Sick or Lazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would definitely get some form of imaging done before you elect for what is essentially exploratory surgery. I have extremely high doubts that your vet can "feel" enlarged ovaries. I don't understand why your vet would even be willing to do surgery without first imaging.

Imagine if you do pay for the imaging and find out she doesn't have what the vet is assuming. Then you just saved yourself a ton of money and saved your dragon from going through a risky procedure. At the least, it's an insurance policy.

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3corur17 said:
I would definitely get some form of imaging done before you elect for what is essentially exploratory surgery. I have extremely high doubts that your vet can "feel" enlarged ovaries. I don't understand why your vet would even be willing to do surgery without first imaging.

Imagine if you do pay for the imaging and find out she doesn't have what the vet is assuming. Then you just saved yourself a ton of money and saved your dragon from going through a risky procedure. At the least, it's an insurance policy.

-Brandon

I can only afford surgery or the image. Not both. So if I get the ultrasound and she needs surgery...I can’t get it for her...

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":280n3oo9 said:

-Brandon
My vet said she would really like imaging but if money is an issue (which it is) and we just to the surgery, it won’t hurt to spay her anyways so it doesn’t happen in the future. Basically she said even if it isn’t what she thinks it is they’re already in there and can figure out what’s going on as well as just going ahead and spaying her so it’s not a problem in the future

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well then you are taking a gamble.

Personally, I wouldn't do the surgery without the imaging. Especially since I don't believe Ryuk has follicular stasis.

Something you can do, since you thought Ryuk was a boy this whole time, can you post up a sexing picture like this:
sexing-bearded-dragon-male-667x500.jpg

That way we can at least verify that Ryuk is a female.

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2bu7r2xw said:

Personally, I wouldn't do the surgery without the imaging. Especially since I don't believe Ryuk has follicular stasis.

Something you can do, since you thought Ryuk was a boy this whole time, can you post up a sexing picture like this:

-Brandon

If she does have it and I don’t get the surgery done what happens?... I’m just scared and I’m at a loss for what to do....I don’t know whether to take your advice or to listen to the vet... I just don’t know. I really don’t know what to do. I’ll post some pictures of her.

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":22om1b2w said:

-Brandon

The image you inserted isn’t showing up

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you sure? I'm seeing the picture I posted just fine.

Well if you can't see it, just google "bearded dragon sexing" and look at how people take pictures of the tails arched backwards and up. And then upload a picture like that so we can see if Ryuk is a boy or girl.

If she has it and you don't get surgery, it can be fatal. However surgery can be fatal too, especially if your dragon is sick for another reason.
It's really your call, I'm just giving you what I would do personally.

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster

Well if you can't see it, just google "bearded dragon sexing" and look at how people take pictures of the tails arched backwards and up. And then upload a picture like that so we can see if Ryuk is a boy or girl.

If she has it and you don't get surgery, it can be fatal. However surgery can be fatal too, especially if your dragon is sick for another reason.

-Brandon[/quote]

101770-3112785365.jpg
101770-8324259421.jpg
101770-9361750907.jpg
101770-9177343323.jpg

Here are some pictures. The doctor said she seems very healthy. Just as a run down, symptoms are very smelly poop, kind of watery, not as active except to eat, hasnt shed in months, but she isn’t thin, her abdomen isn’t extended or bloated, she eats fine, goes to the bathroom regularly and according to the vet was a very healthy weight and size but her fat pats were a little small.

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":43c5g6ll said:

-Brandon

She doesn’t seem critically sick. Just like maybe something is bothering her. If it was folicular stasis doesn’t that often show much more serious problems such as not eating, lack of alertness, extended abdomen etc?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Based on that last picture, Ryuk is a Male......

Can you post another one like the last but maybe with different lighting? The flash kinda washes out ther shadowing we are looking for.

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":18073lje said:

Can you post another one like the last but maybe with different lighting? The flash kinda washes out ther shadowing we are looking for.

-Brandon

I’ve seen the sexing pictures before, to me honestly it looks more like a plate shape at the base of the tail, no oval shapes on the side at all. I have never known what the sex is. Simply Called it male because I wanted it to be. It wasn’t any sort of guess by any means.
101770-8635163204.jpg
101770-305293901.jpg

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":35z1wn1c said:

-Brandon
The flashlight test also shows what looks to me to be a female.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you get a picture doing the flashlight method?

Sometimes it's hard to tell over pictures. If you think she is female though based on what you see that's probably good enough. It's just in that one picture I definitely see shadowing of two hemipenes

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3ft7b1qg said:
Can you get a picture doing the flashlight method?

Sometimes it's hard to tell over pictures. If you think she is female though based on what you see that's probably good enough. It's just in that one picture I definitely see shadowing of two hemipenes

-Brandon
101770-7823884566.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom