How do i tame my dragon??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
So i have red who is a orange hypo translusent leatherback bearded dragon. We are unsure of his age he was given to me by a friend who was forced to take him in(parents fostered a sister) and he was not very nice he eats great but was realy mean hed bite hiss whip us with his tail sit with his mouth open and go blackbeard. With much handling he simmered down but is still real skiddish and hates being picked up when hes out hes fine but makes a bolt when he can. I have red sighned up to come to reptilefest with me so i can teach people about differant scaling morphs in dragons but people cant touch him if hes getting jumpy

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If hes doing this now and his in an environment hes used to he will not be a very a happy camper to where your taking him - its possible he will become even more aggressive - the only thing that is going to tame him down is something constant and working w/ him and getting him to trust -- - and if you take him to this reptile fest its possible you will traumatize him even more so - I would advise against it ---
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
HOW TO TAME A BEAST 101:
at night put an old tshirt or beanie for him to cuddle on place him on it right before lights out he will like the softness and he will get use to your scent when feeding talk to him so he gets use to your voice and stroke him between the eyes during feeding sessions to let him know your not a threat maybe have him in a room with more traffic i try to handle mine 30 mins a day maybe more if im giving him natural sunlight or for 15mins twice a day when holding them hold them close to your body not only do they enjoy your body heat but they think theres a wall and will stay unless he climbs your shirt. being around your dragon he will tame in time if your not neglecting your beardie, is he tong fed? spray downs twice a week with a spray bottle is good for bonding too and great for their skin make sure the water isnt cold dont wanna piss him off more lol maybe you just havent given him enough time you cant rush these guys there pretty solitary and great at hiding illness.Another tip is when picking them up come from below not above they see you as a predator that way and dont grip them let them just chill onyour arm or leg they can jump from the shoulder so be warey when hes there cause they will jump if not the first few times they wont but they gain confidence and it only takes one accident to get hurt from a fall like that.the bigger they are the harder they will fall thats why its good to get them use to handling while still young. These guys can become pretty pampered like only choosing to eat by tong or handfed so dont go too crazy goodluck otherwise

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got him about 6 days after christmas he didnt switch tanks because my friend gave me the tank hes just in a new location ive put black construction paper over all the windows where another dragon or animal can see him. Ive been feeding him by hand right from his enclosure or next to it. I do talk to him and just tell him positive things like " your pretty or hello red" i will also have him sit on my lap or shoulder when i play ps4 or watch youtube ect. He will sit for a sec and then bolt when he hears something he gets scared and runs. From what im told about him, he was held very impropperly with very jerky movments quick overhead movements. Being dropped alot then being chased to be later cornered and grabbed. He doesnt bite or show agression now. Just a bit skidish

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Jacobsherps":bcnq2yh9 said:
I got him about 6 days after christmas he didnt switch tanks because my friend gave me the tank hes just in a new location ive put black construction paper over all the windows where another dragon or animal can see him. Ive been feeding him by hand right from his enclosure or next to it. I do talk to him and just tell him positive things like " your pretty or hello red" i will also have him sit on my lap or shoulder when i play ps4 or watch youtube ect. He will sit for a sec and then bolt when he hears something he gets scared and runs. From what im told about him, he was held very impropperly with very jerky movments quick overhead movements. Being dropped alot then being chased to be later cornered and grabbed. He doesnt bite or show agression now. Just a bit skidish
sounds like your doing everything you can, try to put a worn tshirt in there at night for him to cuddle he will get use to your scent. What size is his tank? maybe not use the construction paper it can mold maybe spray mod podge over it so it seals and can he clean\santized , you can always make a background out of grout and styrofoam mine currently has nothing on his sides but his enclosure isnt small for his size and i do plan on the homemade background with styrofoam and grout

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Depends on the dragon -- you will know if hes good to go --- patience is key here - just keep working w/ him-- you can use newspaper magazine pages or brown paper bags wrapping paper etc for the outside of the tank as well
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Jacobsherps":y3q4rsh6 said:
Thats a realy good idea with the sent and stuff can i do it with old socks
Yes I actually have a sock with rice in it hidden in his enclosure it lowers humidity I take it out when hes in shed to raise humidity. I'm not sure if a sock would be bug enough for a sleep bag he might crunch it up it it will fall because they wiggle to get comfy

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Wickedpogana":2ozyff3a said:
Jacobsherps":2ozyff3a said:
Thats a realy good idea with the sent and stuff can i do it with old socks
Yes I actually have a sock with rice in it hidden in his enclosure it lowers humidity I take it out when hes in shed to raise humidity. I'm not sure if a sock would be bug enough for a sleep bag he might crunch it up it it will fall because they wiggle to get comfy I personally wouldn't bring him out to something traumatic event as reptile con they get stressed from seeing bigger animals and the amount of walking u will have to do with him. What was the size of your enclosure if you didnt say

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He might if he turned from a demond lizard that can chases, bites and hisses to a dragon who just doesnt like being picked up and gets spooked by loud noises in a bit less than a month he might be good should i continue feeding by hand or should i move to tweezers so he doesnt learn im food

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do both- patience - hold for short periods of time and be consistant- so he knows what to expect-
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Jacobsherps":3r8ywbbp said:
He might if he turned from a demond lizard
Yeah... "Demon Lizard"--I like that. :p
It goes with the "Perpetually Pissed-Off" label mine already has.
Still working with him, but I know it's gonna take me longer than average.

Ya can't rush these things--they're all different individuals. Some have the aptitude for educational purposes, and some never will.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Jacobsherps":1quhnaur said:
He might if he turned from a demond lizard that can chases, bites and hisses to a dragon who just doesnt like being picked up and gets spooked by loud noises in a bit less than a month he might be good should i continue feeding by hand or should i move to tweezers so he doesnt learn im food
Do both tong feed the bugs and hand feed the vegetables and what I always do I dont know why I didnt day this sooner my #1 tip to you if he isnt biting you or that aggresive keep sticking your hand in his enclosure and stick one finger infront him kinda like a cat he will lick it this is how they smell and learn their surroundings then stroke his head and leave it at that do it a few times a day ,

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Wickedpogana":o6a0zc1g said:
Jacobsherps":o6a0zc1g said:
Do both tong feed the bugs and hand feed the vegetables and what I always do I dont know why I didnt day this sooner my #1 tip to you if he isnt biting you or that aggresive keep sticking your hand in his enclosure and stick one finger infront him kinda like a cat he will lick it this is how they smell and learn their surroundings then stroke his head and leave it at that do it a few times a day ,
If you can get him to this point everything should be A OKAY lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom