Taking in a foster

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be taking in a foster for our local SPCA. He's in bad shape. At this time, I don't have a proper second enclosure (not moving Charlie out of his digs, he'd be pissed!). Just wondering if you guys have thoughts on what would be best to use. I was thinking about getting a large tub, but I'm concerned about fumes. Looking for thoughts from others.

And my guy, Charlie - is doing his crankiest best LOL! I get the stink eye every day...

Thanks in advance!
Gwen

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would not do a tub -- have you looked on FB marketplace or craigslist for maybe a 40 gallon tank - ? I would start there
Karrie

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I've been looking...nothing. BUT the local petsmart has a sale on those kits (40gal). Not ideal, but I think I'll grab it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds good but do not use that 13 watt coil bulb --- they are NO GOOD-- you want a tube uvb best on market at this time is the Reptisun 10.0 either the T 5 or T 8

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Oh absolutely! I use the T5 for my guy at home. Problem is - I'm not sure our LPS has any. If not, I'll have to make due with the coil until I can get an Amazon order in (I'll be confirming tonight if they have any or not).

I want to make sure to give this guy the best I can. I know he's not in the best condition. He looks very thin (I haven't seen him in person yet). I know he was abused (hence why I'll be fostering him). Once I know I'm allowed to, I'll give more details. There's an investigation going on at this time. Poor baby deserves all the love.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Unfortunately, I'm in Canada...they can't ship the T5s here. blarg.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you are able to take him in. He will get excellent care with you. When is he going to arrive? If you can post photos of him when he arrives we can help you gauge his apparent health and work with you on any care and treatment needed for sure. For housing, a large clear tote bin might work in a pinch, but I'd go with either a 40g breeder (I keep one on hand for emergency rescues) or build up a wooden enclosure to have on hand as a longer term option.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Thanks Cooperdragon! I'm expecting him tomorrow (he sees the vet Friday morning, hence the delay in getting him). I did end up buying a 40 gallon 'set' - Zoo med - gawd, they even had calcium sand in it :banghead: I've laid paper towel down as substrate for now so I can monitor his poos. I've ordered a T5 10.0 bulb for him (due to come next Tuesday), unfortunately none of my LPS have any. In the meantime, he'll be set up with a basking bulb, CHE and one of those coil UVB (not ideal, but only until Tuesday). I have a temp gun and plan on testing the temps tonight once I get it all plugged in. I have the enclosure bare bones for now until I get a good look at him. Here's the news story with the video of him being abused *trigger warning* https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/n-b-spca-seizes-lizard-in-saint-john-after-report-of-abuse-1.4797419 He looks sooo thin. I doubt he's had anything but crickets or such. Right now, I have NO info other that what the public knows and that his name is Carl <3

I've already warned the kids that depending on his condition, this may be more palliative care vs foster. All depends on what the vet says tomorrow. My contact said there was something with his skin - I'm praying like crazy that it's not yellow fungus. ugh. I'm assuming the'll know more tomorrow. I need to get a decent hide for him. was debating temporarily using a box...bad timing money wise, but the officer knows I have experience with sick beardies (still miss my Evee like crazy). He doesn't look to have anything broken, but seeing the way he was handled, I wouldn't be surprised if he's completely traumatized and off food. I'm going to pick up some hornworms just to get him eating, and go from there. I've already pureed fruit and veggies for him.

I'll post pictures of him once I get him settled in.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I thought the newscaster said he appeared to be OK (or did I hear that wrong?)
I have no doubts you'll do right by him. A box hide is fine for the time being; most decor aesthetics are for our benefit--not theirs. :wink:

Best wishes

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Yeah he did, but public and all that. He looks very thin. Hoping he'll be ok. I'll fix him up for a loving family ❤

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The T5 arriving tuesday should be fine. The compact bulb should be OK too, especially if it's the stronger 26w version (their output is similar to a T8 in terms of intensity). Paper towel is a good idea too. That or newspaper. Something easy to change out and clean regularly. So disgusting that people could treat an animal like this. Does NB include reptiles in animal abuse laws? I hope so.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
CooperDragon":1q1trn5a said:
The T5 arriving tuesday should be fine. The compact bulb should be OK too, especially if it's the stronger 26w version (their output is similar to a T8 in terms of intensity). Paper towel is a good idea too. That or newspaper. Something easy to change out and clean regularly. So disgusting that people could treat an animal like this. Does NB include reptiles in animal abuse laws? I hope so.

Unfortunately, animals in our province (at this time) are considered property. You can be charged with abuse, but the judgements are almost always a slap on the wrists - fines, ban from owning animals, very rarely jail time if any. People are fighting this. The NBSPCA officers are passionate about their work and educate the public as much as they can. It doesn't help that our province is the poorest in the country and have little ability to fund them more. The officers and shelter workers are heroes to me.

I'll have to check the wattage on the coil bulb...I don't get a newspaper, so paper towel it is lol, at least until I can get some tile.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor guy, glad that he's out of that situation and in good hands. :) Although he's thin he's not emaciated and had good energy in the video. The scales just look dirty + probably have had uneven shed but nothing else pops out that looks too bad, although the video is grainy. I don't think he has any serios medical problem [ unless there IS Y.F. ] so I think he'll recupe and do well for you. Post some pics when you get him home. I would have waited on the vet visit since they just had him seen, plus he's going from one place to another causing stress. Letting him settle in + eat, then getting a poo sample tested in about 2- 3 weeks would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom