Is this diet good for a beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Hi there :). I just want to check what veggies I'm feeding my 4 month old beardie is good

His staples would probably be lambs lettuce, raddico (sorry can't spell it ?), escarole, endive, carrots, frisée, bok choi, red chard, and watercress. I usually throw in some coriander and celery too

Every few weeks I'll get him white cabbage, beetroot, bean sprouts, bell peppers, and red cabbage

He'll sometimes get small portions of sweet chili peppers, apples, grapes, and mango. Sorry this is so long ?. But does everything there seem ok? I can't give him collard or mustard greens so I try to vary it up, hope everything there is ok?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
4 months old , diet needs to be mostly live high quality insects .

Offer some greens and salad but make sure the hatchling gets his required protein , fats and calcium .

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1znvzkv6 said:
4 months old , diet needs to be mostly live high quality insects .

Offer some greens and salad but make sure the hatchling gets his required protein , fats and calcium .

Oh yeah he gets insects twice a day; crickets, calcium worms or dubia roaches :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
jimmykohn":4ba6x4b0 said:
I believe the recommended beardie diet proportions are 2/3 of food ration to be live insects as they help babies to grow and the rest 1/3 can be plants food.

If a hatchling eats any salad it's a bonus , and not something you need obsess about , since the crickets / roaches / hoppers will be gutloaded with fresh salad anyway.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kingofnobbys":bgju1brn said:
jimmykohn":bgju1brn said:
I believe the recommended beardie diet proportions are 2/3 of food ration to be live insects as they help babies to grow and the rest 1/3 can be plants food.

If a hatchling eats any salad it's a bonus , and not something you need obsess about , since the crickets / roaches / hoppers will be gutloaded with fresh salad anyway.
Agree to disagree. The nutrients provided by salads are essential and getting a baby to eat salad is a must IMO. A cricket eating some salad and then being eaten by a dragon will not be as nutritious as a dragon eating a cricket and then that same salad itself.

Protein and fat's aren't the only thing required for a body to grow. Micronutrients are equally just as important.

-Brandon

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies :). Yes his veggies are only about 30% or so of his diet. Is the selection of veggies I'm feeding him ok/will suit him as an adult do yous think?

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
claudiusx":2fq8mdb9 said:
kingofnobbys":2fq8mdb9 said:
jimmykohn":2fq8mdb9 said:

Agree to disagree. The nutrients provided by salads are essential and getting a baby to eat salad is a must IMO. A cricket eating some salad and then being eaten by a dragon will not be as nutritious as a dragon eating a cricket and then that same salad itself.

Protein and fat's aren't the only thing required for a body to grow. Micronutrients are equally just as important.

-Brandon
I agree salads for a juvenile or hatchling is a must you must introduce him to his main diet as possible as can. When your adult dragon sticks his nose up to veggies you'll know why it was essential. Hell I feed my juvenile 60% veggies and 40% insects and he is growing super fast I guess it comes down to variety and husbandry in my opinion

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Those sounds like great vegetable choices. The more variety the better, so your plan of those variable vegetables every few weeks makes sense. It can be tricky to offer a wide variety since stores sell human sized portions. One critique would be adding butternut squash to the staple section, you could move carrots to the every few weeks section. Butternut squash has the proven health/nutritional benefits, and the more I read from people who use it there may be additional positive effects like the squash cleaning out food from getting stuck in the teeth. It is great your guy eats so many vegetables already

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
DorgEndo":kntxpufg said:
Those sounds like great vegetable choices. The more variety the better, so your plan of those variable vegetables every few weeks makes sense. It can be tricky to offer a wide variety since stores sell human sized portions. One critique would be adding butternut squash to the staple section, you could move carrots to the every few weeks section. Butternut squash has the proven health/nutritional benefits, and the more I read from people who use it there may be additional positive effects like the squash cleaning out food from getting stuck in the teeth. It is great your guy eats so many vegetables already

Oh ok thank you! Yeah I was feeding him butternut squash, but I think they're only available here when they're in season :/. I think I'm lucky with him.in that regard - he used to be a little fussy but now he just eats Pretty much everything ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom