Lavender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What do you mean by a warmie? Like a heat pack or rice bag etc? I don't believe lavender is harmful to dragons so that should be OK.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
CooperDragon":1m1nz32e said:
What do you mean by a warmie? Like a heat pack or rice bag etc? I don't believe lavender is harmful to dragons so that should be OK.
Seems like it would depend on how hot it is. I used to have one for my shoulders that you heated in microwave. Isn't there something about them not being able to feel the heat on their bellies? So we don't use heat pads etc? I may be wrong, being a noob and all. ? But would love your opinion on it, seems like that would be nice when brumating, being able just to warm them a little. What do you think?
-Dee

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think it comes down to how hot it gets and how it is used really. Warming up a rice bag to around our body temp might be comfortable to them for a little while. They don't always need to be warm though. I think the concern with heating their bellies has more to do with malfunction on a heat pad or heat rock causing burns. I've heard (and probably repeated) about them not sensing heat on their bellies but I don't know if that is true. They are designed to regulate heat and light coming from overhead, but I don't know that it means they can't sense heat in other places. During brumation they're probably best left alone. I provide them space to burrow and hide but they do well at room temp or in the cool zone temp of their habitat.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
CooperDragon":20dqucrn said:
I think it comes down to how hot it gets and how it is used really. Warming up a rice bag to around our body temp might be comfortable to them for a little while. They don't always need to be warm though. I think the concern with heating their bellies has more to do with malfunction on a heat pad or heat rock causing burns. I've heard (and probably repeated) about them not sensing heat on their bellies but I don't know if that is true. They are designed to regulate heat and light coming from overhead, but I don't know that it means they can't sense heat in other places. During brumation they're probably best left alone. I provide them space to burrow and hide but they do well at room temp or in the cool zone temp of their habitat.

Makes sense! Thank you. When Petey crawls under his newspaper to 'nap', I've been removing it and putting his blanket on him. Not necessary I'm sure but makes ME Feel better. Lol! ? Since his napping takes place under his hammock/basking spot, I know he stays toasty during the day and still acceptable night temp. His longest nap to date is 8 days! ?
-Dee

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
DragonPete":21kdxhrs said:
CooperDragon":21kdxhrs said:
Seems like it would depend on how hot it is. I used to have one for my shoulders that you heated in microwave. Isn't there something about them not being able to feel the heat on their bellies? So we don't use heat pads etc? I may be wrong, being a noob and all. ? But would love your opinion on it, seems like that would be nice when brumating, being able just to warm them a little. What do you think?
-Dee
They sense heat from above so they are prone to burn their bellies yes they will stay in a hot surface but uplift their "hands" and "feet" up off the rock or whatever it's on but I've heard of beardies staying on a heat rock and getting burns I'd personally stay away from heatpacks their nails can possibly rupture it especially if isnt trimmed and beardies actually do good with a cold sleep if it doesn't go under 60 if you need night heat use a ceramic heater bulb or even wrap him in a used shirt or a beanie and take it out in the morning I've heard if people just sleeping with their beardies outside of the tank cause they sleep anywhere and in that case just give your dragon heat from ur body they get heat and bond with you even better hope it helps goodluck other wise guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom