A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
83213410_10104325445769280_176961371378810880_o.jpg

They grow so fast! They're both settling in it seems, enjoying their roaches, BSFL, and salad.
Wilbur sleeps on top of the cork, and comes down about 45 minutes after lights on to eat and then bask. CandyCane sleeps on the small branch. I ordered them each a comfy bed because seeing them sleep on the floor of the cage one night made me sad lol. Also check out this pose for CandyCane. She was like this for a few minutes all hanging out lol.
82896098_10104325533678110_5396851206012272640_n.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ha Wilbur is hilarious.

I love baby sleeping positions, they sleep in the darndest of spots lol.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
82892511_10104329636705610_1797501804024430592_n.jpg

Wilbur's enclosure. Finally have everything moved around and optimized for temperatures and how they like it. They really seem to enjoy their food bowls under the hammock for some reason. They're in and out of them all day.
82482544_10104329636720580_649679988966031360_n.jpg

83214323_10104329636795430_6035153723531984896_n.jpg

Wilbur's preferred basking position lol. They finally seem to have the appetites I was told they would have. I guess relocating and shedding around the same time really irritated them lol.
82506055_10104329636800420_4855499247258173440_n.jpg

CandyCane must have caught her reflection in the glass last night and was waving nonstop for probably 5-10 minutes. I tried to catch video but when I'd get close enough she'd stop.

Also still on the slow train for taming/acclimating them to us. No holding yet, just little pets until they try to get away, I can hand/tong feed CandyCane too but not Wilbur yet. The kids sometimes sit in front of the enclosures to get them used to their presence too.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would start handling them now --- little at a time in the tank --- or right in front of it - go slow approach from side -- they need to get used to having hands in the tank --- and supervise your kids --- we have more accidents w/ kids either being too rough - dropping them -- last nite we had someone little girl had the baby on her chest baby jumped off and little girl knelt on it - I am sure it has not survived - when approaching from the side and not overhead go slow --- you might want to have the kids try and hand feed the vegies ---
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":aho4fti3 said:
I would start handling them now --- little at a time in the tank --- or right in front of it - go slow approach from side -- they need to get used to having hands in the tank --- and supervise your kids --- we have more accidents w/ kids either being too rough - dropping them -- last nite we had someone little girl had the baby on her chest baby jumped off and little girl knelt on it - I am sure it has not survived - when approaching from the side and not overhead go slow --- you might want to have the kids try and hand feed the vegies ---
Karrie

Ok. Good to know. I've been worried about over stressing them. And yes, one dragon out at a time, one kid in the den at a time, dog locked up. I definitely don't want any accident like you described. The kids and I would all be devastated. I have told them that when they do hold them if the dragon jumps or runs off to NOT move, because I know that would be their first instinct. My sister had an accident similar to what you described with a duck when we were growing up and I know how traumatizing that was for me so I'll definitely be careful with these two babies. Also already needed to order more dubias. One tub left of the BSFL and not very many roaches left. Kids have handfed veggies and tong fed feeders, I'm trying my hardest not to take over lol. Thanks for the info again, the kids can have their first holding this afternoon. One question though, Wilbur is a lot more resistant to contact than CandyCane. Is there any point where it's pushing him too much versus him just needing to get used to us and he needs to deal with it? He has hissed a few times.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For some reason males are more aggressive -- mine was terrible - he is not as bad w/ the hissing and flaring up now but it has been months w/ him --- he was the runt of the clutch and just mean --- we got him around 2.5 months and he is now 7 months old -- we are atleast able to pick him up now w/ out using a glove - he was biting - he bit my husband a couple of times and drew blood -- so it depends on the dragon -- Hiccup was not like that - hes my oldest - he has never or ever did bite - hissed but no biting - Blaze different story--- so watch Wilburs behavior - you may haft to take over taming him and getting him used to the hand being held etc.............. let your son w/ work CandyCane if she is more acceptable - a couple of times a day is good -- not long as far as holding enough to get them used to it constant routine so they will know eventually what to expect and it will build trust --
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3ek5ru00 said:
For some reason males are more aggressive -- mine was terrible - he is not as bad w/ the hissing and flaring up now but it has been months w/ him --- he was the runt of the clutch and just mean --- we got him around 2.5 months and he is now 7 months old -- we are atleast able to pick him up now w/ out using a glove - he was biting - he bit my husband a couple of times and drew blood -- so it depends on the dragon -- Hiccup was not like that - hes my oldest - he has never or ever did bite - hissed but no biting - Blaze different story--- so watch Wilburs behavior - you may haft to take over taming him and getting him used to the hand being held etc.............. let your son w/ work CandyCane if she is more acceptable - a couple of times a day is good -- not long as far as holding enough to get them used to it constant routine so they will know eventually what to expect and it will build trust --
Karrie

Ok thanks! He's never tried to bite, but he's hissed a few times. He has let me pet him without issues, other times he runs away. I explained to my son imagine a giant hand coming in through the living room window and grabbing at you, so he's been remarkably patient for 8 years old lol.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
+1 to what Karrie said... slow and steady, approach from below. Maybe have the kids sit on the floor and bring their dragons to them at first. I haven't any advice about Wilbur's hissing... Figment was always pretty chill, except for running away from me when he was in that "omigidshesgonnaeatme" phase! Karrie has much more experience with feisty dragons from the sound of it!

One thing I used to recommend when I raised and sold gerbils was "tub time" with kids 8 and under... have the kids sit in a dry tub to hold their pets. That way, even if the critter jumps and tries to run, they can't get under anything and hide. Might work!

Have you put a much-worn shirt into Wilbur's tank to help him get used to your son's scent? I've heard some people do that.

Good luck as you start the handling phase! :D

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":1777idzp said:
+1 to what Karrie said... slow and steady, approach from below. Maybe have the kids sit on the floor and bring their dragons to them at first. I haven't any advice about Wilbur's hissing... Figment was always pretty chill, except for running away from me when he was in that "omigidshesgonnaeatme" phase! Karrie has much more experience with feisty dragons from the sound of it!

One thing I used to recommend when I raised and sold gerbils was "tub time" with kids 8 and under... have the kids sit in a dry tub to hold their pets. That way, even if the critter jumps and tries to run, they can't get under anything and hide. Might work!

Have you put a much-worn shirt into Wilbur's tank to help him get used to your son's scent? I've heard some people do that.

Good luck as you start the handling phase! :D
I'll try the shirt thing! They do have new beds I can just put a piece on there. I think he's mostly hissed when he's startled. He's never done it while he's on the branch, more so when he's on top of the cork in the tank since that is his sleeping spot. And, he is also at the bottom which means his view of us isn't as great as CandyCane's so I'm sure that's a factor as well.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok got to hold Wilbur for a little while in his enclosure. Not long, maybe 30 seconds lol but it's the first time! He's now up on his cork though and settling in for bedtime...1 hour before lights turn out like usual lol. CandyCane seems to be more tame today than previously as well. Stays where she is while our hands are in the enclosure and just watches and tilts her head.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
83117608_10104342234963600_7896091472963829760_n.jpg

Wilburs head and front legs are in shed and he’s getting so chunky. They love eating and are definitely getting used to our presence now. It’s crazy how fast they grow!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
opaquelace":2jg80vj5 said:
It’s crazy how fast they grow!
It's depressing! Just wait till they are grown and you're looking back on how cute they were when they were tiny! :(

If I had my way they would be staying tiny forever lol.

Wilbur looks a lot like my Suki.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3vw7fvb3 said:
opaquelace":3vw7fvb3 said:
It’s crazy how fast they grow!
It's depressing! Just wait till they are grown and you're looking back on how cute they were when they were tiny! :(

If I had my way they would be staying tiny forever lol.

Wilbur looks a lot like my Suki.

-Brandon

I love the way your Suki looks so I'll love that! He's so bright it's hard to get a picture of it, which it seems everyone says but it's so true! He's got almost neon orange/red circles along his spine and I can't wait to see how he develops. My son was so happy yesterday because he got to pet Wilbur for a bit while I held him. I can definitely see why people who purchase one dragon end up with a room full of the. They're all so different and watching them grow up and change is fun. My husband and I used to do saltwater tanks but I think this might be our new hobby lol.

Also, as the dragons get bigger, so do their poops. Holy moly!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
86291173_10104371824171590_4500806786231566336_o.jpg

85163337_10104371824216500_857667345097687040_o.jpg

86216626_10104371824271390_2493375652317626368_o.jpg

84856470_10104371824316300_3700503071583895552_o.jpg

84417843_10104371824371190_7344690768205840384_o.jpg

Big photo dump! They've grown a lot since the last pictures I posted. They're about a foot long now, and their heads are no longer round baby heads but are starting to look more triangular. Both have had baths to loosen their current shed. CandyCane didn't seem to like hers, Wilbur didn't seem to mind. They're eating like pigs. I can't even explain how many roaches and BSFL we've gone through lol. I've had to make multiple orders and it's barely been a month! Also feel free to move this to the "introductions" category as I'll probably always post updates in this thread! The kids love to watch them and feed them, we haven't totally worked up to them holding them yet for any extended period of time. Mostly pets in the enclosure and holding in the enclosure.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Jesus where did the babies go!

Wilbur looks like an absolute tank! Candycane is looking great too.
PS. Have I told you how much I love both of those names lol.

opaquelace":33swz5de said:
Also feel free to move this to the "introductions" category as I'll probably always post updates in this thread!
If you don't mind, I'll move it to the Beardie Tales section. Thats where most of us keep our "journals" of our dragons. Introductions is more so for new members to introduce themselves and for new dragons to be introduced. :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom