NON adhesive liner - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Hi all!
Just wondered why it's always recommended to get NON adhesive shelf liner for inside the tank/viv. Seems like having it stuck to the bottom would make it easier to clean, it wouldn't move around. I'm sure there is a logical reason, my brain just isn't functioning today. ?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
So it can be easily removed & replaced if it does get messed up--same as newspaper, paper towel, etc. Sometimes the adhesive type comes off easily; other times, it can leave small pieces attached, which then have to be scraped off.

The non-adhesive can still be tacked down along edges & seams with painters (or other easily removable) tape. This kind of liner is also (IME) less likely to allow moisture (wet poop) to soak in or leak through, which is also a blessing in disguise... :wink:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":ova9su6z said:
So it can be easily removed & replaced if it does get messed up--same as newspaper, paper towel, etc. Sometimes the adhesive type comes off easily; other times, it can leave small pieces attached, which then have to be scraped off.

The non-adhesive can still be tacked down along edges & seams with painters (or other easily removable) tape. This kind of liner is also (IME) less likely to allow moisture (wet poop) to soak in or leak through, which is also a blessing in disguise... :wink:

Oh ok. I thought maybe the heat would cause off gassing of the adhesive or something.
With the vinyl adhesive stuff like contact paper, seems it would make it easier to clean. Spray with vinegar water, clean poo up with a paper towel. I think I'm missing something. ?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh wait, without paper towels or something on it, you'd still have the issue of them walking thru it and making a mess if you aren't right there to clean quickly. He'll do that on paper if I'm not home to clean immediately.
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Right. As far as out-gassing, I'd be more concerned with the liner material itself. I use it under the tile floor (taped seams & edges) to catch anything that may--pun intended--slip through the cracks. Keeps any out-gassing to a minimum, because there's no exposed vinyl.

Even though ZaRDoZ is paper trained, he isn't 100%, and does occasionally dump a big wet stinkie right on a seam between tiles. Fortunately, the Nature's Miracle for Stinky Dragons I use is very good at seeping down those same cracks, killing any odors, bacteria, etc. When opening the enclosure doors, all anyone can smell is basil (from the basil forest). IME, vinegar takes a while to dissipate--may be less of an issue with a screened/open top.

If you're using it as a liner under paper towel, I'd just tape it down on the edges & seams so it can be replaced if necessary. Covering it with paper towel should also reduce outgassing.

I really don't know how much of an issue the outgassing is (but I tend to err on the side of caution). I do know that it's come up in questions about the product(s) on Amazon.
non-adhesive shelf liner "outgassing"
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B01J7X4XKI?reviewerType=all_reviews
https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/TxTXMTFS7W5N3P/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":1jv6blbz said:
Right. As far as out-gassing, I'd be more concerned with the liner material itself. I use it under the tile floor (taped seams & edges) to catch anything that may--pun intended--slip through the cracks. Keeps any out-gassing to a minimum, because there's no exposed vinyl.

Even though ZaRDoZ is paper trained, he isn't 100%, and does occasionally dump a big wet stinkie right on a seam between tiles. Fortunately, the Nature's Miracle for Stinky Dragons I use is very good at seeping down those same cracks, killing any odors, bacteria, etc. When opening the enclosure doors, all anyone can smell is basil (from the basil forest). IME, vinegar takes a while to dissipate--may be less of an issue with a screened/open top.

If you're using it as a liner under paper towel, I'd just tape it down on the edges & seams so it can be replaced if necessary. Covering it with paper towel should also reduce outgassing.

I really don't know how much of an issue the outgassing is (but I tend to err on the side of caution). I do know that it's come up in questions about the product(s) on Amazon.
non-adhesive shelf liner "outgassing"
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B01J7X4XKI?reviewerType=all_reviews
https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/TxTXMTFS7W5N3P/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza

Yes, I read all the posts about shelf liner on here, but not Amazon. I'm laid up right now and can't do much of anything but research. ?
I've seen you refer to the Natures Miracle. Didn't know they made something for dragons. I've used their cat stuff many times in the past. Swear by it! Nothing better.
Thanks for your replies and explanations, I appreciate it very much.
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":3gbwz4mm said:
I've seen you refer to the Natures Miracle. Didn't know they made something for dragons.
It's not specifically--that's just my little joke because it works so well. We've been using the original stuff with our Ol' Furfaces for nearly 40 years. It's this one. There used to be a lizard on the label or the ad--can't recall which. They also make a cage odor eliminator for small animals. I don't really know the difference. We bought a bottle of the first stuff back in Nov., and I'm still working on that--got about 1/4 of it left. Just a couple/few spritzes do the trick.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":wkyc8h57 said:
DragonPete":wkyc8h57 said:
I've seen you refer to the Natures Miracle. Didn't know they made something for dragons.
It's not specifically--that's just my little joke because it works so well. We've been using the original stuff with our Ol' Furfaces for nearly 40 years. It's this one. There used to be a lizard on the label or the ad--can't recall which. They also make a cage odor eliminator for small animals. I don't really know the difference. We bought a bottle of the first stuff back in Nov., and I'm still working on that--got about 1/4 of it left. Just a couple/few spritzes do the trick.

Hahaha! ? I thought they actually made something for dragons! ? Haven't needed to use NM for yrs but looks like the stray kitten I adopted hasn't quite figured out the litter box. ? Will need to get some as soon as I'm able. I buy white vinegar by the gallon so have been using that for now.?
Thanks!!
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":20dxpwih said:
MrSpectrum":20dxpwih said:
DragonPete":20dxpwih said:

Hahaha! ? I thought they actually made something for dragons! ?
I should have said, "that's just my little joke because it works so well and I have a stinky dragon!"

I buy white vinegar by the gallon so have been using that for now.?
I tried vinegar, but personally I couldn't take the odor/smell, it took too long to dissipate, and I didn't know how Z would feel about/react to it. Whatever works. :wink:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":1h7czp95 said:
DragonPete":1h7czp95 said:
MrSpectrum":1h7czp95 said:
DragonPete":1h7czp95 said:

Hahaha! ? I thought they actually made something for dragons! ?
I should have said, "that's just my little joke because it works so well and I have a stinky dragon!"

I buy white vinegar by the gallon so have been using that for now.?
I tried vinegar, but personally I couldn't take the odor/smell, it took too long to dissipate, and I didn't know how Z would feel about/react to it. Whatever works. :wink:

What I meant was I use vinegar for all kinds of cleaning not just Petey's tank. When I use it there, it is diluted and I rinse and dry well so there is little to no odor. I use it for mopping floors, cleaning windows, cleaning kittens accidents, etc. A cup in the rinse cycle does great to deodorize pet blankets and pillows. That's why I buy it by the gallon ? I consider it to be 1 of the best natural cleaners and deodorizer once it dries. 98% of stuff in my house is cleaned with vinegar, baking soda or Murphy's Oil soap.
?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":whm8hp4g said:
What I meant was I use vinegar for all kinds of cleaning not just Petey's tank. When I use it there, it is diluted and I rinse and dry well so there is little to no odor. I use it for mopping floors, cleaning windows, cleaning kittens accidents, etc. A cup in the rinse cycle does great to deodorize pet blankets and pillows. That's why I buy it by the gallon ? I consider it to be 1 of the best natural cleaners and deodorizer once it dries. 98% of stuff in my house is cleaned with vinegar, baking soda or Murphy's Oil soap.
?
-Dee
Baking soda I get (relate to)--DW buys it by the keg. (Kidding, but large containers) Corn starch is what we used to use to absorb puppy accidents (follow-up with NM). Lately, she's on a peroxide kick....
household uses for peroxide

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the link. The number 1 thing I use peroxide for is removing any type of blood in anything, clothes, carpet whatever. Blood is the worst! But if you use peroxide and no water until the stain is out, it will take out every bit of it. I had a diabetic cat for 5 yrs that I had to blood test several times a day (It's done on the edge of the ear) and he would shake his head and sling a drop or 2. Never had a stain after using peroxide. Will explore that link for sure!?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
How strong a solution of peroxide? Ol' Furface is going into surgery soon, and we expect some leakage.

(And this editor keeps giving me errors when I try to send PMs...)

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2ao82px3 said:
How strong a solution of peroxide? Ol' Furface is going into surgery soon, and we expect some leakage.

(And this editor keeps giving me errors when I try to send PMs...)
I can't send pms if I use any emojis.
But to the question, I use peroxide full strength. Put a few drops on the spot, just enough to cover it, let it bubble til it quits, blot with dry paper towel and repeat until it no longer bubbles. Then wash in cold after pretreating with something liquid, detergent, spray n wash, Dawn whatever. I have gotten out blood spots that had dried by doing this but the fresher the easier it is. I just use the basic, cheap 3% that I get at dollar store.
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":1tc7gzr5 said:
I use peroxide full strength.
My bad--I should have been clearer/more specific.
Peroxide is sold in different % strengths (2% to 50%+). What's the % on the bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom