Constant coughing and perhaps vomit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is not an emergency, but I'm not familiar with respiratory infections, I just know they can end io being fatal and my beardie is coughing nonstop. She had been having issues breathing a few weeks ago, but after doing research I assumed it was because her nose was shedding and she was plugged up. Today, however, I came home and she was coughing again, once every 10 seconds I’d say. I fed her food that she ate, but I left the room for a while and when I came back there was a pile of undigested worms that I’d just fed her, but I don't know if its vomit or poop. I'm scheduling an appointment with the vet right now, how soon do I need it scheduled? Am I overreacting?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Can you post a pic of her? Does she have mucous coming out of the nose or mouth ? What are her basking temps and how are you taking them? Undigested food could come from basking temps not being high enough --- can you post a pic of the stuff that was thrown up or out the other end? Here is a website to find a reptile vet -------------- www.arav.org
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl, hopefully you can get a qualified reptile vet to see about the R.I. Undigested pile of worms sounds like vomit but pics are always helpful. If these were superworms or mealworms, how many were fed ? Beardies can have a harder time digesting them, esp. if they eat a lot at one sitting.

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
There is no mucus coming out of her nose, and I already got rid of the poop/vomit without taking a picture. It was somewhat dark so I thought it might be poop, but I fed her minutes before it happened and she has never had undigested worms before. Her basking temp is 108F, I measure with a digital thermometer. She is frequently opening her mouth while in the basking spot.
107196-8145636161.jpg
107196-1065096162.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Too many at one time often come back out undigested as they eat them too fast --- when feeding them feed small amount and slow - the opening of the mouth under the basking light is usually them gaping or adjusting their body temps --as for the coughing not sure what that could be
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ah yes, Phoenix worms often come out undigested. Makes them a waste of money if it happens too often. Your girl looks very healthy in the pics, does she spend most of her time in her tank or very much time out of the tank ?

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
She spends most her time inside her tank (I make sure to keep her in for a few hours after eating, if that's what you were thinking). I’m going to start giving her one at a time so she won't eat them so quickly, hopefully that'll solve the problem. She usually digests them just fine, I think today she just ate them super fast.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, too many at one time of any type of feeder can often cause stomach distress.
I would get a fecal done on her to determine whether or not she has worms or parasites.
If she isn't basking enough that could also decrease her ability to digest properly as well.
Her physical condition looks good, her weight is acceptable.
Try not to feed her too late, & give her a couple of hours to digest prior to her lights out or
bedtime.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom