UV and beardies (in wild)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
claudiusx":1x8m08e5 said:
kingofnobbys":1x8m08e5 said:
Note 38 degC and the dragons are seeking shady spots.
But their body surface temp was 41.
And of course we dont know if they were seeking the shade for the uv protection or the cooler temps. Or both.

Anyways, body temp of 41c agrees with the study I posted awhile back too. :)

Another interesting thing to point out about the video - and everyone who has a 6.5 knows, small differences in placement can have a huge effect on UV exposure. You saw at first that in the sparse shade of the bush, the uvi was around 5. But him simply getting it a few inches closer into the shade quickly dropped it into the 2 range. It's too bad they didnt start the recording sooner to show exactly where the dragon was hanging out before they spooked him.

However I agree, would be cool for him to show more videos and data like this :)

-Brandon

Which showed a much higher heart rates (at 41 degC body temperature , which btw is somewhat higher then the POBT for bearded dragons ) , an indicator of thermal stress which is a point I made in the posts that "someone" deleted.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":18q0q8r5 said:
OK, this time ya got me. What's POBT (Guessing the BT is Body Temperature?)
preferred operating body temperature ( is 36 degC for a bearded dragon ).

Ref to
A Guide to Australian Dragons In Captivity
D.BROWN
ISBN: 9780987244727

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Looks like a great book, but I can't justify ~$120 (USD)! For that kind of money, it must be OOP. :(
(Old School--I can't/don't do kindle).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2vsgyo59 said:
Looks like a great book, but I can't justify ~$120 (USD)! For that kind of money, it must be OOP. :(
(Old School--I can't/don't do kindle).

Old school for me too, I like to have it and others in the collection handy with dogeared pages and sticky notes indicating relevant info for quick reference.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":zdh69rfv said:
Old school for me too, I like to have it and others in the collection handy with dogeared pages and sticky notes indicating relevant info for quick reference.
I figured. Great minds think alike and all... :lol:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":18t5bpy3 said:
kingofnobbys":18t5bpy3 said:
I figured. Great minds think alike and all... :lol:

I've accumulated a very extensive personal library ( a 2 full walls floor to ceiling + 3 filing cabinets full ( overflow ) . I've never been one to sell my textbooks when I was finished a topic or subject , and accumulated more through interest and need to extend my knowledge over my career.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Some people (DW) would call that hoarding. The last time she ripped into me for it, I blankly stared past her into her "quilting area" (she's a quilter). She turned around and looked at the stacks of bins of fabrics, drawers of "fat quarters", cabinets of doodads, piles of assorted quilting paraphernalia, etc., etc., etc., then turned back to me and had the temerity to say, "That's different."

Uh-huh.
Marriage is a wonderful institution... but who wants to live in an institution?
---Groucho Marx

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":29rl7q2v said:
Some people (DW) would call that hoarding. The last time she ripped into me for it, I blankly stared past her into her "quilting area" (she's a quilter). She turned around and looked at the stacks of bins of fabrics, drawers of "fat quarters", cabinets of doodads, piles of assorted quilting paraphernalia, etc., etc., etc., then turned back to me and had the temerity to say, "That's different."

Uh-huh.
Marriage is a wonderful institution... but who wants to live in an institution?
---Groucho Marx

Considering many of these books cost $300 or more when I bought them originally and I've often had cause to refer to them in the course my career .
They are an asset worth keeping. Perhaps my grandson or maybe a grandnephew or grandniece might one day need access to them if follow me into a scientific or engineering career.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom