It IS the Plant god!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I've mentioned in some other threads/posts that ZaRDoZ has been exhibiting some different behavior in the last month or so by what I've been calling, "worshipping the plant god", assuming this position for a couple of hours every morning instead of his previous routine of climbing the mountain to warm-up bask before breakfast, i.e.
105703-7879900508.jpg
“Praise to you almighty plant god. Oh lord, oooh you are so big. So absolutely huge. Gosh, I’m really impressed down here I can tell you. Forgive me, O Lord, for this, my dreadful toad-ying and barefaced flattery. But you are so strong and, well, just so super. Fantastic. Amen. Gimme bugz!"
---Paraphrased/parodied from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Different theories have been postulated as to why he's doing this/what it means.
Is it the location in the enclosure or the plant itself? He sure can't/doesn't warm up down on the enclosure floor...
Well, this past week, I had the opportunity to do some rearranging/remodeling of his "Big Brick Basking Mountain" (à la Big Rock Candy Mountain), and in the process, I moved the "plant god" to the opposite side of the enclosure. Since then, he's been doing this for those first couple hours every morning...
105703-363873244.jpg
So I'm concluding at this point that it's got to be something about that plant (or planter). He doesn't eat or even nibble the plant (Echeveria Violet Queen)--just hangs out on/around it.

Weeerd. :?

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
He's beautiful! Love the knee socks. ?
Maybe he just really likes THAT plant. Who knows what goes on in their little Dragon brains?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
He finished his shed. His body is already starting to haze over again; I've never seen all of him at once without something shedding.

Yup, there's something about that plant... This morning he spent 2 hrs sitting there (like 2nd pic) before climbing the tower to bask. Then I fed him breakfast. He jumped off the whole 3 stories (~14 inches) and dove face-first into his bowl. After eating a pretty much the whole bowl of greens yesterday, today he picked his num-nums out from between them--or spat them (the greens) out. Greens strewn all over the enclosure, including under the mountain (How he did that, I'll never....). Never ate so much as a single morsel of greens. Now he's sitting atop his mountain looking all satiated with his, "Leave me alone.... I'm basking," expression/pose. A couple/few more hours, and he'll be down paying obeisance to the plant again.

It's so weeerd!

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":2h1fnvo0 said:
He finished his shed. His body is already starting to haze over again; I've never seen all of him at once without something shedding.

Yup, there's something about that plant... This morning he spent 2 hrs sitting there (like 2nd pic) before climbing the tower to bask. Then I fed him breakfast. He jumped off the whole 3 stories (~14 inches) and dove face-first into his bowl. After eating a pretty much the whole bowl of greens yesterday, today he picked his num-nums out from between them--or spat them (the greens) out. Greens strewn all over the enclosure, including under the mountain (How he did that, I'll never....). Never ate so much as a single morsel of greens. Now he's sitting atop his mountain looking all satiated with his, "Leave me alone.... I'm basking," expression/pose. A couple/few more hours, and he'll be down paying obeisance to the plant again.

It's so weeerd!

I think their quirks are fabulous! Their facial expressions are the best. Petey cracks me up. Some of the looks he can give makes me LOL at times. People that don't KNOW, do not realize that reptiles have distinct personalities.
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
DragonPete":150y3c8e said:
I think their quirks are fabulous! Their facial expressions are the best. Petey cracks me up. Some of the looks he can give makes me LOL at times. People that don't KNOW, do not realize that reptiles have distinct personalities.
-Dee
After she got married, comedienne Rita Rudner used to do a bit about marriage communication. She thought the most common phrase she'd here around the house would be, "I love you," or something along those lines. But the most common phrase turned out to be, "Whaaat?" (not hearing what each other was saying from different parts of the abode.) She was correct, of course. :laughing6:

Lately, however, the most common phrase seems to be, "Com'ere, you gotta see this!" (referring to whatever the silly lizard is doing). :D

And of course, ya gotta move fast--cuz he'll probably stop doing it by the time you get there! :lol:
Most of the time I can't even get the lens cap off the camera, turn it on, and frame/focus fast enough before he's moved or stopped doing whatever.... :roll:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Absolutely! I can't get my phone and get it open and on, even though it's only a few feet away, before he moves or stops doing what he's doing. So frustrating! But then kids and other pets do the same thing. And your car! Never does what you want to show your mechanic!
-Dee

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
OMG, all of this is true and hits home, LOL!!!
Hey, you gotta see this...
The camera thing.....
And those glaring stares and smiles...

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Today is "vitamin day" and ZaRDoZ hates the stuff. I just gave him his lunchtime bowl of num-nums dusted w/ his weekly vitamins. DW just happened to be standing a few feet away (she's amazed at his feeding response). He jumped down his tower, munched one roach, then stomped away, turned, and glared at me as if to say, "You...[use your imagination]" DW is still chuckling. :laughhard:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":1r0pvazn said:
Today is "vitamin day" and ZaRDoZ hates the stuff. I just gave him his lunchtime bowl of num-nums dusted w/ his weekly vitamins. DW just happened to be standing a few feet away (she's amazed at his feeding response). He jumped down his tower, munched one roach, then stomped away, turned, and glared at me as if to say, "You...[use your imagination]" DW is still chuckling. :laughhard:

Oh yeah! You can read it in their face! Too funny! ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom