Trusted Dubia Company??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
HippieLizards":1j5mtzez said:
I generally get 1.5k 1000 adult size dubias and 500 mediums or smalls for my younger dragons and my geckos.
Dude, you have a serious roach problem! :lol:
With that many mouths to feed, I'm surprised you're not breeding your own.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Never had that much luck with breeding them, but at this point I'm starting to consider redoing a colony again.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I ran the numbers a while back, and it didn't make sense (for me) with just the one zard, but a second (panther chameleon) is in the offing, so I'll have to run the numbers again, accounting for the BD cutting down as he matures, and the chameleon increasing as he grows. :dontknow:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
HippieLizards":3md5ahfr said:
Never had that much luck with breeding them, but at this point I'm starting to consider redoing a colony again.
You should pick Brandon's brain, he feeds several and grows feeders too. I can't imagine having to buy feeders for more than 1 or 2 or even a baby for that matter. Lord knows they eat a ton of protein their first year.?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":2mtl7wmh said:
You should pick Brandon's brain,
Nah, he needs what little he has. :p

I'm one of those that learns better by both hearing/reading and seeing, which is one reason I watch & reference a lot of vids. YT is stinking with vids on raising all kinds of feeders--different setups & methods. Just sayin'... :roll:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":3kw9rkgv said:
DragonPete":3kw9rkgv said:
You should pick Brandon's brain,
Nah, he needs what little he has. :p

I'm one of those that learns better by both hearing/reading and seeing, which is one reason I watch & reference a lot of vids. YT is stinking with vids on raising all kinds of feeders--different setups & methods. Just sayin'... :roll:
You crack me up! ? I avoid YT most times, I get addicted! I start watching and next thing you know it's 4-5 hours later! ?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":2oupo7k8 said:
I avoid YT most times, I get addicted! I start watching and next thing you know it's 4-5 hours later! ?
-Dee
Maybe I use it differently? :dontknow:
For research, I start out with a general topic search. If the topic is something I need a vid to learn more about, I might click on the Videos tab, and check out selections on the first page or two. One advantage (I've found) of age & experience is that I can filter things out easier (less susceptible to distracting BS). If the vid doesn't get right to the point within the first 15-30 seconds, it's almost invariably not worth wasting any more time on. I can usually pick up quickly on who is/isn't worth watching/listening to. I find setting a timer/time limit helps too. :wink:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
MrSpectrum":10jovyai said:
I ran the numbers a while back, and it didn't make sense (for me) with just the one zard, but a second (panther chameleon) is in the offing, so I'll have to run the numbers again, accounting for the BD cutting down as he matures, and the chameleon increasing as he grows. :dontknow:
Yeah, It's just that I got a lot of mouths to feed and I want my food to last longer than a week for my 5 dragons one of which is still a youngster. That and my geckos, They also eat tiny dubias. So with 7 insect eating reptiles you're going to need to order in bulk.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
HippieLizards, with as many mouths to feed as you've got, I'd definitely be farming my own dubias (and probably mealies and/or supes too), but you know your situation best.

A while back I got/had the idea of a "feeder co-op"; a bunch of reptile keepers (who can stand each other :roll: ) raising feeders & sharing the workload like other co-ops. Costs would be apportioned. The feeders wouldn't be free, but should be far less than from a commercial vendor.

Yeah, I've belonged to co-ops before, so I'm aware of the pitfalls. :wink: Finding the right group of folks is paramount (and nigh impossible). Might work for a local reptile club. :dontknow:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Yeah. I Need to talk with some good bug breeders to know how they breed their dubias, not so much supers as 1000 lasts us the time between each repticon give or take a week. But I definitely need to try and breed my own roaches again. It's just that anytime I try and breed dubias, I rarely get that many babies and the breeders all die off quickly. I Don't have much luck with bugs.
:?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom