Need to kill some spiders in my house. Beardie Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
My husband was bitten last night by a brown recluse we suspect. He got bitten inside our house so I’d like to call in our pest killing guy to come give the house a once over inside and out. What he uses is safe for kids and animals like dogs and such, but I’m concerned about the bearded dragons and the roaches I have? I can put the Tupperware away, all he does is spray around the baseboards. But should I keep him away from the beardie enclosure? It’s on wheels so I can wheel it out and then put it back in place. And for the roaches, how can I keep them safe to keep my beardies safe? Or is there something you guys use to keep your house spider free? I normally don’t care about the house spiders and such. We leave each other alone. But I cannot have a brown recluse family setting up house in my home and maybe biting the kids or my dog or another one of us. Thanks!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Me and spiders DON'T get along at all!!! If that happened I would move and, burn down the house. Nothing short of a flamethrower for me, LOL!!!

Is there someplace you can take them to (like another house, friend...relative) for a few days? Just until the fumes die down. Of course your Dubia colony would be at risk as well.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Your husband should visit his doctor for a diagnosis if he hasn't already. There are diseases which look like spider bites, go to a doctor. Spider bites are quite rare. Statistically it is highly unlikely to be a spider bite, so he should go to his doctor verify what is going on with him.

Personally I've used more holistic methods of pest control, nothing aimed at spiders, but Box Elder bugs that gather by the thousands around my house on fall. Cedar oils around the perimeter of the house. Eucalyptus oil or lemon oils around the baseboards of the house inside, and windows. Diatomaceous earth is a powerful tool to kill anything with an exoskeleton. I usually place this in doorways, but it could be used as a perimeter inside or outside the house. If outside you need to replace any oils or diatomaceous earth after rain. To me these methods are cost effective and provide results. I've never used a professional but service so I don't know if they are worth the money.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Did he actually see the spider ? or one near where he was about the time he was "bitten" ?

First step - get to doctor and get the "bite' checked.

If a spider, hunt it down and kill it , a bit of timber will do a fine job if it's a dangerous spider like you suspect.

Pest exterminator is IMO like using a nuke when you only need a bullet. They will tell you there are spiders even if there are none and sell you a fumigation of the entire house which will likely only kill a few roaches and all your live feeder insects , and will also likely make every surface the pet lizards can access toxic to them. More drama than they are worth.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
DorgEndo":ds3g2476 said:
Your husband should visit his doctor for a diagnosis if he hasn't already. There are diseases which look like spider bites, go to a doctor. Spider bites are quite rare. Statistically it is highly unlikely to be a spider bite, so he should go to his doctor verify what is going on with him.

Personally I've used more holistic methods of pest control, nothing aimed at spiders, but Box Elder bugs that gather by the thousands around my house on fall. Cedar oils around the perimeter of the house. Eucalyptus oil or lemon oils around the baseboards of the house inside, and windows. Diatomaceous earth is a powerful tool to kill anything with an exoskeleton. I usually place this in doorways, but it could be used as a perimeter inside or outside the house. If outside you need to replace any oils or diatomaceous earth after rain. To me these methods are cost effective and provide results. I've never used a professional but service so I don't know if they are worth the money.

He went to the walk in clinic and the doctor said based on the size of what my husband said he squashed that it likely was not a spider. She gave him some steroid and antibiotic cream though. I’ll see how the area develops. I’m thinking it was maybe a blister beetle since my husband said what he squashed was about the size of a cricket and felt like one. But we haven’t been able to find the body. He has a cluster of blisters in about a 1 inch square space.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":dssrpiyq said:
Did he actually see the spider ? or one near where he was about the time he was "bitten" ?

First step - get to doctor and get the "bite' checked.

If a spider, hunt it down and kill it , a bit of timber will do a fine job if it's a dangerous spider like you suspect.

Pest exterminator is IMO like using a nuke when you only need a bullet. They will tell you there are spiders even if there are none and sell you a fumigation of the entire house which will likely only kill a few roaches and all your live feeder insects , and will also likely make every surface the pet lizards can access toxic to them. More drama than they are worth.

That’s what I was thinking. The doctor does not think it was a spider and we have not been able to find the body, so we are keeping an eye on the bite and I will hold off on the exterminator. We don’t normally have a spider or bug problem, but I did have the windows open yesterday without screens.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
DorgEndo":27zsb01x said:

I never thought of lemon and cedar oils. That’s a great idea for the exterior and such.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Glad it wasn't brown recluse. Just passing on some info from my Dr. I had a spider bite but not a recluse. Took a couple weeks to completely heal. Ask Dr about 5 days into it and he told me, had it been a recluse you will be at the hospital within hours because of the pain. You won't wait. Lol! I lived in a 115 yo cotton mill that was made into Apts and we had spiders, including brown recluse. But for anyone that's concerned, brown recluse bite is excruciating and you won't wait to hit the ER. Breath a sigh of relief. ?
As for exterminator, I didn't use them at the apt but used some pet safe stuff from HD. Didn't have Dragon at the time but had 4 cats. Just my .02. ?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Fortunately, I live outside the range of brown recluse, and while theoretically within the range of widows, I have never seen one in my sixty-mumble years of living here.

That said, we do have pests, and whenever possible, try to deal with them naturally before calling the pros. (We get yellow jackets bi-annually, and have been using the same guy to deal with them for 30 years. :) )

I think the first step (as others have mentioned) is identifying the exact pest(s) you're dealing with. Then, by all means, do some research, e.g. Search: killing [pest] naturally.
I would also contact your local (by state or locality) cooperative extension. They usually have excellent information on what pests you may have, how to deal with them, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom