Not using bask light lead to growth stunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok so i looked up the t8 and thats actually the exact one we are using. What do ypu think of the bulb reptisuns thats what we use for red we never would go and get one of those bulbs it was my friend who got me the bulb after i adopted his sisters dragon, who is red

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They are the best on the market but you need to get it into the tank - he is not getting enough UVB--- the screen is blocking 30% of those rays --- 8-10 inches from basking spot w/ NO cover over the bulb -- needs to be exposed
Karrie
how old is the bulb? If it's 6 months it needs to be changed

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The bulb itself is exposed the mest iant like screen door it doesnt buffer how light enters the cage im kust worried why he doesnt bask at all

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So you have a wide holed screen --- w/ a T 8 the bulbs are not as strong -he needs that UVB to grow and prevent MBD---so that UVB needs to be 8-10 inches from basking decor --- I would get the bulb inside the tank --- the basking temps and the UVB are the 2 most important things in that tank for the over all health of your dragon------------ you can hang the UVB w/ long plastic zip ties -- fishing line-- 3M velcro fasteners -- shoe laces -- etc -- is your dragon eating? what are you feeding him? what does his poop look like ? is it runny? does it have a smell so bad it make you leave the room? You need to get the basking temps back up to 105-110--- no hotter --- its nice to have a piece of decor in the tank that offers a gradient heat for them to bask --- so if they haft to sit in one spot - Petsmart sells some really nice decor for that - and they are easy to wash as well
Karrie

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
107025-1277906783.jpg
that is the cage the bask spot is 109 i think it might be that he is not basking so he is not digesting food properly and then not absorbing the nutrients. he always has stress spots he eats crickets and mealworms and soildier fly larvae and dubias and kale and dandelions he also loves blueberrys, rasberrys bokchoy and black berrys

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you show us a picture of where you place the probe on the basking surface and a picture of the thermometer reading?

I would probably take out that large piece of wood to be honest with you. At least for right now.

How do his poo's look?

So how much exactly would you say he eats per day?

-Brandon

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
im away from home for now so i cant get you that picture now but it looks solid it smells bad as all lizard dung but not like enough to blow you out of the room. its solid black and white and looks like my leopard geckos dung

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
so a few days later i redused his bask spot to a single concreate brick and took everything out of his cage making him more motivated to bask he started going through a shed the other day so i think its working

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Have you moved the UVB so hes getting rays now? With proper basking temps and good UVB rays he should start growing and gaining weight
Karrie

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The light we cant move at the moment but the wire top is wide enough where the rays can get through also not for beardies but do plant grow lights generate any uvb rays this question is for my toads who dont need much uvb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you take the screen off ? What do you mean "also not for beardies?" I dont know a thing about grow lights -- alls I know w/ out the UVB your dragon is going to get sick ---
Karrie

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The not for beardies part is my american toads they live in a heavaly planted bioactive tank they dont need it but it wont hurt the

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the T 8 needs to be 6-8 inches from basking then and even that close it may not be enough--- that distance I gave you is for a T 5- I suggest you got get a T 5 bulb - what size is your fixture? If you don't get the UVB straightened out your going to have a very sick dragon-----
Karrie

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just added a brick for a uvb brick its its like 7.5 inches away from the light. we still have top opening encloures wich we will soon get side opening cage to make it so the lights can be next each other instead of side by side we will definitly use all the lighting advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom