and demanded crickets!)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey there, I know this is from back in May but did Doris actually have F.S. ? How is she doing ? EDIT.... I saw that in July she had ADV but no mention of the F.S.
Hopefully she's doing well for you !

DorisTheDragon

Original Poster
Hi :) thanks for asking.
The vet changed his mind about follicular stasis, and she seems to be fine. She didn’t lay last year, but is displaying typical springtime behaviour again now so we’ll see how it goes this time! Isn’t it amazing how much energy these lazy dragons have in spring time..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm glad to hear that the vet misdiagnosed her, she did not actually have that condition and that she's doing reasonably well. :) I was searching for threads on this subject [ F.S. ] because there's a very sad and frantic young person without enough money here on the forum who's vet simply felt her dragon's belly and says the dragon needs surgery ASAP . I think there's a good chance that the vet may be mistaken and I wanted to link your thread to show that it might be a mistaken diagnosis. I'm hoping !!

DorisTheDragon

Original Poster
We did a lot of tests last year, and it turned out that Doris had a few different health problems. Follicular stasis wasn’t one of them despite initial diagnosis. I would recommend doing tests! Sending best wishes to the dragon and owner in question.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thank you so much for coming back and updating us. It's very important to do that, you never know how much your own experiences can help someone else who is currently suffering through a similar situation. So thanks once again!

How has she been doing as of lately? What were her actual ailments?

-Brandon

DorisTheDragon

Original Poster
Happy to help others out :)

Doris had coccidia and pinworms, which took a while to sort out. She may have also had a small impaction which was treated.

The vet thought that maybe some neurological symptoms were caused by follicles pressing on her spinal cord, but the adv diagnosis explained both the swollen liver and the difficulty walking.

We wouldn’t have known about any of these without doing fecal and blood tests, then the adv test, and of course the expertise of the vet.

Now she’s her usual happy self, better at walking some days than others, and needs a lot of hydration for her liver, but still climbing and eating and digging like a happy little dragon.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well I'm so glad it worked out for you and that shes back to her normal self :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom