Sick or Lazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
My dragon has been very lethargic lately. It is the winter months however he has just turned a year old and I didn’t think they brumated till older. He hasn’t moved much from one spot in his tank and even when I get him out he doesn’t play or move around. Only time he moves is to eat. His poop has also been a bit running for a while now but nothing extreme. He has also been very dark and his stress marks are there constantly. His temps in the tank are fine. Could he be dehydrated? I’m just worried that he has been so lethargic for over a week. Just don’t want my baby to pass away because I mistook illness for laziness. Any ideas?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for lighting? UVB coil or a tube - how old is the UVB and where in the tank is it? top of screen or inside the tank ? Basking temps? what are they and how are you taking them? They do slow down in the winter months -- however the runny poop tells me his diet is off - possible parasites does his poop smell that it drives you from the room? or the lighting is off - especially if hes dark - could be hes trying to absorb heat --- any black beard ?
Karrie

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":29jj9tff said:
What are you using for lighting? UVB coil or a tube - how old is the UVB and where in the tank is it? top of screen or inside the tank ? Basking temps? what are they and how are you taking them? They do slow down in the winter months -- however the runny poop tells me his diet is off - possible parasites does his poop smell that it drives you from the room? or the lighting is off - especially if hes dark - could be hes trying to absorb heat --- any black beard ?
Karrie

Tube UVB on top of the tank but I bought a higher level of uvb and calculated the percentage the screen blocks and it is enough so all is well there. I have one of the laser thermometers and his basking temps are between 90-100. His poop smells absolutely terrible however it always has. Could he have been living with parasites since I’ve had him?! :( He does tend to be on the smaller side for his age. If he has had them for a very long time could that be the cause of his size as well? I just thought maybe he was on the smaller size. His beard isn’t black he has almost never puffs his beard unless he is stretching... nor have I ever really seen it go black. He still moves and chases his crickets and goes to eat his salad. Other than that though not much movement anymore.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so the first thing I would do is call your reptile vet ask if you can bring in a fecal for testing for parasites / worms--- go from there - what is the distance you have the UVB from his basking decor - w/ it being on top of the tank and if the tank is fine mesh it should be 6-8 inches --- the next thing I would do is change your staple feeder to dubia roaches --- I would also get him some BSFL - http://www.symptonbsf.com - order large - do not dust - another great staple feeder -- you can get dubias from these websites http://www.dubiaroaches.com http://www.abdragons.com http://www.mulberryfarms.com - most of these places have other worms like silk butter and super worms -- you might want to offer him those as well -- silk worms are a good staple feeder as well --- mulberryfarms had them on sale and now are sold out --- here is a website to find a vet in case you need it
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Any update for us? How's your dragon doing?

Would you be able to post a picture of your setup and your dragon?

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":ihyspvkq said:
Hi there,

Any update for us? How's your dragon doing?

Would you be able to post a picture of your setup and your dragon?

-Brandon

I’m on my way to the vet with him right now! We are currently in the car! Gonna have them do some fecal testing and go from there. Was afraid he would be scared of the car ride but he is actually doing very well. I’ll let you all know the results and how he is doing when I find out. Thank you for your help!

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3ox51hwm said:
Thanks for the update! Sending good thoughts your way :)

-Brandon

Im currently sobbing and I don’t know what to. She is a girl and she has to be spayed because she is developing eggs and it’s making them inflamed and her sick. I cant afford surgery I’m a teen my family hates her and won’t put money towards her at all. I have a Chronic condition of my own and I can’t hold a job and do school, I have no money. I cant just let it slowly kill her. What do I do?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh no, I'm so sorry.

So did they do x rays or something to determine that she has eggs? What all did they do to come to that conclusion?

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":7ik197e9 said:
Oh no, I'm so sorry.

So did they do x rays or something to determine that she has eggs? What all did they do to come to that conclusion?

-Brandon

She said she could feel them and based off that and her tenderness there and symptoms that she is very certain that’s what it is. An ultrasound to confirm would cost as much as the surgery. She said we could skip the ultrasound if price is a problem because spaying her wouldn’t hurt her even if it’s not what it is because it will prevent it in the future.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did she give you a price for the surgery?

A lot of times you can't really feel the eggs. Can you yourself feel the eggs? You could always create a lay box for her and see if she is able to pass her eggs.

Some form of further testing should have been done just to confirm it, but I understand the money issue.

Did you not get a fecal done?

If you could post a picture of her and her setup it would help. I'd like to see how she generally looks.

-Brandon

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":ye47vji9 said:
Did she give you a price for the surgery?

A lot of times you can't really feel the eggs. Can you yourself feel the eggs? You could always create a lay box for her and see if she is able to pass her eggs.

Some form of further testing should have been done just to confirm it, but I understand the money issue.

Did you not get a fecal done?

If you could post a picture of her and her setup it would help. I'd like to see how she generally looks.

-Brandon
She said she felt the follicles or the beginning of the eggs and that her ovaries were enlarged. She said she didn’t see a need for a fecal because she is a good weight and size and is eating fine. She also said the symptoms she is having line up with the ovary thing. I don’t remember exactly what she called it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Preovulatory stasis?

I've not heard of you being able to tell just by feel. Typically imaging tests need to be done. I could be wrong though. I guess you would be able to feel if the ovaries were enlarged, but I'm not sure. This was a reptile vet correct?

A picture would help. Typically if the ovaries are packed like that, the stomach will be very full. Is she breathing ok?

She does have symptoms of parasites though, just based on the fact that you mentioned her poo is loose/runny and very stinky. Dragons will eat just fine while chocked full of parasites many times.

I'm sorry I know this must be so frustrating for you.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, please do post some pics of her , that will really help out. Pics of the tank set up as well. You might try bumping the basking temp. up by 5-8 degrees. I don't think you can really feel follicles of the eggs either. Is your vet a real reptile vet or just an exotic's vet ? And yes she may be dehydrated, offer water by dripping it slowly on her snout. Try a short warm soak, too and dribble a bit of water on her snout.

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Im putting this in the ER section because I need information quickly, she’s scheduled for surgery thursday. My bearded dragon went for a wellness exam today and they confirmed that she was a girl and said she felt follicles forming on her ovaries and that her ovaries were swollen. What she felt along with her age, recent behavior and symptoms led her to believe she has follicular stasis. She said she needed surgery to prevent it from getting worse and making her very sick. She said she could do an ultrasound to confirm that’s what it was before she does surgery if it comforted me more, however she said it isn’t necessary and I don’t have the money to pay for an ultrasound that would be equally as much money as the surgery. Has anyone had to have their bearded dragons spayed and or have follicles removed? Im worried sick about how she will do under anesthesia. She is about a year and a half old and the vet said she seems very healthy otherwise and that it seems we caught it early enough before she started deteriorating. Im hoping for the best but I’m absolutely terrified that I’ll lose her. What is the chance that she won’t wake up from the anesthesia? How can I best care for her before surgery and after? Does anyone know of any complications that could follow the surgery later on? I’m just so worried and my mom and I are scraping every penny we have to help her. Im so scared, I have depression and Ryuk has helped me so much by giving me something to wake up to and knowing I have to take care of myself for her sake because I’m all she has in this world too. Im so scared...what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom