A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":22240hbe said:
Jesus where did the babies go!

Wilbur looks like an absolute tank! Candycane is looking great too.
PS. Have I told you how much I love both of those names lol.

opaquelace":22240hbe said:
Also feel free to move this to the "introductions" category as I'll probably always post updates in this thread!
If you don't mind, I'll move it to the Beardie Tales section. Thats where most of us keep our "journals" of our dragons. Introductions is more so for new members to introduce themselves and for new dragons to be introduced. :)

-Brandon
Yes that’s perfect! Move it there.

And they eat so much I’d be concerned if they weren’t growing fast lol. I can’t wait to see how bright they are after this shed.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
85184439_10104377582207440_5984402882428928000_n.jpg

86187549_10104377582247360_6585724584773812224_n.jpg

CandyCane discovered her bed today and stayed there a good long while. I also noticed when they were on the floor that they're about 12-14 inches long based on the size of the 12"x12" tiles that are on the floor of the enclosure. They hatched November 3rd iirc, which makes them about 3.5 months old. Isn't 12-14 inches rather large for a 3.5 month old?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not out of the realm of possibilities. High protein diets really make them grow quick. Suki and Mei were both around 14 inches when I got them from the breeder, and they were around 2-2 1/2 months old.

That picture sure is cute though! Love that she apparently loves her bed lol.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3l4xjzo9 said:
It's not out of the realm of possibilities. High protein diets really make them grow quick. Suki and Mei were both around 14 inches when I got them from the breeder, and they were around 2-2 1/2 months old.

That picture sure is cute though! Love that she apparently loves her bed lol.

-Brandon

Yea they eat a lot of bugs and larva right now. I had to order MORE food, which makes order number 4 in 4 weeks. They eat their greens too, and I'm trying to introduce more veggies than just the mustard greens I've been keeping on hand.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great that they are eating their greens! Definitely try to get some variety in their. Variety is the biggest thing I "preach" around here :)

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2we15qnb said:
That's great that they are eating their greens! Definitely try to get some variety in their. Variety is the biggest thing I "preach" around here :)

-Brandon
They didn't seem too interested in a scrap or two of honeydew melon which surprised me, but I'll be trying to mix it up more with fruit every few days. Question, is it ok to offer thawed fruit from the freezer? I buy blueberries and cherries frozen because I find they taste better and they don't go bad and my daughter loves them that way. I've got a spaghetti squash which I saw on that handy chart Karrie posts is a good staple food, but I just cut it and serve it raw? I'm so used to squash being cooked it seems strange to offer it raw even though I know they wouldn't cook it in the wild haha. I've gotten into a routine with them. While my kids are eating breakfast before school I fix the beardies their breakfast salads and fill their buggy bowls. A few wiggly things go on the salad to entice them, I spritz their salads with a bit of water, lock the cages back up and finish getting the kids ready for school. Poop cleanup time is somewhere around lunch, with a try at handfeeding something if I'm home.

Wilbur still wants nothing to do with anything from my hands. He will sometimes accept something from tongs, but not always. I can put some wiggly worms on the ground by my hands and he'll come get them without hesitation but nothing from my fingers. Shedding also made him cranky this time. He hissed a lot any time I tried to pet him. CandyCane really just wants food however you offer it to her lol. Doesn't seem to mind being handled. Still seems scared, but really we're huge to her so I don't blame her. She came out of her cage for about 10 minutes today and we had a blanket set up across my lap and my two kids laps. She would alternate between us lol. I taught the kids the under the belly pickup motion and they handled it like bosses haha.

85183718_10104377932764920_4792756685665992704_n.jpg

CandyCane half in her bowl, half out lol.
86266796_10104377932739970_1305863030864609280_n.jpg

Wilbur after his shed. So bright! But his pattern is starting to disappear like they do as they get older. The sides of his belly are bright orange!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes frozen is fine as long as it is properly thawed :)
I've never really had much success with melon either. However, Tombo did eat some watermelon once and he seemed to like it. But he tends to like red colors anyways.

Wilbur is on fire!

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Hi! Thought I would throw in my .02. I don't cook anything for my boy but I understand that you can. Personally, anything that is hard, like carrot, sweet potato, butternut squash, etc, I just rub a piece across a grater and put a few sheds on the salad.
Love Candycane in her bowl. ?
-Dee

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1z7vrwy9 said:
Yes frozen is fine as long as it is properly thawed :)
I've never really had much success with melon either. However, Tombo did eat some watermelon once and he seemed to like it. But he tends to like red colors anyways.

Wilbur is on fire!

-Brandon
Another picture of Wilbur I took this morning. Shows off his color/pattern better. I hope he keeps his leg/tail stripes.
86268082_10104379404715120_208810937585500160_n.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wilbur looks amazing.

And how can you not love the pictures of candy cane. Looks like she has a lot of personality lol.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2bd3cc3q said:
Wilbur looks amazing.

And how can you not love the pictures of candy cane. Looks like she has a lot of personality lol.

-Brandon

Wilbur is beautiful, even if he is ornery lol. And CandyCane definitely has personality. I put her food bowl in the cage every morning around 8 and around 830 salad is flung on one half the enclosure. Idk what she does but it goes everywhere. She’s always watching us too lol. Wilbur is like an old man who wants his food where it always is and goes to bed early. Seriously he gets in his sleep spot 30-45 minutes before lights out every day.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Haha that is too funny. I'm glad you got 2, it's awesome to see their own personalities and how different they can be from each other.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1ct3qp07 said:
Haha that is too funny. I'm glad you got 2, it's awesome to see their own personalities and how different they can be from each other.

-Brandon
Poor Wilbur no longer fits on top of the cork. He still climbs up and rests his head up there with his body hanging down. I think he needs a bigger hide to sleep in.

Also CandyCane spent all evening lounging in her bed after a big meal of roaches, but when lights went out she pushed it out of the way and slept on the tile floor. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom