14 yr old beardy, long life and loving owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be a sad post so just a fair warning. It's just a story I want to tell

A friend of mine has had her bearded Dragon Herman for over 12 years, he was at least 2 years old when she bought him, thought she doesn't know his exact age. Within the last year, she has noticed his eyesight is going and has started using tongues to give him his food. To make sure that he can find his bugs and salad.

Herman doesn't like their dogs, but has always tolerated them. Yesterday, he just stopped eating and noticed that. Despite eatting his bugs a couple of which a week are hornworms. He was severely dehydrated, she is scared to take him to the vet, because he is so old; (over 14) and he got so weak almost overnight. That she didn't want to take him to the vet, just to risk him dying there. So is giving him extra warm baths, giving him straight water and extra juicy things.

When he ate a hornworm today, she called the emergency vets and they even admitted. Since there isn't really a reptile specific clinic in town, that if he really was so dehydrated. they couldn't even guarantee to be able to properly set up the IV for fluids and it wouldn't be worth stressing him out more.

She thinks, that he is going through liver failure, because he is just so old and when he took this last hornworm noticed his tongue was looking kind of yellow. So she is just trying to make him as comfortable as she can and spoiling him as much as he will allow her too. While he is still with her.

She is hurting and loves the boy, but at the same time can't believe he has made it to at least 14 (possibly older, depending on his actual age when he was getting adopted.) He has been sassy and bitten her a few times over the year, but he was still her scaley boy and loved him dearly.

Sorry again for this sadness. Herman is just a lizard, that loves being spoiled. Even when he is old as dirt and it is amazing. She loves him very much and I hope everyone lizards' get to live as old as this old man.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Wow!!!! 14 years is a good long life for a dragon.

These loving little creatures have a way of getting into your heart in a hurry. They are more than "just a lizard" they have distinct personalities, behavior, and eating habits. They are a lot like dogs when it come to their owners (I mean Slaves). They love you in a dragon kind of way.

As long as he is not in pain, I would let him live out the rest of his days spoiled and, loved to the end.

When I show pictures of my dragons to others and, they call them "lizards" I have to explain it to them.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I know what you mean, my dad still calls my little girl a "big lizard". Which annoys me, but everytime I come over. He asks if I brought her, so he could have some hang out time with her. So for him, I let it pass, especially since hes' admitted he never really liked "big lizards" until Mavis.

But as for Herman, ya, he is a super old man and I don't think he is in pain. I just wanted to share that little bit a his story that I knew. Especially since I love my girl and I know, none of us want to lose our beloved dragons, but hopefully we'll get lucky and they'll live as long as this cranky old man. Part of the reason, why i don't think he is in pain or much pain at least. Is he still climbs up to his basking spot and then into his massive water bowl on the otherside of the tank. Which is his favorite hang out spot, ever since my friend had given up giving him straight water.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I'm glad you shared Herman and his person's story. Whatever happens next it is wonderful to know he has and is living a spoiled life loved by his person. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom