new Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the site!

First reptile? How exciting! How are you enjoying it so far?

What's the little guy/girls name?

If you have any questions just ask. We have a great friendly community here :)

-Brandon

McBeck

Original Poster
Yes, 1st reptile of any kind. Wanted one for a long time. Mostly just reading about them. Saw this one in a pet store, was so red compared to the others, had to finally do it.
Please feel free to critique my set up.
40 breeder, mesh top
24" light inside enclosure with Reptisun 10.0 bulb
8" reflector with a 150w Exo Terra basking bulb (only heats basking area to 95 degrees do I need to get it closer to the 105 threshold? tank cools to 68-69 degrees at nite)
This over 3 levels of rocks 7", 10" and about 12" from light source
2 crappy thermometers 1 on each end 9 didn't know they were crap until installation)
1 good digital thermometer on basking end
1 digital Hydrometer reading 25-30% humidity and 72 degrees on cool end
Diet; pellets recommended by the store , medium sized cricketscalcium dipped twice a week and small super worms
as of yet zero interest in any fruit or veg I have offered.
thanks!
107356-165544111.jpg

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Hi! So is that spot on the rock where he likes to bask? Need to move the temp probe right down on that rock. You need to know the temp of his spot.
I'm guessing, that 95F is his hot side temp. Not the basking spot temp. That's the only thing I see but I'm a noob too. ? Karrie will prob chime in, she's the best at this stuff and how to get your boy to eat salads, which he needs, not pellets. Fresh is always better. ?
Welcome to the forum. ?
-Dee

McBeck

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, I'll move the probe. get some better thermometers next week for each end

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
McBeck":18eorci0 said:
Thanks for the input, I'll move the probe. get some better thermometers next week for each end
The probe thermometers are the most accurate. I have one on my Petey's basking spot and another on the cool end a couple inches from the lid. Most times, IMO if the basking spot temp is good then the ambient temp on the warm side should be fine. I use an IR temp gun occassionaly but the probes give you better readings and I leave them in the tank so I can check whenever. That's my personal preference, I leave them in, some don't but I check his temps regularly since they all change depending on your house temps.
Hang in there and keep asking questions. So many great people on this forum that helped me and Petey so much.
-Dee

McBeck

Original Poster
Well you were right. I moved the probe down and closer to where it likes to bask. Don't know it's sex yet... The basking spot is reading 102 degrees.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
McBeck":3rh0scx7 said:
Well you were right. I moved the probe down and closer to where it likes to bask. Don't know it's sex yet... The basking spot is reading 102 degrees.
Yay! I believe 102f is good maybe needs a tiny bit warmer but I'm sure someone with more experience will let us know. Having multiple layers to bask on, he prob goes where he likes the temp. If he always basks on the middle rock when he could go cooler or warmer then that's prob what he likes. JMHO
I'm a first time Dragon owner (slave) too. Over the years have had snakes and turtles but 1st Dragon.
Hard to tell the sex when they are young, I just call them all HE until we know for sure. ?
-Dee

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Welcome to the forum! What is your dragon's name?

I second what Dee said about using real food. The pellets could be fed to the insects so they don't go to waste. Once the pellets are gone use the same vegetables your feed your dragon to feed the insects to gut load them

Dragon can eat a wide variety of food. Some good ones includes dandelion greens, collard greens, mustard greens, butternut squash, endive, escarole, carrot, bell peppers, and some small fruits like blueberries. For a big list of foods check here http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I'd also suggest more supplements while your baby is so young. Calcium powder once every day, and a reptile multivitamin powder on three or four meals per week. Using fresh vegetables and bugs and then supplements with heating and UVB is a bit of a learning curve, but very much worth it for a healthy growing dragon to feel his or her best

McBeck

Original Poster
Thanks for the input! I have not named him yet, as I am not sure of sex... I do have a calcium powder I dip the crickets in, I have not gotten a multivitamin supplement, I'll pick that up monday. I have tried Blueberries and baby spinach without success. So far he prefers crickets and small superworms only.
Charming little creature though. Very mellow, seems to enjoy being handled. Likes his chin stroked, and just closes his eyes and relaxes. Probably the most surprising thing about the experience...

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
McBeck":31b8ue03 said:
Thanks for the input! I have not named him yet, as I am not sure of sex... I do have a calcium powder I dip the crickets in, I have not gotten a multivitamin supplement, I'll pick that up monday. I have tried Blueberries and baby spinach without success. So far he prefers crickets and small superworms only.
Charming little creature though. Very mellow, seems to enjoy being handled. Likes his chin stroked, and just closes his eyes and relaxes. Probably the most surprising thing about the experience...
You have no idea how lucky you are to have such a loving, mellow little dragon!
Check out that nutrition link and you'll have plenty of help from here, getting him eating better. You want him growing up strong and healthy. ❤
-Dee

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Dragons can be so picky to get started on vegetables. Keep up the effort of offering a little bowl every day. Even if he/she doesn't eat it knowing that there is vegetables food available makes a difference.

It took about 3 months to teach my dragon to eat vegetables. And then she brumated and when she woke up I had to teacher her all over again! Took less time this second time around. Steady vegetables help them poo regular...and isn't it just good to be regular with poo ? (Lol) And I swear the poo smells less weird with steady vegetables than mostly bugs.

Babies do need a lot of bugs, so keep them up every day :)

McBeck

Original Poster
As of tonight he ate a little baby spinach! I will keep offering veggies in the bowl with a few worms. Put foam board with brown paper on it, behind the back glass to help keep the heat in. Added another lamp to the basking side, and was able to raise the temp, to a constant 106 degrees, cool side is 84. I have not offered a water dish. I am not sure if it it's needed since I mist the veggies and worms.
Also 1 warm water bath, though the jury is out, on whether he liked it or not. lasted about 5 mins and wanted out. lol I didn't make him stay, figured I would try and make it a positive experience...
107356-4301133095.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom