Beardie underwieght?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently been worrying about the weight of my bearded dragon, as I don't have anything to measure its weight and our first vet visit will be on july or august.
He is a two year old male.
He has been getting 10 to 12 crickets everyday, and 5 crickets with 2 superworms every other day.
The veggies I usually serve him are carrots and red bell peppers (currently the only things he eats, and I cant seem to find alfafa in my local supermarket).
He loves to explore and chase for crickets, and he usually likes to bask in his basking spot.
He is hydrated.
Is he underweight? Or is he in normal weight?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you can post photos of him it would be helpful. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

I suggest picking up a kitchen scale when you can. You don't need anything elaborate, just something that measures in grams. That way you can take regular measurements and keep a log to be sure.

At his age I would try to offer as many veges as you can. Dark leafy greens like collards, kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, bok choy are all good options to rotate. Squash is a really popular option with my guy. Bell peppers, chopped green beans, and occasional fruit like a blueberry or raspberry are good too.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would cut out the crickets every day and feed him the vegies mentioned from Cooper Dragon - here is a website for nutrition -- he should get protein 2-3 times a week and I recommend dubias over crickets
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html -- it will tell you what to feed how often to feed and what not to feed - you can get a digital scale from Walmart or a second hand store too - weigh in grams and keep a chart on him - adult bearded dragons they say a good weight is 300 grams
I would start feeding him treat worms like super worms horn worms butter worms -- you can order them on line from here www.dubiaroaches.com also you can order BSFL they are a good staple feeder as well and you can get them here order large and dont dust them www.symptonbsf.com another good feeder is silk worms they can be ordered here www.mulberryfarms.com as of the moment they are out
another place is www.reptilianarts.com they too are out at the moment keep checking
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
NewbieLizard43":7rxb61gx said:
I've recently been worrying about the weight of my bearded dragon, as I don't have anything to measure its weight and our first vet visit will be on july or august.
He is a two year old male.
He has been getting 10 to 12 crickets everyday, and 5 crickets with 2 superworms every other day.
The veggies I usually serve him are carrots and red bell peppers (currently the only things he eats, and I cant seem to find alfafa in my local supermarket).
He loves to explore and chase for crickets, and he usually likes to bask in his basking spot.
He is hydrated.
Is he underweight? Or is he in normal weight?
He needs more variety and you aren't supposed to use bell peppers as a stable and carrots every now and again you need to feed him things like collard greens, turnip greensz mustard greens, endive, escarole, dandelion greens, bok choy, even kale is better than that squash is good . I feed mine bell peppers too but he needs DARK GREENS EVERYDAY and maybe give him a hornworm every now and again add some worms to the diet pheonix worms and superworms are good and waxworks make a good treat I use Dubai's over crickets .

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Also Crickets are annoying they jump and they can even bite your dragon or kill him if theres a bunch of uneaten ones in your tank most likely happen to a juveniles. GRASSHOPPERS ARE SUPERIOR they dont bite they're bigger more nutritious aswell and once again they dont bite dont get confused with bush crickets though these can bite and much harder then a cricket and more likely too aswell and it also looks like a grasshopper you can tell by the head shape

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
CooperDragon":2sawubtg said:
If you can post photos of him it would be helpful. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.
+1 ?

I suggest picking up a kitchen scale when you can. You don't need anything elaborate, just something that measures in grams. That way you can take regular measurements and keep a log to be sure.
"? If you haven't got a kitchen scale, a postal scale will do. If you haven't got a postal scale, God Bless You.?" :lol:

OP mentioned not being able to find alfalfa. Alfalfa is usually considered animal/pet feed, so I'm not surprised. Check the sprouts sections in grocery markets--the sprouts are generally sold as healthful foods (which they are), and growing them into plants for dragon food isn't difficult.

I have a hard time finding greens/veggies my juvie (5+ months) will eat too. He's like "Mikey"--he hates everything! :laughing6:
One thing he will generally eat is cilantro (coriander). I sprinkle a little (chopped up) on other greens/veggies, and that "fools" him into eating other greens. :wink:

I've found it also helps to mix his chopped greens with his num-nums (dubia roaches). Crawling around underneath makes the greens "move" which stimulates his feeding response (if it doesn't move, he won't eat it). He inevitably misses once in a while, and once he's got greens in his mouth, down they go! :D Now he's starting to munch a mouthful even without bugs. Small steps. :wink:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oh my Mr Spectrum you do have a personality -- If you haven't got a kitchen scale, a postal scale will do. If you haven't got a postal scale, God Bless You.?" :lol:
:lol:
He's like "Mikey"--he hates everything! That would be Hiccup in my HH -- :lol:
He is now eating a few bites of his vegies - I have been putting horn worms roaches and butter worms in the glass dish - so w/ the bites hes trying to get to the worms etc hes getting vegies --- sneaky!! :D
My little Blaze hes a good boy and eats his vegies ---
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's not underweight. Keep in mind that many captive dragons are overweight and turn in to couch potatoes like some humans do. :) Being lean is healthier for their joints as they get older and can keep them from getting gout as well as liver, heart and kidney problems. He has a short snout little snout.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) And no, a short snout is just a genetic feature that as far as I know does not adversely affect them in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom