Beardie shedding - is this what it looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lalap1

107284-270765201.jpg
107284-2775840010.jpg
So my son’s bearded dragon started looking a little lighter colored on his head a couple of weeks ago, and he wanted to sleep in his cave more during the day, plus he looked a little grumpy. He finally shed some on his chin/under his mouth, but the top of his head continues to just be discolored and the skin doesn’t look like it’s loosening up at all. We’ve bathed him about once every 4 days but obviously the top of his head can’t be soaked. We also spritz him about once a day. When should we worry that it’s stuck? Or could he just be changing colors?? I have some pictures but can’t figure out how to attach, if anyone has any advice on that!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yep -- give it time it will come off - when he starts getting crunchy like spray him a couple of times a day to help w/ the shed -- you can take a soft tooth brush and gently brush him to help loosen the shed
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
they shed their back and tail and even limbs at diffrenet times can come off in parts or patches give him something rough to rub against like some rocks but not too rough where he will get cut just spray his parts down that hasnt quite come off yet never pick or peel it off no matter how much you think your helping you wont be goodluck with future sheds

Lalap1

Original Poster
Thanks. He’s she’s before but it never seemed to take as long as this has. At what point should I get worried it’s not coming loose fast enough??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It will could be a couple of weeks - dont peel it or pick at it you will do more harm than good - let nature do its thing
Karrie

Lalap1

Original Poster
But it’s already been like 2 weeks - is it okay to stay like that as long as it takes I guess??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes that's perfectly normal. As beardies get older/bigger it takes much longer to shed, some sheds can linger for a long time. Some people post info that it needs helping but sheds will come off in due time. The only areas you sometimes need to worry about is the toes or tail end, sometimes you can see a tight piece of retained shed restricts blood flow but then it's quite obvious, like a tight rubber band effect. Your dragon will shed, probably pretty soon. Here's pic of one of mine with odd shed. :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29897/full

Lalap1

Original Poster
Okay - that makes me feel better. At least I do know better than to pick at it ? Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom