Half bioactive half tile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I have never used that type of substrate but I know some here have. I am moving your
thread to the enclosure area, for more exposure.

Tracie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Wickedpogana":22jofwt9 said:
Has anyone done a enclosure that's half bioactive and half slate or ceramic tile ??
It's been discussed, but I can't cite any threads off the top of my head.

I looked into bioactive before I got my dragon, because initially, it sounded like a cool idea, and seemed to make sense. But the further I dug, the more apparent it became that the cons outweighed the pros--mainly because BDs are arid climate reptiles, and bioactive is more suited for tropical/temperate climate reptiles.

That said, I still wanted some live plants in the enclosure, so I came up with an alternative. I have a slate ceramic tile floor (for quick easy cleanup) and succulents in planters that compliment the (I can't believe I'm saying this) "motif" of the enclosure. :lol: I got a lot of good advice that live plants are a risk because BDs like to destroy them. I found this to be true, but I have lots of extras, so if/when one gets stomped on, munched on, or ripped out (as they are wont to do) it can be easily/readily replaced.

Another issue that was mentioned was humidity control. I solved this by using only succulents (one exception below). I also covered the soil in the planters with river pebbles to hold in the moisture. This all worked really well--in fact too well. With 15+ live plants, I still couldn't get the daytime humidity above 25% (I was aiming for 30%-40%). I tried all kinds of "tricks" to no avail. I finally added a "forest" of 6 basil plants (the only non-succulents). That did the trick; there are now over 20 plants and daytime humidity has stayed between 30%-40% ever since (nighttime ˂ 55%).

Here it is today (though still a work in progress). I occasionally rearrange the plants, and I'll be covering the basil forest tray with leftover slate tiles from the backsplash.
105703-709706066.jpg

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah my setup is currently half bioactive and half tile and yes plants dont raise humidity it's a myth mines been lower since they take humidity out of the air and where else it can find it they also release great fresh air and provide fresh food at all times I my leafs that fall off are good for the bioactive substrate and the beardie is the natural plant trimmer lol and for the arid climate you can have a bioactive setup and keep in in control of the humidity its pretty arid nonetheless he hasn't really destroyed his plants but he eats them maybe your does because it's in the planter pot.i think the two substrate route is the best I have parsley, mint and two warneckii in my bioactive side , for clean up crew orange powder isopods and some nightcrawlers a few darkling beetles also substrate I have holds the moisture pretty good in the middle idk what you use but my humidity is 30-40% with four plants in his enclosure I also have a sock with rice in it on his tile side I keep his plants on his cool side with the substrate and tile where he basks I even have a water fall on his cool side they dont recognize standing water and my beardie loves his waterfall I guess its how much experience you have you have to take the good and the bad in and decide my humidity doesn't go over 40% expect in shed I'll raise it to 45 % by taking the sock out

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
107375-3391294540.jpg
Theirs my enclosure it's a Custom Carolina Cage 75 gallon
107375-6944724936.jpg
And theirs the bread winner of the clutch
I made the stairs out of styrofoam and grout same with the hide

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your tank looks really nice. I like what you did with decorating it.

I don't see anything to improve upon besides just making sure you are providing proper UV. Do you have a t8 or a t5 bulb? The T5's are better suited to being mounted over the screen like how you have yours.

-Brandon

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It's a t8 Where he sits at on the grout made stairs is 12 inches from usb bulb and hammock rises close and the drift wood goes close aswell and hes either hammock or drift wood alot of the time his waterfall is 4 inches from uvb light which he likes to be there too not often but it's a high spot in the tank do you think I need to replace with a t4 asap I plan on giving him natural light when the tempature are appropriate

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3nvhhfqu said:

I don't see anything to improve upon besides just making sure you are providing proper UV. Do you have a t8 or a t5 bulb? The T5's are better suited to being mounted over the screen like how you have yours.

-Brandon
Just looks it's a t8 thank u for the heads up will change dammit lol

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you turn off the bulb you can look at it and near the ends should be some markings telling you what it is. Or if you still have the box it came in.

The t8 reptisun ideally should be about 8 inches from the basking surface unobstructed. So if it's on the mesh it really should be more like 6 inches away. That's why typically t8's get mounted inside the tank to be at the proper distance.

The t5 is much stronger, it needs to be 12-15 inches away unobstructed. If it's on the mesh though, it needs to be around 8. (mesh obviously cuts down on some of the UV )

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wickedpogana":2dkrzxpe said:
claudiusx":2dkrzxpe said:

-Brandon
Just looks it's a t8 thank u for the heads up will change dammit lol
The t8 is still a good bulb, it just needs to be a bit closer than the t5 to achieve the same desired UV levels.

What distance is bulb to basking site right now? Either way, I gave you the distances up above, so you can decide which way is best for you :)

-Brandon

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":29e2f3ad said:
If you turn off the bulb you can look at it and near the ends should be some markings telling you what it is. Or if you still have the box it came in.

The t8 reptisun ideally should be about 8 inches from the basking surface unobstructed. So if it's on the mesh it really should be more like 6 inches away. That's why typically t8's get mounted inside the tank to be at the proper distance.

The t5 is much stronger, it needs to be 12-15 inches away unobstructed. If it's on the mesh though, it needs to be around 8. (mesh obviously cuts down on some of the UV )

-Brandon

Mine sits he sits about 12 inches on his stairs and higher on the drift wood very close to mesh not dangerously close and high on the hammock and the waterfall is 4 inches close so I have ups and down do you think I should replace it now ? Bulb is not even used for 2months and my tank is 48x18x18 mot 48x18x24 my bad

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Which spot does he typically bask at? The 12 inch distance or the 4 inch distance?

If the 12 is his normal basking spot, I'd opt for the t5 as 12 is the perfect distance for it when ontop of the screen. However if you get the t5, i'd make it so that he can't get that 4 inches away from it. It's a powerful bulb and even on the mesh, you don't really want him to be able to get that close to it.

Could you mount the t8 inside the tank? You'd probably need to move the hammock.
Since you just got it, you might want to make it for for 4 more months and then when it comes time to replace (at 6 months) just switch to the T5. You will need a new fixture for the t5 bulb though. So it's really your decision on what you want to do.

-Brandon

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":35iydj1o said:
Which spot does he typically bask at? The 12 inch distance or the 4 inch distance?

If the 12 is his normal basking spot, I'd opt for the t5 as 12 is the perfect distance for it when ontop of the screen. However if you get the t5, i'd make it so that he can't get that 4 inches away from it. It's a powerful bulb and even on the mesh, you don't really want him to be able to get that close to it.

Could you mount the t8 inside the tank? You'd probably need to move the hammock.
Since you just got it, you might want to make it for for 4 more months and then when it comes time to replace (at 6 months) just switch to the T5. You will need a new fixture for the t5 bulb though. So it's really your decision on what you want to do.

-Brandon
The 12 inches he isnt really at hes more closer usually like on the mushroom ledge on the tile side on the glass and I'm not sure how I could mount the light inside the carolina cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom