Zilla Desert Series 50 T8

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Zilla Desert Series 50 T8

Postby DragonPete » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:01 pm

Hoping this will work, it's all the pet store had. Wanted the reptisun but they were out.😡

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Zilla Desert Series 50 T8

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:14 pm

It will work for 6 months its not going to be as strong as the Reptisun - put it inside the tank 8-10 inches from basking spot w/ NO cover on the bulb --- in 6 months keep the fixture and replace the bulb w/ the Reptisun 10.0 ------------ you could of ordered it on line from here www.pangeareptiles.com -- go look at that website
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby DragonPete » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:49 pm

KarrieRee wrote:It will work for 6 months its not going to be as strong as the Reptisun - put it inside the tank 8-10 inches from basking spot w/ NO cover on the bulb --- in 6 months keep the fixture and replace the bulb w/ the Reptisun 10.0 ------------ you could of ordered it on line from here http://www.pangeareptiles.com -- go look at that website
Karrie

Thanks Karrie! Just realised the 50 prob means 5.0 but doesn't say so. Pet store said they'll have more reptisun next week, might wait until I can get him a 10.0. His is inside the tank, no cover with smooth foil reflector ( As per your instructions a couple months ago👍). Guess another week won't hurt.
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:53 pm

No it wont you can use the fixture you got for the Reptisun bulb -- the bulb will work too its just not as strong --- but you now have a fixture w/ a reflector -- I have the same fixture in the basement that I used for a 20 gallon tank - its just that I had the Reptisun bulb in there - I used it last Sept when I had Kida that was totally malnourished when I got her --- she died in a few weeks --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby DragonPete » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:29 pm

KarrieRee wrote:No it wont you can use the fixture you got for the Reptisun bulb -- the bulb will work too its just not as strong --- but you now have a fixture w/ a reflector -- I have the same fixture in the basement that I used for a 20 gallon tank - its just that I had the Reptisun bulb in there - I used it last Sept when I had Kida that was totally malnourished when I got her --- she died in a few weeks --
Karrie

Awww so sorry to hear that. 😞
Already had the fixture but wanted to replace the bulb. If I'm able, I'll wait till they get some more reptisun but if not I'll go ahead and use this for a few months until I'm on my feet and can get him a better one. As long as it will suffice, we're good.
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Gormagon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:52 pm

I have to say this but a 5.0 t8 is nowhere near strong enough for a dragon, a 10.0 t8 is barely strong enough. IMO
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby DragonPete » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:54 pm

Gormagon wrote:I have to say this but a 5.0 t8 is nowhere near strong enough for a dragon, a 10.0 t8 is barely strong enough. IMO

Then I'll hold off and take it back to exchange for the reptisun 10.0 next week when they have more.
Thanks hon!
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:59 pm

DragonPete wrote:
KarrieRee wrote:It will work for 6 months its not going to be as strong as the Reptisun - put it inside the tank 8-10 inches from basking spot w/ NO cover on the bulb --- in 6 months keep the fixture and replace the bulb w/ the Reptisun 10.0 ------------ you could of ordered it on line from here http://www.pangeareptiles.com -- go look at that website
Karrie

Thanks Karrie! Just realised the 50 prob means 5.0 but doesn't say so. Pet store said they'll have more reptisun next week, might wait until I can get him a 10.0. His is inside the tank, no cover with smooth foil reflector ( As per your instructions a couple months ago👍). Guess another week won't hurt.
-Dee

I'd return it unused still in box and exchange for something else , order in an Arcadia 12%UVB tube by mail-order would be my advise .

Zilla's UV sources are very dodgy quality wise.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Gormagon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:00 pm

DragonPete wrote:
Gormagon wrote:I have to say this but a 5.0 t8 is nowhere near strong enough for a dragon, a 10.0 t8 is barely strong enough. IMO

Then I'll hold off and take it back to exchange for the reptisun 10.0 next week when they have more.
Thanks hon!
-Dee

Anytime my friend!!!
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby DragonPete » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:02 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:
DragonPete wrote:
Karrie

-Dee

I'd return it unused still in box and exchange for something else , order in an Arcadia 12%UVB tube by mail-order would be my advise .

Zilla's UV sources are very dodgy quality wise.

I just checked out the link Karrie gave me and I can get the Arcadia WITH shipping for $8 less than what I just paid for this one. SMH I'm taking it back! Geez!
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Gormagon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:47 am

Correct me if I'm wrong here but, I think the Arcadia 12% is a T5 and you have a T8 fixture. I know it gets confusing at times and very frustrating but such is the life of a dragon slave!!!😁😁😁
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:17 am

She can get the T 8 from same website ---
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby DragonPete » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:56 am

Gormagon wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong here but, I think the Arcadia 12% is a T5 and you have a T8 fixture. I know it gets confusing at times and very frustrating but such is the life of a dragon slave!!!😁😁😁

Karrie's correct, they have the Arcadia T8, I'm ordering it.
Was very happy to see Arcadia made a T8.
👍
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Gormagon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:13 pm

DragonPete wrote:
Gormagon wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong here but, I think the Arcadia 12% is a T5 and you have a T8 fixture. I know it gets confusing at times and very frustrating but such is the life of a dragon slave!!!😁😁😁

Karrie's correct, they have the Arcadia T8, I'm ordering it.
Was very happy to see Arcadia made a T8.
👍
-Dee

Did not know this!!!!!!
Learn some new everyday😳😳😳
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures