Lazy or problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mflav

Noticed 9 month old isn’t moving around very much. He was always pretty active. If I pick him up and put him somewhere he will stay there(he is able to walk). Just wondering if he’s getting lazy because he’s getting older or if I should be concerned

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
According to at least one source, nine months is still a sub-adult.
Bearded Dragons can be broken down into 4 age groups. Hatchlings is from 0-2 months, Juvenile is from 2 months to 7 months, Sub-Adult is from 7 months to 18 months, and Adult is 18 months on.
However they do slow down a bit with maturity and taming. As long as your husbandry is correct and his biological functions (eating & defecating) are good, there shouldn't be any cause for concern.
How's his feeding response?

Mflav

Original Poster
He still just doesn’t seem right to me. Wherever I put him in his tank it’s like he’s frozen and he stays there. If I take him out of the tank and put him down on the floor he does explore so it’s not that he cannot move. There has been no changes in his tank/food and I’ve had him since July

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
That doesn't surprise me. He knows his enclosure, so there's nothing to explore.

If it's any comfort, mine's the same way. I can't let him free-range--too many places he could get into trouble--but after I've had him out for taming (he still squirms/bolts most of the time) and put him back in, he pretty much sits there until he doesn't. :dontknow:

Do you ever rearrange the enclosure? If so, does it make a difference?

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":18uhusyj said:
That doesn't surprise me. He knows his enclosure, so there's nothing to explore.

If it's any comfort, mine's the same way. I can't let him free-range--too many places he could get into trouble--but after I've had him out for taming (he still squirms/bolts most of the time) and put him back in, he pretty much sits there until he doesn't. :dontknow:

Do you ever rearrange the enclosure? If so, does it make a difference?
Now THAT'S interesting. I dunno why but I was under the impression that BD'S didn't like 'change'. Don't want their stuff moved. Seems that WOULD get awfully boring. Hmmm something to wonder about. ?
-Dee

Mflav

Original Poster
Yes I have heard it stresses them out changing their enclosure as well so I have not

Mflav

Original Poster
Not to be gross but I felt this strange hardness low on the left side of his belly by his back leg. His poops have been kind of on the small side lately so I assumed maybe impaction hence why not moving as much. I gave him a good warm soak and he passed a huge poop. However he is still acting the same and I can still feel that in his belly it kind of feels like his ribs but down a lot lower I can feel it on the other side as well so it might just be his natural anatomy...However I don’t ever remember feeling that on him before. Any suggestions

Mflav

Original Poster
I’m not at home at the moment but it is not his husbandry temps are perfect I have a T5 10.0 hi output UVB like I said everything has been perfect since July this is just been with in the past few days

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Mflav":2v9gvgug said:
Not to be gross but I felt this strange hardness low on the left side of his belly by his back leg. His poops have been kind of on the small side lately so I assumed maybe impaction hence why not moving as much. I gave him a good warm soak and he passed a huge poop. However he is still acting the same and I can still feel that in his belly it kind of feels like his ribs but down a lot lower I can feel it on the other side as well so it might just be his natural anatomy...However I don’t ever remember feeling that on him before. Any suggestions
No problem hon, poop is probably the #1 topic around here. ?
Since this thread is moved to health forum, should get some experienced eyes on it.
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":dtcsx3rb said:
Now THAT'S interesting. I dunno why but I was under the impression that BD'S didn't like 'change'. Don't want their stuff moved. Seems that WOULD get awfully boring. Hmmm something to wonder about. ?
-Dee
Mflav":dtcsx3rb said:
Yes I have heard it stresses them out changing their enclosure as well so I have not
OK, first, it's called "enrichment". Check out the second item on that first list in the link. :wink:
Second, I think you may be thinking of changing their routines/schedules (like lights-on/off, feeding times, etc.) which is different than occasionally changing up their surroundings.
Third, I'm not talking about every day.
Fourth, if they didn't enjoy some change, why would they (like to) explore/free range?

I take care of most enclosure cleaning duties--daily detail, weekly vacuuming, rebuilding the mountain/tower...
DW takes care of the plants--watering, misting, transplanting, etc. I don't expect her to remember every time where each & every plant came from--or goes back to, and ZaRDoZ sure doesn't seem to mind. As I mentioned in another thread, even after moving his "plant god" to the opposite side of the enclosure, he had no trouble locating it and continuing with his daily "worship" routine.

When things do change--shuffling plants or rebuilding his basking mountain/tower--he checks the whole enclosure over, climbing walls, going in & out of new/different "holes", jumping down on top of plants, & climbing over others. He'll climb/crawl from plant(er) to plant(er) like a little kid playing "the floor is lava!" :lol:

There's also the distinct possibility that one day I'll have to remove everything to remove/replace one or more floor tiles to clean under them, then have to put things back together. Doesn't anyone else ever do a thorough enclosure cleaning? There's no way I could put everything back exactly the way it was.

And think about nature--wind, bushfires, storms, flash-floods, tree-falls, earthquakes, dingos, kangaroo stampedes... (kangaroo stampedes :shock: ) We live in a constantly changing world. BDs are hardy little guys. I think they can deal with it; ZaRDoZ seems to enjoy it. :)

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":16h4zyn4 said:
DragonPete":16h4zyn4 said:
-Dee
Mflav":16h4zyn4 said:
OK, first, it's called "enrichment". Check out the second item on that first list in the link. :wink:
Second, I think you may be thinking of changing their routines/schedules (like lights-on/off, feeding times, etc.) which is different than occasionally changing up their surroundings.
Third, I'm not talking about every day.
Fourth, if they didn't enjoy some change, why would they (like to) explore/free range?

I take care of most enclosure cleaning duties--daily detail, weekly vacuuming, rebuilding the mountain/tower...
DW takes care of the plants--watering, misting, transplanting, etc. I don't expect her to remember every time where each & every plant came from--or goes back to, and ZaRDoZ sure doesn't seem to mind. As I mentioned in another thread, even after moving his "plant god" to the opposite side of the enclosure, he had no trouble locating it and continuing with his daily "worship" routine.

When things do change--shuffling plants or rebuilding his basking mountain/tower--he checks the whole enclosure over, climbing walls, going in & out of new/different "holes", jumping down on top of plants, & climbing over others. He'll climb/crawl from plant(er) to plant(er) like a little kid playing "the floor is lava!" :lol:

There's also the distinct possibility that one day I'll have to remove everything to remove/replace one or more floor tiles to clean under them, then have to put things back together. Doesn't anyone else ever do a thorough enclosure cleaning? There's no way I could put everything back exactly the way it was.

And think about nature--wind, bushfires, storms, flash-floods, tree-falls, earthquakes, dingos, kangaroo stampedes... (kangaroo stampedes :shock: ) We live in a constantly changing world. BDs are hardy little guys. I think they can deal with it; ZaRDoZ seems to enjoy it. :)
You absolutely make sense! Adding something new, moving things around occasionally seems like would be enjoyable for him to investigate. Checking out different stuff is why they like to explore. I think the OP must have seen/heard the same stuff I did. Thank you for this!?
-Dee

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
add new plants now and again i do that i dont change around his decor much it does stress them even taking something out they enjoy a relaxed beardie is a happy one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom