Please help!! Beardie foot infection/ rot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
107269-4000008786.jpg
My bearded Dragon is a little over a year old and recently his foot has become red and infected. His toe appears to be black. What do i do?? are there at home remedies or do i have to take him to the vet?? Please help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can try some unpasteurized honey w/warm water mix- put on infected area for now-- make sure you have NO CRICKETS in that tank they will go straight for the foot--- next I would call a reptile vet and get her in -- here's a website to find a vet---
www.arav.org
Karrie

olivia12345

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3qd7yqcx said:
You can try some unpasteurized honey w/warm water mix- put on infected area for now-- make sure you have NO CRICKETS in that tank they will go straight for the foot--- next I would call a reptile vet and get her in -- here's a website to find a vet---
http://www.arav.org
Karrie
Thank you!! how often should i put the mixture on until i can go to the vet?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would do 2 times per day -unless otherwise advised by traciedrache613 or ahbd
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that doesn't look very good at all. How long has it looked & been infected?
Definitely use some raw, unpasteurized honey or manuka honey if you have it or
can get it.
Do you know what initially caused it, a cricket bite possibly? Are any other hands or
feet swollen or just the one?

Tracie

olivia12345

Original Poster
Drache613":1484u65c said:
Hello,

Wow, that doesn't look very good at all. How long has it looked & been infected?
Definitely use some raw, unpasteurized honey or manuka honey if you have it or
can get it.
Do you know what initially caused it, a cricket bite possibly? Are any other hands or
feet swollen or just the one?

Tracie
I don’t think it was a cricket bite because he usually eats them very fast and doesn’t let them get far. I have no idea what caused it, sometimes mealworms craw out of his bowl and i’m wondering if maybe they irritated his
foot. Not quite sure. I’ve used the honey a few times since it was offered up and i see very slight improvements but not too much. I noticed it his foot id say a week ago at most. Also that one foot is the most infected but on his other back foot it has a SMALL red patch.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You might want to get him into the vet then -- I gave you a website unless Tracie Drache613 can help more w/ something else as far as the honey/ water solution
Karrie

olivia12345

Original Poster
KarrieRee":32u23nfg said:
You might want to get him into the vet then -- I gave you a website unless Tracie Drache613 can help more w/ something else as far as the honey/ water solution
Karrie
yeah i definitely will be taking him to the vet soon! thank you for your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, so his other foot has a few issues now also?
I would remove all insects from his tank overnight. Mealworms burrow & technically they could
bite him, simply looking for food.
Definitely try to get him to a vet for analysis because infections can cause them to become ill.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

olivia12345

Original Poster
Drache613":ikbcgtin said:
Hello,

Oh no, so his other foot has a few issues now also?
I would remove all insects from his tank overnight. Mealworms burrow & technically they could
bite him, simply looking for food.
Definitely try to get him to a vet for analysis because infections can cause them to become ill.

Tracie
i took him to the vet and they said he has stuck shed! they gave me an antibiotic and a cream for the cut on his foot. im going to be bathing him once everyday until his skin starts to loosen up and the shed starts to start. do you have any tips for stuck shed? any other ways to get it to start to peel?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh really, poor thing!
You can try some aloe vera gel, coconut oil, shea butter or glycerin to help with stuck shed.
You can also bathe him a few times per week to see if that helps also.
I hope his foot feels better soon. Since he will be on an antibiotic, be sure to keep him well
hydrated during this time, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom