Dubia colony not breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
I have a colony of dubia roaches (majority juveniles). I added 12 adults to the mix at the start of December, 2 males, 10 females. Over 2 months later I'm down to 1 male, 8 females. And there are no offspring. The death rate is very low within the colony, around the heat mat it's 28-31°C. There's plenty of spaces to hide with some humidity. I feed them the veggies I feed my beardie, along with oranges and a few bits of dog food once in a while for protein.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like your setup is OK. I remember it taking several months for my colony to start breeding (although I started with mixed sizes no adults). Try adding some favorite foods to their meals. They seem to love squash and pumpkin and orange slices.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
IMO and experience, a high of 87 at the hottest spot is too cool. That means the rest of the enclosure will be much lower temperature wise. I was having trouble getting my colony to initially kick off too. Until I made some temperature changes.

My heat mat covers about 80-90% of the bottom of the bin. And the thermostat probe for the temperature is set to 92 or 94. And I don't have it resting on the bottom. So the bottom actually gets warmer than that, but, that keeps the ambient air temp in there at around 85+. Since the egg crates allow them to move higher or lower (warmer or cooler) they get to pick which temp they like the best.

I used to just set it so that the heat mat at it's hottest was 85, no success. I'm sure if I measured the bottom of the bin now it would be more near 100 at the hottest.

You might try bumping your temps and seeing what happens. It helped a lot for mine.

-Brandon

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2spqni9n said:
IMO and experience, a high of 87 at the hottest spot is too cool. That means the rest of the enclosure will be much lower temperature wise. I was having trouble getting my colony to initially kick off too. Until I made some temperature changes.

My heat mat covers about 80-90% of the bottom of the bin. And the thermostat probe for the temperature is set to 92 or 94. And I don't have it resting on the bottom. So the bottom actually gets warmer than that, but, that keeps the ambient air temp in there at around 85+. Since the egg crates allow them to move higher or lower (warmer or cooler) they get to pick which temp they like the best.

I used to just set it so that the heat mat at it's hottest was 85, no success. I'm sure if I measured the bottom of the bin now it would be more near 100 at the hottest.

You might try bumping your temps and seeing what happens. It helped a lot for mine.

-Brandon

Oh wow, that's interesting I never heard of that. My heat mat doesn't have a thermostat on it as it's only about 7watts, and can't go any hotter unless I tape it to the inside of the bin. If I taped it on the side, would that be safe?

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wrapping a blanket around the bin would probably help more. Or some form of insulation.

It does take awhile for them to start breeding, but typically by 2-3 months you should start seeing your first babies. For instance, some of the females I initially bought when restarting my colony, came already pregnant. So I started seeing babies quick. But like I said, after a couple months I saw no more babies at all. Not until I raised the temp.

You might want to pick up a few more roaches if you can. The more you have, the sooner they will have a population explosion, which is what I'm currently experiencing right now.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
rhaegaldrogo":wgu5xtbm said:
I have a colony of dubia roaches (majority juveniles). I added 12 adults to the mix at the start of December, 2 males, 10 females. Over 2 months later I'm down to 1 male, 8 females. And there are no offspring. The death rate is very low within the colony, around the heat mat it's 28-31°C.
Too cold. According to dubia breeding temperature (and every dubia breeding vid I've seen) it should be 90°-95°F (32°-35°C). :wink:

Non sequitur: Not to be pedantic, but shouldn't this thread be in Feed-ers? :?

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2s4a7tgp said:
rhaegaldrogo":2s4a7tgp said:
I have a colony of dubia roaches (majority juveniles). I added 12 adults to the mix at the start of December, 2 males, 10 females. Over 2 months later I'm down to 1 male, 8 females. And there are no offspring. The death rate is very low within the colony, around the heat mat it's 28-31°C.
Too cold. According to dubia breeding temperature (and every dubia breeding vid I've seen) it should be 90°-95°F (32°-35°C). :wink:

Non sequitur: Not to be pedantic, but shouldn't this thread be in Feed-ers? :?

Oh sorry I didn't see that section ?. And I'll try see if I can increase the tempsz thanks guys :). One of my female roaches actually had babies earlier ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom