Bay leaves for leaf litter

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Leaves and Leaf Litter
Leaf litter can provide for great hiding spots which is likely to be attractive to many bearded dragons, assuming the leaves that are either beneficial for the bearded dragon or at least non toxic.

Issue with leaves includes hiding spots for invertebrate making it almost impossible to catch them. In addition cleaning will be problematic. Although the entire substrate can be replaced daily even if there is a ready source. Regardless it is something best confined rather than used over the entire enclosure.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":10kngyye said:
Leaves and Leaf Litter
Leaf litter can provide for great hiding spots which is likely to be attractive to many bearded dragons, assuming the leaves that are either beneficial for the bearded dragon or at least non toxic.

Issue with leaves includes hiding spots for invertebrate making it almost impossible to catch them. In addition cleaning will be problematic. Although the entire substrate can be replaced daily even if there is a ready source. Regardless it is something best confined rather than used over the entire enclosure.

Thank you for your response karrie I'm aware of the uses of leaf litter but I'm wondering if using bay leaves for leaf litter is okay or is it harmful I know the usual like magnolia leaves mulberry and cattapa but I was wondering if bay leaves would work as well but if in the same sense not harm him if he decided to nibble it and my enclosure is half bioactive and half tile so no worrys on constantly being on the leaves or any such sort

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I really dont know -- some one else on here would haft to weigh in on that subject
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ty60j93 said:
I really dont know -- some one else on here would haft to weigh in on that subject
Karrie
Yeah I couldn't find any sufficient information anywhere I hope someone on here as something on it if not I wont bother with the bay leaves to play it safe but hopefully someone has some insight here

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Since it's an unknown and no one really has an answer for you, I'd just stick to what people usually use in bioactive setups. Unless there is some reason you are set on bay leaves, I'd just go with what's already been tried and tested.

-Brandon

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2xhr5u1p said:
As I posted in the other thread...
All I've found is this from https://www.lizards101.com/what-can-bearded-dragons-eat-and-not-eat-safe-toxic-foods/#Can-bearded-dragons-eat-bay-leaves
Can bearded dragons eat bay leaves

No, bay leaves have not been tested for toxicity in bearded dragons, so don’t feed. And on top of it, bay leaves are rather tough so could also pose a choking hazard.
okay thank you I will stay away from them but I wasnt planning on feeding him them just leaf litter I'll just go with oak leaves or magnolia

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3decvw99 said:
Hi there,

Since it's an unknown and no one really has an answer for you, I'd just stick to what people usually use in bioactive setups. Unless there is some reason you are set on bay leaves, I'd just go with what's already been tried and tested.

-Brandon
Not set on anything persay for leaf litter just already had some organic bay leaves which have a nice smell I'll just stick to what people have done and succeeded in

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Wickedpogana":2wifg02x said:
I will stay away from them but I wasnt planning on feeding him them just leaf litter I'll just go with oak leaves or magnolia
Beardies tend to taste/nibble on anything & everything in their enclosures, so IMO it's better to be safe than sorry. Anything & everything that goes in there (decor items, plants, substrates, paints/finishes, etc.) should be beardie-safe. :wink:

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":oyfef94l said:
Wickedpogana":oyfef94l said:
I will stay away from them but I wasnt planning on feeding him them just leaf litter I'll just go with oak leaves or magnolia
Beardies tend to taste/nibble on anything & everything in their enclosures, so IMO it's better to be safe than sorry. Anything & everything that goes in there (decor items, plants, substrates, paints/finishes, etc.) should be beardie-safe. :wink:
Indeed ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom