Food Portions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Hello all,

I am wondering how much you would feed a 8-9 month old male dragon? He is currently eating 3 times a day

I give him mustard greens, dubias roaches and super worms everyday. He was eating crickets as well but stopped when he started shedding.

It seems like he is never full ?? I give him a big bowl of greens for breakfast with nothing else or he won't eat them lol, after an hour or two (because i live at work) I give him between 6-10 medium dubias roaches and at least 10 crickets up until yesterday. This is happening lunch and dinner

Also was eating maybe 6-10 supers a day as he is a rescue and wasnt eating veg yet, but now I'm cutting back since he's eating everything else.

Should I be feeding him more??? He gained 50 grams within a week and a half with me, so I upped the greens but still seems so hungry.

Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here is a website for nutrition -- try adding variety to his salads
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
What size bugs are you feeding him? Usually dubias will fill them up since hes eating everything else - mine is a male eating one time per day - I feed salad first thing in the morning w/ 1-3 worms supers a horn worm and butter worms- then I will feed him his dubias --- for the most part hes done for the day eating - I will leave his bowl in there to pick what he has not completely eaten - his salads consist of kale / or turnip and collard greens some zucchini or yellow squash w/ some prickly pear pads some apple or grape depending on what I have in the house -- some red pepper once in awhile - just a variety of green / vegies --
Karrie

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So far the only thing he will willingly eat is Mustard greens. I've slipped in maybe 1 piece of collard greens and then he will just refuse until he sees the curly end of a mustard piece again.

I have been attempting to add the Zilla fruit and vegetable mix for some variety but none of the dragons seem interested in that or the salad dressing either. I've tried using strawberries and cucumber as a treat but he didn't care about those either.

Mainly feeding medium sized dubias and crickets. Stopped crickets yesterday though ? also the supers like I said. Just eats everything.

Maybe I'll offer salad twice a day instead

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks really good ! I see he lost a rear foot but that doesn't stop them from leading healthy lives.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I rescued him in January. He was really skinny - the store thought he was only 5 months, but I think he's older based on length. They said his entire clutch came in that way and he had it the worse.

One leg has no foot and the other was amputated up to the knee.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think I gotta switch over to mainly dubias for food now though. At least for the male dragons because they eat a ton. My female is only into super worms at the moment, although she did eat some greens yesterday.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's best to continue a variety of insects, dubias have a very high protein content and can contain high levels of uric acid so in the long run there's at least some possibility that it could be a contributing factor in developing gout. You could cut back some of the superworms but keep up with crickets if you can and feed a lot of veggies.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Young beardies 80%insects and 20% veggies and for adults its reverse 80% veggies and 20% insects (protein) but this is a rough draft I pretty much already have him on his set diet I'm gonna have him on for his days 50/50 maybe 60%veggies and 40% insects /protein

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm just not sure what to do because of how much they eat ?
Went through 100 dubias from Saturday and also eat crickets and multiple types of worms ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, they eat a lot. Superworms + crickets cost less if you order in bulk, 500 of each from the same company can be as low as $35 bucks shipped and last you a month. What company do you use ?

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We just go to reptile 2 reptile stores, depending on which area we are in. Looking into ordering bulk, but I'm not sure what sites to check? Any recommendations??

Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to start your own dubia roach colony???

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
DragonQueen3":1kovx2e2 said:
We just go to reptile 2 reptile stores, depending on which area we are in. Looking into ordering bulk, but I'm not sure what sites to check? Any recommendations??

Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to start your own dubia roach colony???
They are pretty easier to breed compared other feeders , use carrots and oranges to feed them even your dragons left over veggies I've heard of people using dog food aswell but make sure you take out the spoiled veggies before the get fungus and bacteria when that happens you have to throw away the whole colony happened to me if you feed your dragon it after that it can get parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom