Canned Dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Never have I. They seem to be marketed more for an emergency situation to get you through a couple days. It even says on the site selling them that you shouldn't rely on them as anything more than a treat.
I do have experience with canned crickets and I can tell you if these dubia are anything like the crickets... they are putrid lol.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
It wouldn't even occur to me. I know from experience that if it doesn't move, he won't eat it...period.
For the time being, this includes his salad; if there aren't bugs under it causing it to move... nothing.

Sometimes it seems like the dubias are catching on that if they play dead, they won't get eaten. :lol:

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Reptilelady":3i8ze3cw said:
Hello everyone,
Has anyone tried this yet? Of course the live feeders are way better but out of curiosity if anyone has given this to their beardies? https://dubiaroaches.com/products/canned-dubia-roaches-freshly-preserved?variant=31753477652565
I've tried flukers canned grasshoppers he loves them I wanted to try the roaches if you give your beardie as much variety in greens and live insects they should be good treat nice and moist mine will even eat freeze dried meal worms and crickets I've fed him snails etc very good eater all beardies are gotta have variety is the key and he will always be Intrested in his meals whether they move or not try tong feed when they see the tongs it triggers a feeding response after a while but dont pamper them too much or even look into a vivicator it's a vibrating food dish pretty neat but my beardie doesn't like his but he isnt a picky eater in the slightest just got it because I spoil my beardie lmao. The canned foods aren't dried like freeze dried they're nice and moist and have same nutrition as live that doesn't mean u should ever replace live but after you open the can make sure u refrigerate it it it wont last long , canned grasshoppers are great sometimes u get a Bush cricket in them I've heard the roaches was good and even canned deshelled snails

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
MrSpectrum":3zp38yho said:
It wouldn't even occur to me. I know from experience that if it doesn't move, he won't eat it...period.
For the time being, this includes his salad; if there aren't bugs under it causing it to move... nothing.

Sometimes it seems like the dubias are catching on that if they play dead, they won't get eaten. :lol:
Weird have you ever gave your beardie live plants? My beardie will choose greens over live insects alot and he is a younging I give him a variety of greens bok choy endive escarole collard turnip mustard greens dandelion bok choy and more and he gets at the live plants well too but doesn't destroy then

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Wickedpogana":250jlyhm said:
Weird have you ever gave your beardie live plants?
There are over 20 in his enclosure. He's tasted them all, there are tiny teeth marks on some, but he's never eaten any (including 6 basil plants). He does like to climb & jump on top of them, which has broken off parts, but he's never torn any out.

I'd have no problem if he did eat them. We expected he might/would, so have several backups of each in case he does.

Finding greens & veggies he'll eat (let alone like) has been a challenge since the day we brought him home. Tried every veggie, green, & herb we could find, and tried every trick in the book (as well as making up a few).

Fortunately, I have some experience "out-stubborning" pets. :lol:
He gets salad with his "steak" every meal, whether he likes/eats it or not (and he's eating some.)
We'll get there, but not at the expense of stunting his growth or malnourishment. :wink:

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
MrSpectrum":1qohro7b said:
Wickedpogana":1qohro7b said:
Weird have you ever gave your beardie live plants?
There are over 20 in his enclosure. He's tasted them all, there are tiny teeth marks on some, but he's never eaten any (including 6 basil plants). He does like to climb & jump on top of them, which has broken off parts, but he's never torn any out.

I'd have no problem if he did eat them. We expected he might/would, so have several backups of each in case he does.

Finding greens & veggies he'll eat (let alone like) has been a challenge since the day we brought him home. Tried every veggie, green, & herb we could find, and tried every trick in the book (as well as making up a few).

Fortunately, I have some experience "out-stubborning" pets. :lol:
He gets salad with his "steak" every meal, whether he likes/eats it or not (and he's eating some.)
We'll get there, but not at the expense of stunting his growth or malnourishment. :wink:
sounds like i have a lucky that my dragon seems to eat anything i offer him he trusts thats its delicious lol mine doesnt rip up the plants but he does occasionally eat them but i wouldnt care if he did destroy them because they are very cheap . try dandelioon greens if he doesnt scarf it dont like a dinosaur i have no clue but mine was stubborn as a hatchling with his greens so i gave him baby food i just smeared it on his lips and he would lick it off but he never refuses greens no sometimes stick his nose up to the bugs then i know he wants the veggies lol , i have two warneckii plants and a parsley plant and mint as its the one only one with a scent so my beardie can have that pleasure aswell haha

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Wickedpogana":3vidbqrn said:
i have two warneckii plants
I hadn't heard of that one before (at least not by that name) but except for the basil, everything's succulents. The Warneckii seems to check out OK for reptiles, so... COOL! 8) After reading up a bit more (and discussing with the "plant mistress" :roll: ) I may add one or two. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom