4 month old beardie broken ankle. Any advice please???

Status
Not open for further replies.

emily92

Original Poster
Yep I’ve always given him water that way, while also leaving a water dish in his terrarium to drink/walk in

emily92

Original Poster
Took him to the vet today. After looking into it more, he told me what I figured all along, Spyro has gout ?. He now has swelling in the joints in his front and back legs, and is starting to have limited mobility in one of his front legs. They are going to make an allopurinol compound tomorrow to get it diluted enough for his size and start it ASAP. Also have to replace as much animal protein as I can with vegetable protein. Which is going to be hard because Spyro LOVES his crickets. I’m somewhat hopeful he might be ok since they’re willing to formulate a medication to treat what he has. But I know the end result if it doesn’t work.... I just want my little buddy to pull thru. He’s one of the most amazing and affectionate (in his own ways) pet that I’ve had. If anyone has any tips on dealing with gout, I could use all the help I can get

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little dude. :( Hopefully the meds. will help out and this can turn around to be manageable. Cherry extract would be good as Tracie mentioned, too. He will still need protein because he's a young juvenile so crickets will still be part of his diet. Try smoothies as well with a variety of greens as well as green beans. I'm sure Tracie will have some suggestions for you. I do wish you + Spyro the best, hang in there !

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Make sure you are giving him extra hydration too. Extra hydration helps flush excess UA from the system, which will help stop more crystals from developing.

Usually the Allo works very well, and pretty quickly too. Did/is the vet going to do any bloodwork to check the effectiveness of his dosing? A before and after would be ideal IMO. But maybe not necessary.

-Brandon

emily92

Original Poster
He hasn’t done bloodwork, he didn’t think he’d be able to draw up much to test since he’s on the small side for his age. But he is consistently growing, I just ordered cherry extract and cranberry, switched his pellet food to the one I have that has all soy protein and has lots of greens in it too. I’ve always been a little ocd with his hydration and have given him water from a medicine dropper so he’s staying very hydrated. I just hope we caught it just in time so the allopurinol can work

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I was so afraid of that, I am so sorry.
At least however, your vet did prescribe allopurinol for you. Is he starting him on the upper
echelon of doses, 20mg/kg? He is too small for a blood draw, but his symptoms definitely
are telling. I hope too much renal damage was done with all of the antibiotics that were already
given.
I have a lot of experience with gout on beardies. The most difficult part is that he is still young &
growing so he needs his protein. Try to keep his protein at a minimum if possible. Crickets are
a lot better than dubias so that's good he is eating those. Alfalfa leaf/powder is a very good non-
purine source of protein you could supplement for him. You are using pellets that have soy in them,
correct? If so, I hate to have to tell you this, but I would highly recommend avoiding all products
that contain especially soy or corn products due to genetically modified organisms. They are very
harmful to the organs of people & animals alike & will contribute to organ problems & possible
failure of them. I would look for organic foods only to avoid gmo & pesticide ingestion for him.
The cherry juice is helpful in combination with the allopurinol, to be used daily.
You can make him nutritional slurries out of fresh greens, squash, baby foods, etc also.

Let us know how Spyro is doing.
Tracie

emily92

Original Poster
Thank you for the tip on the soy foods. I found a pellet food with no corn or soy that is made for optimal absorption and digestion. Spyro’s ankle initially started swelling after I gave him dubia roaches for the first and last time l, so now that makes sense. I’m not sure the exact dose they’re starting him on, I’ll find out once the compound is done

Spyro sure is grumpy that I’ve drastically cut back on how many crickets he gets. He could easily devour about 10-14 in one feeding. Now I’m giving him 5. If you could imagine the grumpy cat face on a bearded dragon, that’s the look he has lol.

We’re starting the allopurinol treatment today, along with the black cherry extract. Hopefully he has some improvement soon. I didn’t realize how painful it is for them. Any ideas on how to relieve his pain? I know medicines wouldn’t be good for his kidneys

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
emily92":2iqasrbk said:
Thank you for the tip on the soy foods. I found a pellet food with no corn or soy that is made for optimal absorption and digestion. Spyro’s ankle initially started swelling after I gave him dubia roaches for the first and last time l, so now that makes sense. I’m not sure the exact dose they’re starting him on, I’ll find out once the compound is done

Spyro sure is grumpy that I’ve drastically cut back on how many crickets he gets. He could easily devour about 10-14 in one feeding. Now I’m giving him 5. If you could imagine the grumpy cat face on a bearded dragon, that’s the look he has lol.

We’re starting the allopurinol treatment today, along with the black cherry extract. Hopefully he has some improvement soon. I didn’t realize how painful it is for them. Any ideas on how to relieve his pain? I know medicines wouldn’t be good for his kidneys

Yep , I can visualize a grumpy beardie face , he knows he's being shortchanged on the bugs , they can count them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is really good to hear you are starting him on the allopurinol so quickly, I hope that
it helps him out. Continue the black cherry juice too, it will work well in conjunction together.
If you wanted to consider getting some serrapeptase, which is silkworm enzyme, to help
with his pain it is pretty effective. It is a safe & natural alternative for pain relief that can be
used long term.
I'm sure that he's not thrilled about being cut off from so many bugs, bless him.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

emily92

Original Poster
He isn’t improving much just yet, but doesn’t seem to be getting worse either. The vet gave me an allopurinol compound made of a 100mg tablet in 14ml of orasweet. I have to give him 0.1 ml every day. He loves the cherry concentrate, but it’s harder to get him to drink plain water now. I also noticed that he now has constant wet spots, almost like sweat, over his eye and around his nose. Also, the tip of his nose is turning gray, and he has dark spots in that area which are a bit odd and concerning. I’m attaching pictures of what his nose is looking like

What dose should I give him of the silkworm enzyme? Any thoughts on what is going on with his head and nose? I’m planning on calling the vet to see if this is normal

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186853520@N06/49554649626/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186853520@N06/49554649416/in/dateposted-public/

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
His head/nose is fine. :) That's just a shed coming on and happens to all beardies. So sorry that the little guy has gout, at least he still looks alert + otherwise healthy. Gout can come on after an injury so that fall may have been a factor. Hopefully the medicine will help him out !

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not sure on the silkworm enzyme dose, maybe tracie will be able to help you with that.

The Allo usually starts helping pretty quickly, so hopefully you start seeing some good improvements :)

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is little Spyro? His nose area is going to shed!
The allopurinol is not instant but it starts working internally, very fast. Which serrapeptase
are you using, does it have a strength of the solution listed?
So his dose of the meds sounds ok, what is his weight & I can double check his dose for you.

Tracie

emily92

Original Poster
Spyro is doing amazing!! His swelling has gone down, he has perked up clearly feeling better, and is growing so much! At his appointment sometime in January he was 34 grams. I weighed him yesterday, after his morning poop, and he’s 96 grams!! I’ve been feeding him a soy and corn free pellet food with probiotics and vitamins for immunity. Still only giving him about 6 or so crickets everyday or every other day, right after he takes his medicine, followed by black cherry concentrate. I’m giving him his water with an oral syringe, he drinks probably around 6 or 7 mls per day. And he luckily loves his mustard greens and dandelion salads ?

I’m almost out of his compound. The vet gave me the extra pills so I can compound it myself, and since I work in a pharmacy I got the orasweet, but I’m not sure what concentration and dose to make it for his weight. His current compound is a 100mg allopurinol with 14ml ora-sweet and he gets 0.1 ml daily. The vet compounded it when he weighed 34 grams

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186853520@N06/49725103082/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186853520@N06/49724784241/in/dateposted-public

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186853520@N06/49724783826/in/dateposted-public

I had noticed for awhile that he has a constant bend in his tail. Is that normal? The tip is a little darker than the rest, which it pretty much has always been, but the bend is odd. The last thing my little guy needs is tail rot

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186853520@N06/49724784066/in/dateposted-public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom