Bearded Dragon With Black Stuff in between teeth?!

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Bearded Dragon With Black Stuff in between teeth?!

Postby Selkie1993 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:30 pm

Hi everyone,

My bearded dragon loves to eat BSFL, the usual salad stuff, occasional fruit, etc.

When he’s been basking and opening his mouth, I notice there is some black bits between his teeth toward the back and along the front. Should I be concerned of any dental issues?

Thanks!
Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Bearded Dragon With Black Stuff in between teeth?!

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:36 pm

Try offering some hard shelled bugs like roaches or superworms (or better yet superworm beetles). The hard shells can help clean out teeth and gums. You can also try cleaning the teeth and gums using q-tips and an oral cleanser like MaxiGuard gel. Unless you see decay or wounded looking skin it's probably not something to worry about too much though.
CooperDragon

Postby Selkie1993 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:07 pm

CooperDragon wrote:Try offering some hard shelled bugs like roaches or superworms (or better yet superworm beetles). The hard shells can help clean out teeth and gums. You can also try cleaning the teeth and gums using q-tips and an oral cleanser like MaxiGuard gel. Unless you see decay or wounded looking skin it's probably not something to worry about too much though.

Ok :) Is there a seller you recommend for bulk mealworms and also waxworms? The ones at the petstore are crap -_-

I also read that sometimes feeding too much fruit can do that, and Im certainly guilty of that so I backed off. Drogon loves his raspberries lol

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:00 pm

There are a lot of good vendors out there. I got my roaches from ABDragons and started a colony. I get my hornworms from Great Lakes Hornworm. I just picked up an order of silk worms from Rainbow Mealworms and was quite satisfied.
CooperDragon

Postby MrSpectrum » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:59 am

Selkie1993 wrote:
CooperDragon wrote:Try offering some hard shelled bugs like roaches or superworms (or better yet superworm beetles). The hard shells can help clean out teeth and gums. You can also try cleaning the teeth and gums using q-tips and an oral cleanser like MaxiGuard gel. Unless you see decay or wounded looking skin it's probably not something to worry about too much though.

Ok :) Is there a seller you recommend for bulk mealworms and also waxworms? The ones at the petstore are crap -_-

I also read that sometimes feeding too much fruit can do that, and Im certainly guilty of that so I backed off. Drogon loves his raspberries lol

Selkie

Not to sound picky, but Coop suggested super worms--not meal worms. They're different species. super worms vs. meal worms.

Check the Feeders forum for vendor recommendations. :wink:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health