Is this yellow fungus??? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorBeano

Hello, I have a pygmy bearded dragon, female, approximately 4 years old now. Recently she laid some eggs (not sure if its relevent or not), and I have just noticed yesterday evening while I had her out that she has some scales that look stained yellow. There are also a few scales that are brown and crusty looking. She is my first bearded dragon and I had never heard of yellow fungus. I did some research as soon as I saw this on her and began stressing as I see it is pretty much a death sentence :(
Here are pictures of the areas I found.
Main Area:
107311-3303226298.jpg

Close up of this area:
107311-5788077381.jpg

Little area of yellow below her mouth:
107311-5675811414.jpg

Brown spots on her arm:
107311-7576853819.jpg

And here is a picture of my sweet girl:
107311-8627972770.jpg

A little context:
I got her from a pet store and she was one of the last 2 left. She had a few injuries as she had been the runt of the group and been a bit bullied. These injuries include her left arm which appeared to have been broken and healed upside down and a few missing claws. The pet store realised she had these injuries and told me I could take a different dragon, however she seemed bright and happy and I wanted her to live a better life than stuck in a pet store.
Her enclosure is 900mm x 600mm x 600mm (LxWxH), keeping in mind she is a pgymy. Her basking spot is about 35 degrees Celcius and the cool side is about 28. I used artificial grass for the substrate, but did take rocks from outside. However I washed them thoroughly and soaked them in boiling water for a while before I put them in. I did put some plants in for a bit of life - two aloe veras and a sedum. She does not eat the plants.
She mainly eats crickets but also black soldier fly larvae and superworms. She rarely eats vegetables (much to my annoyance), and I have tried every method to get her to eat them.

I should also mention: She has been acting just like her normal self, being active although sleeping and hiding sometimes, and eating and pooping normally.

Anyway, it would be much appreciated if you could tell me whether this is yellow fungus or not, and also, what do I do if it is?! I don't want her to end up in pain or suffering :(

Thank you, Ben.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Ben,

The best I can tell those areas are not yellow fungus. It mostly looks like older skin that
is probably going to shed. You can definitely keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn't change
or appear to spread but I'm pretty sure it isn't fungal.
Are you in Australia? She is a little cutie, absolutely. Since she is a pygmy, she might not
really eat her greens/veggies like a bearded dragon does. You can definitely keep trying to
get her to eat them though, eventually she might decide that they are food.

Tracie

DoctorBeano

Original Poster
I am very glad to hear that news! But I will definitely keep an eye on it.
And yes, I live in Australia, more specifically south Australia.

Thank you!
Ben

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Ben,

Excellent, South Australia sounds terrific!
Feel free to post more pictures of your girl, too. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavenbeardies
Top Bottom