Is this diet good for a beardie?

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Is this diet good for a beardie?

Postby rhaegaldrogo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:05 am

Hi there :). I just want to check what veggies I'm feeding my 4 month old beardie is good

His staples would probably be lambs lettuce, raddico (sorry can't spell it 😅), escarole, endive, carrots, frisée, bok choi, red chard, and watercress. I usually throw in some coriander and celery too

Every few weeks I'll get him white cabbage, beetroot, bean sprouts, bell peppers, and red cabbage

He'll sometimes get small portions of sweet chili peppers, apples, grapes, and mango. Sorry this is so long 😂. But does everything there seem ok? I can't give him collard or mustard greens so I try to vary it up, hope everything there is ok?
rhaegaldrogo
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:38 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Is this diet good for a beardie?

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:11 am

4 months old , diet needs to be mostly live high quality insects .

Offer some greens and salad but make sure the hatchling gets his required protein , fats and calcium .
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: Is this diet good for a beardie?

Postby rhaegaldrogo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:28 am

kingofnobbys wrote:4 months old , diet needs to be mostly live high quality insects .

Offer some greens and salad but make sure the hatchling gets his required protein , fats and calcium .


Oh yeah he gets insects twice a day; crickets, calcium worms or dubia roaches :)
rhaegaldrogo
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:38 am

Re: Is this diet good for a beardie?

Postby jimmykohn » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:47 pm

I believe the recommended beardie diet proportions are 2/3 of food ration to be live insects as they help babies to grow and the rest 1/3 can be plants food.
User avatar
jimmykohn
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:11 pm

Re: Is this diet good for a beardie?

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:16 pm

jimmykohn wrote:I believe the recommended beardie diet proportions are 2/3 of food ration to be live insects as they help babies to grow and the rest 1/3 can be plants food.


If a hatchling eats any salad it's a bonus , and not something you need obsess about , since the crickets / roaches / hoppers will be gutloaded with fresh salad anyway.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11518
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Is this diet good for a beardie?

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:18 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:
jimmykohn wrote:I believe the recommended beardie diet proportions are 2/3 of food ration to be live insects as they help babies to grow and the rest 1/3 can be plants food.


If a hatchling eats any salad it's a bonus , and not something you need obsess about , since the crickets / roaches / hoppers will be gutloaded with fresh salad anyway.

Agree to disagree. The nutrients provided by salads are essential and getting a baby to eat salad is a must IMO. A cricket eating some salad and then being eaten by a dragon will not be as nutritious as a dragon eating a cricket and then that same salad itself.

Protein and fat's aren't the only thing required for a body to grow. Micronutrients are equally just as important.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 18016
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Is this diet good for a beardie?

Postby rhaegaldrogo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:31 am

Thanks for the replies :). Yes his veggies are only about 30% or so of his diet. Is the selection of veggies I'm feeding him ok/will suit him as an adult do yous think?
rhaegaldrogo
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:38 am

Re: Is this diet good for a beardie?

Postby Wickedpogana » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:10 am

claudiusx wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:
jimmykohn wrote:I believe the recommended beardie diet proportions are 2/3 of food ration to be live insects as they help babies to grow and the rest 1/3 can be plants food.


If a hatchling eats any salad it's a bonus , and not something you need obsess about , since the crickets / roaches / hoppers will be gutloaded with fresh salad anyway.

Agree to disagree. The nutrients provided by salads are essential and getting a baby to eat salad is a must IMO. A cricket eating some salad and then being eaten by a dragon will not be as nutritious as a dragon eating a cricket and then that same salad itself.

Protein and fat's aren't the only thing required for a body to grow. Micronutrients are equally just as important.

-Brandon

I agree salads for a juvenile or hatchling is a must you must introduce him to his main diet as possible as can. When your adult dragon sticks his nose up to veggies you'll know why it was essential. Hell I feed my juvenile 60% veggies and 40% insects and he is growing super fast I guess it comes down to variety and husbandry in my opinion
Image
User avatar
Wickedpogana
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:00 am
Location: Cleveland OHIO If you got no Heat Your Dragon wont eat!

Re: Is this diet good for a beardie?

Postby DorgEndo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:34 am

Those sounds like great vegetable choices. The more variety the better, so your plan of those variable vegetables every few weeks makes sense. It can be tricky to offer a wide variety since stores sell human sized portions. One critique would be adding butternut squash to the staple section, you could move carrots to the every few weeks section. Butternut squash has the proven health/nutritional benefits, and the more I read from people who use it there may be additional positive effects like the squash cleaning out food from getting stuck in the teeth. It is great your guy eats so many vegetables already
Devlyn my beautiful bearded dragon, approx hatch 8/18, mine since 2/19. Kitty Greysie born 3/06. Lttle rescue Charlie the American grey tree frog, found 11/18. Lots of house plants, I like cacti and succulents.
User avatar
DorgEndo
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:51 am
Location: MN, USA

Re: Is this diet good for a beardie?

Postby rhaegaldrogo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:43 pm

DorgEndo wrote:Those sounds like great vegetable choices. The more variety the better, so your plan of those variable vegetables every few weeks makes sense. It can be tricky to offer a wide variety since stores sell human sized portions. One critique would be adding butternut squash to the staple section, you could move carrots to the every few weeks section. Butternut squash has the proven health/nutritional benefits, and the more I read from people who use it there may be additional positive effects like the squash cleaning out food from getting stuck in the teeth. It is great your guy eats so many vegetables already



Oh ok thank you! Yeah I was feeding him butternut squash, but I think they're only available here when they're in season :/. I think I'm lucky with him.in that regard - he used to be a little fussy but now he just eats Pretty much everything 😂
rhaegaldrogo
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:38 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Feeding

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot]