More concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after worrying about her diet etc, which hopefully I can now adjust, she just doesn’t seem herself.

For the past 2 days she has had a black beard and has been off her food, leaving locust which is unlike her. Although, I did receive some information from another thread which suggests I’m probably feeding too much locust. I have just tried to hand feed her a locust which she took no interest in, which again is unusual.

She also seems more lazy/sleepy today.

If anyone can please help as I’m getting really worried now.

Alice

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ok so how are you taking the basking temps and what are they? the thermometer stuck to the side of the tank is that the only way your taking them ? the UVB I cant see what it is -- brand and bulb please--- and what is the substrate your using ?
Karrie

Calithedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1nznf5ds said:
ok so how are you taking the basking temps and what are they? the thermometer stuck to the side of the tank is that the only way your taking them ? the UVB I cant see what it is -- brand and bulb please--- and what is the substrate your using ?
Karrie
Thanks for your help.

The thermometer is just a Hygrometer. I have 2 probes, 1 at cool end and 1 at basking. 38.5 at basking and 29 at cool end.

UVB is Arcadia D3+ Reptile Lamp 12% 25W 30in. https://www.reptilecentre.com/arcadia-d3-reptile-lamp-12-30w-36in_p4008279.htm

Substrate is beech chips

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 5 how far away is it from her ? And is it inside the tank or on top of a screen mesh ? The beech chips are like a wood chip ? I would get rid of them - if she ingest any of those she could cut herself internally -- I am trying to rule out lighting as why she is black bearding --- is she doing this all the time or once in awhile --- has she been going crazy digging like she wants to lay eggs ? What about salads are you feeding those besides the locust - she should only have those 2-3 days per week and salads every day
Karrie

Calithedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1t91ci5r said:
The T 5 how far away is it from her ? And is it inside the tank or on top of a screen mesh ? The beech chips are like a wood chip ? I would get rid of them - if she ingest any of those she could cut herself internally -- I am trying to rule out lighting as why she is black bearding --- is she doing this all the time or once in awhile --- has she been going crazy digging like she wants to lay eggs ? What about salads are you feeding those besides the locust - she should only have those 2-3 days per week and salads every day
Karrie
T5 is inside and is around 12 inch from the base.

Her beard has been black constantly since yesterday evening.

She not a few days ago she did make a nest like burrow under her log but maybe just getting cosy, there’s been a little digging around but nothing crazy and not noticed anything in daytime.

Baby leaf salad and butternut squash but she rarely eats greens. Locusts about 5 per day, which I now realise is too much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Distance is good for the UVB -- -- I am wondering if shes gravid--- can you feel in her abdomen that she might have eggs--? Ok so less bugs and more vegies -- did you get the nutrition website ? If not here it is http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I also would change her bugs give her some variety -- are you in the states? If so I can post some websites you can order from -- but I am still wondering why the black beard-- does she have it today?
Karrie

Calithedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2pj4gmsm said:
Distance is good for the UVB -- -- I am wondering if shes gravid--- can you feel in her abdomen that she might have eggs--? Ok so less bugs and more vegies -- did you get the nutrition website ? If not here it is http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I also would change her bugs give her some variety -- are you in the states? If so I can post some websites you can order from -- but I am still wondering why the black beard-- does she have it today?
Karrie
Ok so just felt her belly which is looking a lot larger than normal. She is very agitated when I feel it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok so shes either got eggs going in there or something else is going on -- I would get her into a dig box / lay box LAYBOX
potting soil that doesn't have any type of
chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that
the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to
have standing water.
Put her basking light over the top of it and a hide of some sort -- shoe box etc --- leave her be for awhile and see what she does -- make sure you watch to see if she has any yellow discharge that could be an egg that has ruptured which would not be good -
Karrie

Calithedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3b75yawr said:
ok so shes either got eggs going in there or something else is going on -- I would get her into a dig box / lay box LAYBOX
potting soil that doesn't have any type of
chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that
the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to
have standing water.
Put her basking light over the top of it and a hide of some sort -- shoe box etc --- leave her be for awhile and see what she does -- make sure you watch to see if she has any yellow discharge that could be an egg that has ruptured which would not be good -
Karrie
Thank you.

Do I need to leave her in the lay box for some time? Not sure how I’m going to set it with the basking light.

Is the something I’d be about to pick up in the pet shop , reptile store (I’m in the UK)?

My dad will help but he’s not home at the moment.

Is it possible she will have the eggs(if that what it’s is) in her vivarium? I will try to get the laybox sorted but just want to make sure she’s ok for now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She can lay them in her viv but I would move her to a plastic tote - like a 10 gallon if you have one- get some potting soil at your local home improvement store w/ some sand mix it pour into that tote make the consistency so its not too wet but enough to hold like a sand castle - do you have a clamp for the basking light you can use that and clamp to the side of the tote so its over her -- leave her in there for a couple of hours or so -- so shes quiet -- find a shoe box or something she can go into and dig to lay the eggs----
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom