Uric acid and white blood cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaida

Hi all. We have received blood results for our bearded dragon, which indicates high uric acid and low white blood cells count. Vet wasn't very optimistic and even suggested to put him down as we dont know if his kidneys are damaged and if it is what level. X ray didn't show any crystals in his joints. His legs are swalen. We now need to decide which way to go. Vet didn't give him much chance for getting better, but I would like to get other opinions. I have started to blend some his veggies and give it with syringe to reduce dehydration. Bought montmorency cherry juice for now till black cherry juice will arrive from amazon.
Any other suggestions pls?
Thanks

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Could you post the actual results of the blood work? The full panel please.

The crystals aren't always visible in the xrays. If UA is high and joints are swollen, its 100% gout if no bones were seen to be broken in the xrays.

The cherry extract will help. So will the extra hydration. Did the vet not even mention starting him on allopurinol?

Can you post a picture of your dragon? How old is he?

What was his daily diet like up until this point and what are you planning to feed now? Keeping protein low is key. Plus all the moisture in salad items helps flush the UA.

The low WBC isnt too concerning to me. But seeing the full panel and the numbers might change that.

-Brandon

Vaida

Original Poster
Vet just gave me some pain killers. Didn't mention any madication, just his blood is very bad and there is little chance he can recover. He one year and a half. Will send some pictures tomorrow as he is a sleep now.
Up to now we gave him 5-10 bugs every other day plus salad/veg every day. Some weeks he got only once or twice a week bugs

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh boy that really is a very high UA level.

I would talk tot he vet about the allopurinol. He is quite young it can hopefully still be reversed. I'm not sure why the WBC would be as low as it is.

What insects was he eating?

I would definitely go back at the vet and ask to at least try the treatment and retest bloods in a few weeks. If that doesnt work at least you know you tried. But a lot of times, diet changes and the allo help quite quickly.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a high uric acid count, absolutely!
He should be placed on the allopurinol because he is young & deserves a chance. Will the
vet consider that for him? Crystals are not always seen on x-rays as Brandon said due to the
composition of them sometimes.
Please post pictures of him so we can see the swelling on his legs.
What do you feed your insects? Do you feed him dubia or crickets?
At his age, I would give him a chance because he should be able to recover from that. The
black cherry juice will help him out but he will need meds.
I do have a website & offer allopurinol in a gout ease kit that I made up to help dragons out
with gout & the symptoms. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Vaida

Original Poster
Good morning, as soon as our vet will open will give then a call to give us the med.
He was not very keen on crikets, so mainly he ate hopers and dubia roaches. Bugs have been fed bug crub salads fruit and jelly from the shop.
Definitely will try to put him back on his feet.
How much cherry juice shall I offer for him daily?

Thanks guys x

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good morning,

Definitely cut out the dubia roaches. They are naturally high in UA, plus high in protein. Both working against you right now.

I'd focus on hydrating salad items like leafy greens and vegies for right now. You want to keep protein pretty low until those UA numbers come down.

Let us know if the vet is willing to work with you. If not, like Tracie said, she can get you the allopurinol.

-Brandon

Vaida

Original Poster
Hi all, thankbyou for suport. Vet gave some antibiotics and allopurinol pack.

Fingers crossed now ????
Is there any other way to get allopurinol, as my vet charged 15 pound to write a prescription ??, medication itself cost less

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Tracie sells it on her site. Not 100% sure if she ships over to the other side of the pond, but I'm sure she will be back on tonight and let you know :)

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh definitely cut the dubias out right now, they are high in protein & uric acid so do reduce
protein & change the feeders you give, also if possible.
Which antibiotics did the vet give? I don't think he needs to be on antibiotics if he has gout.
How much is he charging you for the allopurinol, per month?
I do ship to the UK & across the pond, absolutely.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom