Storm Tonight: How Do I keep my beardie warm?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hey everyone!

It seems we are going to have a powerful storm today. Our power just flickered along with internet :banghead: Just in case the power goes out, how can I keep my bearded dragon warm? Should I just burrito him in a blanket?

Thanks for the suggestions!
Selkie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Same thing is happening to us, there's a stickyed thread in general discussion on how to prepare for an emergency. That should help you.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
HippieLizards":jhuzy4dn said:
Same thing is happening to us, there's a stickyed thread in general discussion on how to prepare for an emergency. That should help you.

Thank you! Super nervous >_> I've had to evacuate with two huge goldfish and 2 frogs AND a cat, but a beardie needs so much attention.

Be safe!

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Honestly, as long as you can keep your beardie warm - blankets, near a heat source (fire), and fed, he'll be fine. We've lost power at our old place, Charlie was fine. Then we got a generator and he's enclosure was priority 1 LOL :) I totally get the anxiety, but they are hardier that way than you would think. A beardie burrito would be so freaking cute!

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
NBGwen":6m57nfe2 said:
Honestly, as long as you can keep your beardie warm - blankets, near a heat source (fire), and fed, he'll be fine. We've lost power at our old place, Charlie was fine. Then we got a generator and he's enclosure was priority 1 LOL :) I totally get the anxiety, but they are hardier that way than you would think. A beardie burrito would be so freaking cute!

Thank you for the response!
Im in Charleston, SC and honestly the weather's been a bit weird this month. I've had to switch throughout the day from heat to air conditioning because of 20 degree drops between morning and night. Drogon loves blankets though, so I really shouldn't be that worried :lol:

Be safe everyone!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Yikes, Right now we're at our relatives house as they have power. Thankfully my house is no longer in danger, and the dragons all have temporary heat until the power is back on. This thread should help you: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=253100 I Hope your animals and you will be safe!!!

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Selkie1993":3j9hd57a said:
Thank you for the response!
Im in Charleston, SC and honestly the weather's been a bit weird this month. I've had to switch throughout the day from heat to air conditioning because of 20 degree drops between morning and night. Drogon loves blankets though, so I really shouldn't be that worried :lol:

Be safe everyone!

HAHA - I'm in Atlantic Canada...we're getting a big snowstorm tonight! The cold is real lol! The generator is a must - too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer.

HippieLizards":3j9hd57a said:
Yikes, Right now we're at our relatives house as they have power. Thankfully my house is no longer in danger, and the dragons all have temporary heat until the power is back on. This thread should help you: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=253100 I Hope your animals and you will be safe!!!

I read this post - it's great! Definitely good to plan ahead like this.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
We're expecting some weather in the next 24 hrs here in Colorado as well. Just one note that a blanket by itself will not do anything except maybe keeping off a draft. There must be a source of heat to trap or our cold-blooded friends will end up at whatever ambient temperature is. You could wrap a hand warmer in the blanket as long as there's no direct contact & your little one can get out if he/she gets too warm. You could also tuck them into a hand towel and "wear" them inside a layer of clothes so that your body heat gets to them if things get below around 60*F.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
I'm thinking having those heat packs, hand warmer thingies, would be a really good idea to keep on hand. We're having the storms, too, in NC. Already have 105k+ people without power, as of now. I'm lucky, the power lines in my area are underground and we rarely loose power because of it.
Worse comes to worst, I'll make warm water for warm water bottles with a sterno kit I have in my camping gear, as a last resort. Stuff like that I keep in my 'hurricane kit' anyway.
Keeping fingers crossed for you to come out of the storms unscathed and with power! ?
-Dee

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
DragonPete":342ysy0y said:
I'm thinking having those heat packs, hand warmer thingies, would be a really good idea to keep on hand. We're having the storms, too, in NC. Already have 105k+ people without power, as of now. I'm lucky, the power lines in my area are underground and we rarely loose power because of it.
Worse comes to worst, I'll make warm water for warm water bottles with a sterno kit I have in my camping gear, as a last resort. Stuff like that I keep in my 'hurricane kit' anyway.
Keeping fingers crossed for you to come out of the storms unscathed and with power! ?
-Dee
We're in NC too, Our power lines are underground as well but we're thinking there's a tree down in our main line. Still no power yet. :|

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
HippieLizards":2490rjpx said:
DragonPete":2490rjpx said:
-Dee
We're in NC too, Our power lines are underground as well but we're thinking there's a tree down in our main line. Still no power yet. :|

I didn't say we COULDNT lose power, just rarely do. ? On the rare occasion it happens, it's always a surprise. I think we have lost it for less than an hour maybe once in the 3yrs I've been here. It's flickered a couple times. I'm sure it's similar for you. Because it happened regularly where I used to live, I have my emergency box. It's predominately for hurricane season but comes in handy. Like power banks to be able to keep phone charged, battery powered everything ?, t.v., lights, fan, etc. Extra batteries. ? Yeah, I prefer to be prepared. LOL!
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom