Concerned About Dinraal's Poop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Dinraal has been consistently pooping 2-3x per day everyday. He usually poops before his breakfast, after he eats and then if he goes another time it'll be a few hours after that. They are usually normal shaped logs although sometimes they're just piles of mush.

He's around 5-7 months old we think as he's measureing about 16 inches long. He has a Reptisun t5 tube light in his tank and his basking temps are around 105-110 degrees consistently so I'm not worried about his setup or anything.

He gets fed dubias and bsfl every day along with his salad (mustard greens, kale, collars greens, bok choy, butternut/yellow squash and blueberries (we're cutting his blueberries back to 2-3x pee week)

My question is is he pooping too much? Is something in his diet causing his frequent poops? I'm just concerned, even though Dinraal seems his normal healthy self. He's quite active and has a huge appetite.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would cut back on the blueberries they are high in sugar and should be fed once in awhile --- see if that doesnt help - other wise his diet sounds good to me
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

That is quite a bit of pooing, but if hes eating that much and assimilating that much, there will be lots of waste :)

Idk if you edited how many blueberries you were originally giving in your first post but if it was a good amount, they probably were contributing to the frequent poos too like karrie mentioned.

-Brandon

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Well, we originally started giving him blueberries because he hates every other fruit known to mankind (okay that's an exaggeration lol) to add to his salad. He immediately became obsessed with them, so we started giving them to him every other day with his salads. The funniest part is when he stuffs multiple blueberries into his beard for later xD

Then we realized that fruit shouldn't be given as much as we have been, so then we decided on blueberries only 2-3x per week. If that's the possible reason why he's been pooping so much, I can breathe a sigh of relief because I was thinking way worse.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Cut the blueberries see if his pooping changes- trial and error-
Karrie

arcadia1216

Original Poster
I can do that. Can you guys give me some suggestions on what other fruit to try? He doesn't like mango, strawberries or raspberries. I'm considering trying some apple but of course other ideas would be great!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Apples once in awhile they too will give watery stools if too much- I had a dragon that liked apples but only honey crisp she wouldn't eat any other kind-
Karrie

arcadia1216

Original Poster
Just wanted to post an update on the poop situation! We cut out the Blueberries for the last few days including today and he's only pooped once per day, which makes me feel a lot better (is that weird that i was so concerned over poop? Lol!)

So we're going to try some different fruits that he hasn't tried yet including some apple, but only twice a week in his salads. Thank you everyone!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
arcadia1216":2prqzhbr said:
Can you guys give me some suggestions on what other fruit to try? He doesn't like mango, strawberries or raspberries. I'm considering trying some apple but of course other ideas would be great!
ZaRDoZ isn't big on fruits yet either. He ate 1/2 a peeled blueberry once, and that was it.
Lately, we've been going to a grocery that has a salad bar, and getting small samples of different fruits & veggies to try on him (without having to buy more than 10 BDs could eat in a month... :roll: ).
Very little success, but he did like the cantaloupe & honeydew melons if I fed via forceps. (If it doesn't move, it's not food to him.)

FWIW, Some berries (including blueberries) contain higher levels of fiber, and can act as mild laxatives. Could explain things, but it sounds like you've already figured that out.

SALAD BAR! :laughing6:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom