Accidentally ordered the Reptisun t5 5.0 instead of the 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyLuv

How badly have I messed up?

My lil guy Gratch is a youngin, only 8.5 inches, in a 50 gallon glass terrarium with a steel mesh hinged lid. Not fine mesh.

My UVB arrangement is a 24" sunblaster lamp with reflectors, hung centered inside from the mesh lid, about 8" from the top of his basking spot. Seems to fully cover the whole tank, besides inside his hideaways.

From what my research divined, I figure the 5.0 is better than the 65k plant bulb that came with the fixture, but still not good enough for a desert critter. The 10.0 is needed. But how soon? Can it wait for a new one to ship, or should I scour local shops tomorrow?

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
LadyLuv":3f37xgap said:
How badly have I messed up?

My lil guy Gratch is a youngin, only 8.5 inches, in a 50 gallon glass terrarium with a steel mesh hinged lid. Not fine mesh.

My UVB arrangement is a 24" sunblaster lamp with reflectors, hung centered inside from the mesh lid, about 8" from the top of his basking spot. Seems to fully cover the whole tank, besides inside his hideaways.

From what my research divined, I figure the 5.0 is better than the 65k plant bulb that came with the fixture, but still not good enough for a desert critter. The 10.0 is needed. But how soon? Can it wait for a new one to ship, or should I scour local shops tomorrow?
The t8s are meant to be inside the enclosure and the t5 is meant to be ontop of a mesh screen because their stronger so If you have a t5 5.0 and its mounted in the tank and not on screen you should be just fine as 10.0 t5 would be too much if not covered by a screen

LadyLuv

Original Poster
[/quote]
The t8s are meant to be inside the enclosure and the t5 is meant to be ontop of a mesh screen because their stronger so If you have a t5 5.0 and its mounted in the tank and not on screen you should be just fine as 10.0 t5 would be too much if not covered by a screen[/quote]

Oh. Okay. So I accidentally messed up messing up?
Good. haha thank you

LadyLuv

Original Poster
[/quote]
The t8s are meant to be inside the enclosure and the t5 is meant to be ontop of a mesh screen because their stronger so If you have a t5 5.0 and its mounted in the tank and not on screen you should be just fine as 10.0 t5 would be too much if not covered by a screen[/quote]

I dunno if you're correct... I just found another post on here with people saying it still isn't good enough hung inside. It's made for tropical not desert animals so not enough UV and it might hinder growth?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You have the t5 bulb. The t5 is the HO bulb. The t5 comes in the 5.0 and the 10.0 just like the t8 does.

The 5.0 t5 is about the strength equivalent of the t8 10.0. So, you will want the t5 5.0 to be about 8 inches from the basking site unobstructed. If you can make that work you can continue to use the bulb. Then you can switch to the 10.0 and move it back up higher when it's time to change.
Or, if you like its positioning, you can continue to use the 5.0.

-Brandon

LadyLuv

Original Poster
claudiusx":27hnu9pk said:
You have the t5 bulb. The t5 is the HO bulb. The t5 comes in the 5.0 and the 10.0 just like the t8 does.

The 5.0 t5 is about the strength equivalent of the t8 10.0. So, you will want the t5 5.0 to be about 8 inches from the basking site unobstructed. If you can make that work you can continue to use the bulb. Then you can switch to the 10.0 and move it back up higher when it's time to change.

-Brandon

Okay. This is good info. Where it is now, it's about 7 inches away from the highest point of the basking area. Is that too close? And thank you btw

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
claudiusx":1f86egee said:

-Brandon
exactly what i was trying to say couldnt of said it better myself good **** lol

LadyLuv

Original Poster
[/quote]
exactly what i was trying to say couldnt of said it better myself good ***** lol[/quote]

Thank you as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom