Jumping into glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack92011

Hey, guys!

I appreciate any help with this issue, thanks in advance!

Today I got my beardie a new tank. The temps on the warm side are circa 85 and 90 air temps, the basking temp is between 95 and 105 depending on location and gradient. The cool side fluctuates with the day between 75 and 85.

Since putting him in the new tank, he has been jumping into the glass. Not just glass surfing/dancing, but straight up jumping from decor to the glass. My assumption is that he's just learning the new boundaries (a good bit larger than the precuous viv, and has clearer glass) and trying to jump on exterior objects. Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice on the subject? Are there any other reasons or explanations for this behavior?

I also changed his substrate to sand, which he seems to enjoy. I understand the risks involved with this, but I do feed him live food outside of the enclosure and have some materials to create a ledge away from the sand to hold snacks and veggies. It's no issue to change the water every day either.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would ditch the sand -- causes impaction as they lick everything and harbors bacteria --- I would go w/ some thing easier to clean like textured NON adhesive shelf liner or a textured ceramic tile - both are cheap and easy to clean and more sanitary--- as far as the jumping into the glass I would put some wrapping paper newspaper magazine pages something that they cant see themselves - she is seeing something she thinks she can get to-- put it on the outside of the tank --- she will go thru relocation stress that is normal - but you dont want her hurting her self w/ all the jumping shes doing
Karrie

Mack92011

Original Poster
Hey, KarrieRee!

Thanks for the response. I actually got the sand out and got some tile today, I have to cut a few pieces to get a perfect fit, for the time being I have paper towels lining the uncovered areas.

As for the jumping issue, I do have a background on the way due to arrive any day. In the meantime, I'll take your advice and cover the back and sides with something to block the view.

Thanks for the advice! I surely appreciate it! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thats a guess as to why he/ she is doing that --- see if it helps tho -- I know it will take a little time to adjust to the new tank but the constantly jumping is not good - is there another dragon in the house that she/he can see?
Karrie

Mack92011

Original Poster
A guess is better than what I currently have, so I'll take it! lol

No other reptiles in the home yet. I have some dogs, but I don't see a correlation between them being around and him/her (just getting to the age where sexing should be possible from what I understand, so I'm not entirely sure). It typically happens at random times. I've seem him do it a few times, but a random thud can be heard every few hours. No other odd behavior, he is active and doesn't show any visible signs of major stress.

On a side note, on changing over to tile, any advice on placement and keeping it still? I understand leaving it loose makes it easier to clean, but it seems like it can be scooted quite easily, and I don't want to risk Smaug getting pinched.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Cut it to the size of the tank - lay it in there loose no glue or grout --- take some thicker paper towels like shop paper towels I have some they are blue I think you can get them at Walmart - put them under all the tile so you have a layer of paper towels under the tile - it absorbs the watery/ urate underneath and makes it easier to clean up - use a vinegar/water 50/50 in a spray bottle to clean your tile - gets rid of the smell - you can smell the vinegar for a little bit but it does dissipate - it should keep the tiles from slipping in there too - I havent had any slippage from them or moving around in there w/ the towels in there
Karrie

Mack92011

Original Poster
You are the bomb! I'm working on getting the back and sides temporarily covered until the background comes in. When placing the tile I'll place some thick paper towels under them.

Sorry for the noob questions, but I've not had many reptiles, so thanks for your responses and patience.

- Mackenzie

Mack92011

Original Poster
Hey, there!

I just wanted to post an update on Smaug!

Since he's acclimated to his new tank and I have the back and the trouble side covered I haven't seen or heard him jumping against the glass. He only glass surfs occasionally, I believe it's only when he is bored or hungry. I haven't seen any stress marks in well over a week, so he seems to be pretty darn happy at this point! He has also seemed to explore more often before returning to his hammock.

Thanks for all of the advice and assistance! :D

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Mack92011":2hkm9rnw said:
Hey, there!

I just wanted to post an update on Smaug!

Since he's acclimated to his new tank and I have the back and the trouble side covered I haven't seen or heard him jumping against the glass. He only glass surfs occasionally, I believe it's only when he is bored or hungry. I haven't seen any stress marks in well over a week, so he seems to be pretty darn happy at this point! He has also seemed to explore more often before returning to his hammock.

Thanks for all of the advice and assistance! :D

Sounds like Smaug is settling in nicely! How 'bout some pics? We love to see!
-Dee

Mack92011

Original Poster
Absolutely!

He just ate and he doesn't much like to be held when he's full or when he is in hunting mode, so I figured I'd let him be in his cage. lol

104375-4834071407.jpg
104375-4799250630.jpg
104375-9535628310.jpg
104375-157872807.jpg
104375-757994410.jpg
104375-7772620213.jpg
He caught me watching him check out his dry food bowl.
104375-2826075987.jpg
104375-8434490012.jpg
104375-1192739453.jpg
104375-5676034396.jpg
I GOT THEM! THE RARE PICTURE OF HIM EATING HIS VEGGIES!!!!!
104375-3063440719.jpg
104375-4502656050.jpg

And if there is anything that is wrong with the vivarium or anything else I can do, please let me know! I have a foam piece designed, I just have to grout, paint, and seal it to give him a better hide towards the hot side of the enclosure as well. Of course, even since he was a baby he NEVER wanted to hide.

Mack92011

Original Poster
DragonPete":2d9noeck said:
Oh handsome! Love the viv too.? And an 'attaboy' to Smaug for munching his veggies!
-Dee

Thank ya much! I'll pass the message along to him. :D

He had plenty of Dubias earlier as well, so I'm surprised he ate so many veggies, but he did well!

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Mack92011":19ad1khv said:
DragonPete":19ad1khv said:
Oh handsome! Love the viv too.? And an 'attaboy' to Smaug for munching his veggies!
-Dee

Thank ya much! I'll pass the message along to him. :D

He had plenty of Dubias earlier as well, so I'm surprised he ate so many veggies, but he did well!

I know some have to be really bribed to get them to eat veggies. I'm so lucky my Petey loves his salads and eats pretty much anything I put in front of him.
Glad your boy is liking his veggies. ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom